(correct me if im wrong) but the Su-57 has more wing area, more lift and has a better wing-load capacity correct? the Su-75 just has the ability to carry more weapons, a better radar and a single engine. (with the loss of wing area thus increasing the distance/airspeed needed for takeoff/manuevers) however what really changes everything is mostly the targeting designation/priority system

the Su-75 just has the ability to carry more weapons
No
a better radar
No
like i said correct me if im wrong.....

care to elaborate?
the Su-75 has a maximum payload capacity of 7,400 kg with only 5 missiles and an auto-cannon
the Su-57 can carry four beyond-visual-range missiles in its two main weapons bays and two short-range missiles in the side bays.

as for the radar system
Su-57:

Byelka
Engaged Aerial Targets16
Max Detection Range (kilometer)400
T/R Modules2,238
Tracked Aerial Targets60

Su-75: not entirely sure tbh. could be new. could be old.

Last edited:
the Su-75 has a maximum payload capacity of 7,400 kg with only 5 missiles and an auto-cannon
the Su-57 can carry four beyond-visual-range missiles in its two main weapons bays and two short-range missiles in the side bays.
Pure numbers of carried weight are barely relevant if there is no munitions arragement that fits into said weight. Number of missiles in Su-57 bays is still hanging unconfirmed. And overally it's quite simple: one main bay and two aux, vs two main bays and two aux.

Pure numbers of carried weight are barely relevant if there is no munitions arragement that fits into said weight. Number of missiles in Su-57 bays is still hanging unconfirmed. And overally it's quite simple: one main bay and two aux, vs two main bays and two aux.
true that. then again the Su-75 has a few configurations availible (according to Sukhoi)

Maybe this version, i've made without unnecessary elements will be better. Here we can see that 75 is bigger than expected before
thanks for this picture

here are some quick shops ive made

nose to nose comparison
Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 8.29.06.png

Overlap by nose. The nose is pretty much perfect with each other in size

Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 8.30.08.png

Overlap by wing.. virtually the same
Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 8.30.32.png

I think we were given a hint when during the checkmate release event it said it can carry five A2A missiles internally. The checkmate's underbelly internal bay looks almost identical to the two su-57 internal bays. Their size I think are nearly identical. It is an assumption but I think it is a safe one to say that the su-57 would be able to carry three A2A r-77m in each underbelly bay as well as one r-74m2 in each side bay. So the su-57 most likely (in my opinion) can carry eight A2A missiles internally.

Btw with the new pictures, you can see that the checkmate uses very, very similar wings and vertical stabilizers to the su-57. It is incredible.

Maybe this version, i've made without unnecessary elements will be better. Here we can see that 75 is bigger than expected before
thanks for this picture

nose to nose comparison
View attachment 667638

View attachment 667639

View attachment 667640
Great work! And though the checkmate is indeed large I think you sized it a bit bigger than it actually is. Note the engine nozzle size differences. They should be identical. Note the su-57 prototype/model is sporting izd 30 nozzles! Very cool!

Edit: err... I think I am still correct, but I could be wrong as well, not sure.

thanks for this picture

nose to nose comparison
View attachment 667638

View attachment 667639

View attachment 667640
Great work! And though the checkmate is indeed large I think you sized it a bit bigger than it actually is. Note the engine nozzle size differences. They should be identical. Note the su-57 prototype/model is sporting izd 30 nozzles! Very cool!

Edit: err... I think I am still correct, but I could be wrong as well, not sure.

Thanks!
I just twice copy and pasted Sensei Flank's picture into powerpoint
the first is just the su-57 cropped.. then i pasted the same picture (no resize) again and just cropped the Su-75, then rotated it to get it facing the same way.
i used the transparency feature in powerpoint for the overlay

(correct me if im wrong) but the Su-57 has more wing area, more lift and has a better wing-load capacity correct? the Su-75 just has the ability to carry more weapons, a better radar and a single engine. (with the loss of wing area thus increasing the distance/airspeed needed for takeoff/manuevers) however what really changes everything is mostly the targeting designation/priority system
Quite the opposite actually, except for the single engine... the Su-75 has the same wings of the Su-57 with almost half of the weight and one instead of two main weapon bays. Hence, the wing area of the LTS should be huge for its weight and accordingly the wing loading very, very small, close to that of the Eurocanards or even better. The Su-57 is the big, expensive, high end air superiority fighter, while the LTS is the cheap, simple, single engine tactical aircraft

