So the plane is NOT a mock up. The guy saying that THIS plane will fly, after ground testing is done.
But western sources told me it was made from plywood:mad:
Thats why it is so cheap? He-162 phlilosophy???

No in all seriousness, what are they gonna "cut" to make it cheaper and keep it in the 30M/40M range??, im really curious about that..

The new Checkmate light fighter, which was presented to Russian President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday, will cost $ 25-30 million, said Rostec head Sergei Chemezov.
"25-30 is the price, yes," Chemezov told reporters.
He stated that the plane will receive a first stage engine from the Su-57.
“That is why we managed to develop a new aircraft so quickly,” Chemezov said.

Only disappointment is no 2nd stage engine, definitely for export.

Hoping for some decent drawings with reasonably accurate dimensions soon. I am curious as to just how much of it is lifted from the Su-57.

I'll rewatch it soon, when there's a lag-free version up. Anyway, so they said that the central bay took three AAMs? And it's identical to the Su-57's?

Say what? That has major possible implications, you know.

Let's hope their secret customer is not Iran...
look on the bright side of this, if there was any possibility that if there was any planned halts on the F-35 production line it will definitely be going full speed ahead. This aircraft might be a reasonable excuse.

Were exact dimensions ever mentioned during the presentation?

And was there a further confirmation there is a secret investor during the presentation?

I hope they release the CGI marketing videos soon.

So the plane is NOT a mock up. The guy saying that THIS plane will fly, after ground testing is done.
But western sources told me it was made from plywood:mad:
Thats why it is so cheap? He-162 phlilosophy???

No in all seriousness, what are they gonna "cut" to make it cheaper and keep it in the 30M/40M range??, im really curious about that..

Maybe it's a starting price for the "basic configuration" model and for example, the "EOTS" looking thing on the belly with the laser designator could be an optional extra. The price could range from 29m to 40m+ for all we know.

BTW, looks like the engine is a derivative of 117, not 30...while they're interchangeable. =/

Anyway, so they said that the central bay took three AAMs? And it's identical to the Su-57's?

That is presumable where the three non-cheek mounted AAMs would go... as for it being identical to the Su-57... did they say that, or is it speculation (my inference was the latter)? *edit* I watched the video and the claims about internal bombload and other images does make me think that it is indeed the same bay... which means we should revise the Su-57 to possibly carrying 6xRVV-SD and possibly not entirely dismiss the possibility of eventual R-37/RVV-BD class missile integration in this airframe).

Does anyone have a good analysis of the central weapon's bay (with the doors open)? I'm not sure what I'm seeing.

Last edited:
So flexible configuration refers to the avionics suite? Designed to be flexible enough to allow purchase of different versions of avionics or integrate domestic (or other) systems into the baseline airframe?

So, the english language presentation said: Airccraft is ready for flight testing.
But before we had that claim from an interview with a Rostec official where it was said they hope first flight could be made within 2 years.

So what gives? Either it's ready now or within 2 years.

So, the english language presentation said: Airccraft is ready for flight testing.
But before we had that claim from an interview with a Rostec official where it was said they hope first flight could be made within 2 years.

So what gives? Either it's ready now or within 2 years.

Maybe they mean the design is fully approved and can move on to flight testing immediately? Detailed drawings are done and tooling is underway, movement to flying prototype approved?

Also - the mention of engaging ground targets with the internal cannon - this is paired with an image pointing to the cheek bay, and also what appears to be an animation of a conventional strafing run. However, the GSh-30-1 with its short barrel life and small ammunition load would seem unsuitable. Any thoughts?

When they mentioned engaging ground targets with guns mounted in the weapon bays my other thought as the SPPU class of weapons - which could be modified to only fire downward at an angle from the main bays. There is nothing to suggest this (other than mentioning weapon bay mounted guns engaging low value ground targets) but it would make sense for having a large ammunition capacity and keeping the aircraft out of range of light anti-aircraft guns.

We are going to buy this jet. It's destined for us.
Hi, Gablu. Where are you from?
India.

We have the most comprehensive experience of manufacturing, operating , sustaining and fighting with Russian origin aircrafts besides Russia itself .

It's only a matter of time before this LFS adorns the roundel of the IAF .

Fighter Checkmate will be able to carry a group of drones on board

The new fifth generation Checkmate fighter was designed in record time, just over a year - UAC

Checkmate aircraft prototype exhibited at MAKS will take off in 2023 - UAC

Range said 1500km? Dont think that was max range right?

So, LTS has a full-scale PAK FA main bay. And PAK FA can carry up to six R-77 derivatives internally. Not bad, not bad, to say the least.
Currently Su-57 can carry only four izd. 180. But stated 5 missiles allow us to speculate that Su-57 like F-22 will be able to carry 6 of them later.

You guys know the weapon bay size between the sukhoi LTS or su-57 or are these further guesses like the one where a few users here said the R-77 wont fit inside it.

On the outside it's not terribly impressive or inspiring (compared to the F-35) but I see real legit potential in the platform.

In a sense it's the JSF done right and the kind of 5th gen platform that's been needed for countries to get beyond 4.5+ without breaking the bank. Question is whether or not Russia's low RCS capabilities are truly up to snuff like has been questioned with the Su-57.

Also - the mention of engaging ground targets with the internal cannon - this is paired with an image pointing to the cheek bay, and also what appears to be an animation of a conventional strafing run. However, the GSh-30-1 with its short barrel life and small ammunition load would seem unsuitable. Any thoughts?

Strafing with a 5th generation fighter - even a light, low-cost one - is going to be a rare occurrence. I doubt it will happen enough to prematurely wear out even a GSh-30-1 when there are probably no more than 150 rounds carried. In other respects, the GSh-30-1 is actually a very good gun for ground attack (heavy, hard hitting round). Sometimes I wonder whether its barrel life is really that bad, measured per damage inflicted, rather than rounds fired.

It may be disputed and my Western compatriots may not take my seriously but it was a MiG-21 Bison that had shot down a F-16 MLU from No 9 squadron of PAF.

Similarly, it was a pair of two Su-30MKI from 15 Flying Lances that thwarted and held its ground against a fleet of 8 F-16B /MLU of PAF in Feb of 2019 while dodging atleast 4 AIM-120C fired by them.

We know our acs well. Russian origin acs had served us well through the decades. Be it 1971 or 99 and the recent air skirmish. And the LTS is just the aircraft for us.

You guys know the weapon bay size between the sukhoi LTS or su-57 or are these further guesses like the one where a few users here said the R-77 wont fit inside it.
Original R-77 and R-77-1?
Yes, it doesn't fit, because grid fins are not collapsable. However izd 180 (BTW we can see finally it in all its glory here, (c) Michael Jerdev) does fit in the bay.