^ beautiful shot.
I also wonder.. what if the Su-75 came out first.. and we first see the Su-75s image in 2010.. would we react differently?

the Su-75 just has the ability to carry more weapons, a better radar and a single engine. (
didnt see this post of yours so maybe this article will help you understand that their is a modernization of the Su-57 and the only thing modern or new the Su-75 is getting from the Su-57 are the engines but the newer weapons and avionics are a big unknown, but I am not saying it wont happen since I think the aircraft is to enter production in 2026 supposedly. https://iz.ru/1028035/anton-lavrov-...khim-istrebitel-su-57-ozhidaet-modernizatciia

What's interesting is that the PAK FA was originally meant to be a more affordable next-generation fighter program than the MFI, which was absolutely massive in size and required two 18-tonne AL-41Fs. Once it was clear that it would be extremely expensive, rather than continuing with the MFI and LFI combination, the Russian Defense Ministry established that the PAK FA should be an intermediate size multirole fighter that would replace both the MiG-29 (LPFI) and Su-27 (TPFI). In fact, in the 2000s, an oft-repeated statement was that the T-50 would be between the MiG-29 and Su-27 in size, with a normal takeoff weight (presumably internal payload and 50-60% fuel as with the Su-27) of 22-23 tonnes (which has now crept up to 25 tonnes for the production Su-57).

Given the history of the PAK FA, it's a bit ironic now because the Sukhoi LTS appears to be about the same size as the Mikoyan E-721 that was rejected in favor of the larger Sukhoi T-50. The E-721 was supposed to have been 16-17 tonnes normal takeoff weight with two 10-11-tonne class Klimov VK-10M engines, though with what happened to the T-50, the E-721 would probably also have suffered from weight creep.

Of course, we still don't know if the Russian Aerospace Forces are actually interested in the LTS, or if it's simply a proposal by Sukhoi hoping to attract their attention. It was a similar approach with the Su-35S (i.e. the T-10BM was a Sukhoi-initiated effort, rather than the Russian Defense Ministry), but that aircraft was eventually adopted. They did reject the similarly-sized E-721, though to be fair, it does appear that politics has as much to do with Mikoyan's rejection as much as the proposal itself; after all, Sukhoi captured the lion's share of exports during the 1990s while Mikoyan largely withered and put resources into the ultimately futile MFI.

Last edited:
- plus another EO station next to the front landing gear, ie a total of at least 6 distributed EO DAS sensors like AN/AAQ-37
- plus IRST station (OLS-50M derived?)
- plus KOEPS-75

Hmmmmmm...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211112_115530.jpg
    Screenshot_20211112_115530.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 153
Am I blind or the nozzle and glazing of the cabin 75 is more than 57?
Well, that is, the dimensions 75 in the photo above are artificially inflated.

I should be making my own 3D model of LTS soon.
i dunno if you take requests but if you do..
please put it in a whatif paint scheme.. say of potential/likely customers like Vietnam, UAE or something

everyone is doing the actual scheme, which is giving us more or less the same things

MOSCOW, November 12. /TASS/. Russia’s latest Checkmate fighter has comparable operational characteristics with the US F-35 aircraft but will be more cost efficient than the American fifth-generation combat plane, Head of the state tech corporation Rostec Sergey Chemezov told TASS in the run-up to the Dubai Airshow 2021 on Friday.
"Among single-engine fifth-generation and previous-generation aircraft, only the F-35 can boast comparable characteristics as the Checkmate’s main rival. However, our plane is more cost efficient compared to it," the Rostec chief said.
The Checkmate fighter will be attractive for foreign customers, in particular, for Middle East countries, Chemezov said.

Checkmate fighter

Russia’s state tech corporation Rostec unveiled the latest domestic single-engine fighter dubbed Checkmate at the MAKS-2021 international air show that ran in the suburban town of Zhukovsky outside Moscow on July 20-25. The new plane created by Rostec at its own initiative, is a derivative of the Su-57 fifth-generation fighter.

The new single-engine fighter is based on stealth technology and is outfitted with an inboard compartment for airborne air-to-air and air-to-surface armaments. The fighter will carry a payload of over 7 tonnes and will be capable of striking up to six targets at a time.
The Checkmate fighter will be capable of flying at Mach 1.8 (1.8 times the speed of sound) and will have an operating range of 3,000 km. The aircraft will be outfitted with a highly efficient powerplant. The new fighter is expected to take to the skies in 2023 and Rostec plans to launch the combat plane’s serial production starting in 2026.
Russia’s latest, cutting-edge fighter is expected to compete with America’s F-35A Lightning II and Sweden’s JAS-39 Gripen. The Checkmate incorporates the latest systems, including its open architecture configuration to meet the customer’s requirements and unique artificial intelligence technologies.
The Dubai Airshow 2021 will run in the United Arab Emirates on November 14-18.

let me know if there is an english version of that because google page translate sucks

You are not the only one to have had problems with Google translate tequilashooter I have had many funny translation attempts from Russian to English in the past, I hope that Google gets this issue sorted out soon. Anyway with the Dubai Airshow upon us soon it will be interesting to see if the UAE buys any Su-75's.

Journos have really tried to do their best, but f***ed it up being few meters from the finish line, by describing F-35 combat radius as its flight range.

I guess we can multiply the range of the aircraft by 2 to beat the others, wonder if this is the 1st stage range of the LTS.

Quite the opposite actually, except for the single engine... the Su-75 has the same wings of the Su-57 with almost half of the weight and one instead of two main weapon bays. Hence, the wing area of the LTS should be huge for its weight and accordingly the wing loading very, very small, close to that of the Eurocanards or even better. The Su-57 is the big, expensive, high end air superiority fighter, while the LTS is the cheap, simple, single engine tactical aircraft
didnt think about weight. looks like one thicc boi next to the Su-57 but its less structural hardware than it looks like. and btw is the frame bonded aluminum? or some other material?

Randomly found on Fb, I've tried to reverse search the picture expecting to find the original source and better resolution, without success.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1636728802948.jpg
    FB_IMG_1636728802948.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 157
Wing bearing area:
Su-57 - 82 m2
LTS - 60 m2
great job! didnt think of using scale drawings and getting the area that way.... i knew the Su-57 had more surface area. and also aileron/tail area as well. but because of the weight difference. im not sure which one would perform better. i honestly think they are almost equal except because of one engine and less weight that the Su-75 would perform slightly better

didnt think about weight. looks like one thicc boi next to the Su-57 but its less structural hardware than it looks like. and btw is the frame bonded aluminum? or some other material?
It has half the thrust, it cannot weight much more than half of what the Su-57 does. The cross sectional area should be around 6-6.5 sqm vs 10 sqm of the Su-57, so it is not a thick box, that is exactly where the Sukhoi team corrected the shortcomings of the F-35 layout, by placing the main weapon bay in line with the engine and not in parallel. It has a streamlined and relatively long fuselage with little drag and good fineness ratio, so both excess power and supersonic performance should be quite good, even with relatively "unremarkable" engines like the AL-41F1 or F1S. With izd. 30 and its 3 stream derivative, new possibilities will open up.

Re. performance vs Su-57, the later has huge lifting body and takes off without even deploying flaps, plus it is expected to have a higher service ceiling than LTS, so it is indeed not lacking lift. I guess it is not easy to know which one has lower wing loading, but the huge wing of the LTS for its size in any case indicates a plane that should have excellent STOL behaviour (confirmed by designer) and sustained turning rates on par with the best.

@paralay
Did you manage to refine your estimations of cross sectional area for Su-57 and Su-75?

What's interesting is that the PAK FA was originally meant to be a more affordable next-generation fighter program than the MFI, which was absolutely massive in size and required two 18-tonne AL-41Fs. Once it was clear that it would be extremely expensive, rather than continuing with the MFI and LFI combination, the Russian Defense Ministry established that the PAK FA should be an intermediate size multirole fighter that would replace both the MiG-29 (LPFI) and Su-27 (TPFI). In fact, in the 2000s, an oft-repeated statement was that the T-50 would be between the MiG-29 and Su-27 in size, with a normal takeoff weight (presumably internal payload and 50-60% fuel as with the Su-27) of 22-23 tonnes (which has now crept up to 25 tonnes for the production Su-57).
The Su-57 has the same engine class and I don't see a reason why it should not be classified in the same size class of the Flanker, but modern technology has allowed Russia to reduce systems size and make a much more compact airframe.

Given the history of the PAK FA, it's a bit ironic now because the Sukhoi LTS appears to be about the same size as the Mikoyan E-721 that was rejected in favor of the larger Sukhoi T-50. The E-721 was supposed to have been 16-17 tonnes normal takeoff weight with two 10-11-tonne class Klimov engines, though with what happened to the T-50, the E-721 would probably also have suffered from weight creep.
A twin engine fighter with those characteristics would be a medium fighter. LTS is named light by its creators even when it is bigger than a 4G light fighter. I don't think a multirole fighter (that is, with internal bays for A2G ordnance) can be designed with a smaller airframe than LTS. It has the same engine of the Su-57, so despite its apparent big size it represents today's best embodiment of the hi-lo paradigm

Of course, we still don't know if the Russian Aerospace Forces are actually interested in the LTS, or if it's simply a proposal by Sukhoi hoping to attract their attention. It was a similar approach with the Su-35S (i.e. the T-10BM was a Sukhoi-initiated effort, rather than the Russian Defense Ministry), but that aircraft was eventually adopted. They did reject the similarly-sized E-721, though to be fair, it does appear that politics has as much to do with Mikoyan's rejection as much as the proposal itself; after all, Sukhoi captured the lion's share of exports during the 1990s while Mikoyan largely withered and put resources into the ultimately futile MFI.
We do know that Putin endorsed it, and you can bet your money that this is not a crazy adventure by Sukhoi/UAC/Rostec, but a carefully planed initiative. MoD simply does not want to paint themselves into a corner by promising anything before the product is mature enough, but Industry Ministry money will flow in the meantime and Rostec is at the end of the day a state controlled company. Nothing this big happens in Russia without the blessing of the government and covert alignment with MoD.

MiG on the other hand have themselves to blame for their current situation, at every step of the game they were outsmarted and outperformed by Sukhoi. LTS (LMFS) should be their plane, but they went again for a twin engine solution, insisting in the same concept errors of the MiG-29, and they opened a gap for Sukhoi to exploit through a smart concept and layout.

It has half the thrust, it cannot weight much more than half of what the Su-57 does. The cross sectional area should be around 6-6.5 sqm vs 10 sqm of the Su-57, so it is not a thick box, that is exactly where the Sukhoi team corrected the shortcomings of the F-35 layout, by placing the main weapon bay in line with the engine and not in parallel. It has a streamlined and relatively long fuselage with little drag and good fineness ratio, so both excess power and supersonic performance should be quite good, even with relatively "unremarkable" engines like the AL-41F1 or F1S. With izd. 30 and its 3 stream derivative, new possibilities will open up.
Given that the duct diameter isn't much smaller than the engine diameter, and the inlets run over the weapon bays, I wouldn't consider the weapon bay placement to be the predominant factor. The F-35's lower fineness ratio has more to do with the fuselage length, which was limited by the deck lifts of LHAs, combined with extremely high fuel fraction and weapon bays sized for 2,000 lb ordnance. The LTS isn't constrained in this regard, which can allow for a more slender design, although it's also sized for an AL-41F1-sized engine which is considerably smaller than the F135, which actually doesn't make full use of the F-35's inlet flow (flow was increased in 2005 during SDD, and the GE/RR F136 would have made full use of it).

The Su-57 has the same engine class and I don't see a reason why it should not be classified in the same size class of the Flanker, but modern technology has allowed Russia to reduce systems size and make a much more compact airframe.
A twin engine fighter with those characteristics would be a medium fighter. LTS is named light by its creators even when it is bigger than a 4G light fighter. I don't think a multirole fighter (that is, with internal bays for A2G ordnance) can be designed with a smaller airframe than LTS. It has the same engine of the Su-57, so despite its apparent big size it represents today's best embodiment of the hi-lo paradigm
The Su-57 is intermediate size compared to what the original heavyweight fifth generation fighter, the MFI, was supposed to be. It's a similar situation where the F-35 is considered to be the "light" fighter compared to the F-22, yet the F-35A's empty weight is similar to the F-15C's.

We do know that Putin endorsed it, and you can bet your money that this is not a crazy adventure by Sukhoi/UAC/Rostec, but a carefully planed initiative. MoD simply does not want to paint themselves into a corner by promising anything before the product is mature enough, but Industry Ministry money will flow in the meantime and Rostec is at the end of the day a state controlled company. Nothing this big happens in Russia without the blessing of the government and covert alignment with MoD.
The Su-35 was originally a Sukhoi-initiated effort meant for export, but after struggling to find export customers, the Russian Defense Ministry decided to procure it. I'm not calling it a "crazy adventure", but simply that the impetus didn't come from the Defense Ministry, similar to the case with the Su-35. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing.

Last edited:
Given that the duct diameter isn't much smaller than the engine diameter, and the inlets run over the weapon bays, I wouldn't consider the weapon bay placement to be the factor. The F-35's lower fineness ratio has more to do with the fuselage length, which was limited by the deck lifts of LHAs, combined with the very high fuel fraction and weapon bays sized for 2,000 lb ordnance. The LTS isn't constrained in this regard, which can allow for a more slender design, although it's also sized for an AL-41F1-sized engine which is considerably smaller than the F135, which actually doesn't make full use of the F-35's inlet flow (inlet flow was increased in 2005 during SDD, and the F136 would have made full use of it).
The duct is a flexible shape, while the engine is not. It is smaller in diameter, and has no ancillaries or need to provide access for maintenance and exchange as the engine does. I did the effort of checking layouts in 3D and came to a design basically identical to the LTS, there is no way of achieving such slender fuselage and reduced cross section with weapon bays parallel to the engine, it simply does not work, by a wide margin. Much less if the engine is as big as the F135.

I understand the LHA constraint, but if you notice the position of the engine, it is like two-three meters to the front compared to how it could be without surpassing the current length of the plane, and very much unlike in planes like LTS, JAS-39 or F-16 which are designed for outstanding aerodynamics. So I conclude that the main factor was the STOVL requirement, in the sense of getting the main engine's thrust as close as possible to the CoG. This, together with the need of the lifting fan behind the cockpit, forced the bays to the sides of the engine and ultimately placed a cap on the dynamic capabilities of the plane. IMHO

The Su-57 is intermediate size compared to what the original heavyweight fifth generation fighter, the MFI, was supposed to be.
And yet the capacities are not worse, well, maybe the top speed, but not payload or range, as far as I know. The progress in systems technology allowed them to do pretty much the same with a smaller airframe. By the beginning of XXI century, the MFI concept had already been surpassed in so many ways it needed replacement.

It's a similar situation where the F-35 is considered to be the "light" fighter compared to the F-22, yet the F-35A's empty weight is similar to the F-15C's.
Yes, the weight and size creep from 4th to 5th gen makes it necessary to re-evaluate what a light fighter is. I would say the challenge after the F-35 was to proof that a "light" fighter could be designed around the same engine of the "heavy" brother. And that is a tough challenge, once we see that the LTS with current engines can only afford an 8g airframe with no internal cannon to keep its TWR up there with the best. Most other manufacturers had to settle for a twin engine 5G fighter, only Lockheed could afford a single engine design thanks to a monster engine like the F135, and still they could not keep it the size of the F119.

The Su-35 was originally a Sukhoi-initiated effort meant for export, but after struggling to find export customers, the Russian Defense Ministry decided to procure it. I'm not calling it a "crazy adventure", but simply that the impetus didn't come from the Defense Ministry, similar to the case with the Su-35. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing.
Yeah, MoD allow themselves to be convinced by the industry quite often. In the case of the Su-35, the reason was also the need to bridge the 4th - 5th gen gap. This was also needed for the VKS, hence why I doubt also in this case, that there was not a basic common understanding between MoD and MIC about the expediency of making the effort of designing and fielding an almost new plane. For VKS it had the additional advantage of providing a very much needed B plan in case the PAK-FA program suffered delays and setbacks, as any complex program normally does. Come 2018, Borisov could afford to bluff that they had no problem buying further the Su-35 and shortly thereafter we had the news of a 76 units deal for the Su-57 with 20% price reduction from the original quotes. This leverage would not have been there without the Su-35...

Last edited: