Sukhoi Su-57 / T-50 / PAK FA first flight - pictures, videos and analysis [2010]

Status
Not open for further replies.
sferrin said:
The F-22 has two pitots and no AOA sensor. The F-35 has no pitots (apparently) but has AOA sensors. What's up? ???

I thought the flush air data systems determined AOA, sideslip, and airspeed by the differential air pressure readings around the nose of the aircraft? When you refer to AOA sensors on the F-35, are you talking about the typical "weather vane" standard instrument typically used?

I'm wondering if the F-22 needs the pitots, due to the flush air data system not being sensitive enough at high mach numbers? Maybe they get erroneous readings due to heating while supercruising? These are just strictly guesses on my part.

What you've written is a riddle inside an enigma wrapped inside of...well, you get the point. It would be interesting to know why the differences, though.

Sundog said:
When you refer to AOA sensors on the F-35, are you talking about the typical "weather vane" standard instrument typically used?

Yes, the one with a serrated trailing edge for RCS reduction.

Hello sundog if the Americans don't have worries or bad nightmares,than they're fools and have nothing learned from Pearl harbour! they thought then the zero is a copycat from a inferior western design.The truth was very different.Many western guys thought the T-50 will be a copycat of the F-22,now they can see this myth is also busted!
This is a very very dangerous opponent to Raptor,not an MIG-29,35 or Typhoon,or Su-27,pimped version Su-35BM that is easely to counter
This aircraft will be at the most as good as the F-22! So i say if they re smart they will develop a healthy respect for this plane!

Spring said:
The F22 is full of rivets,as the F23 was, as the F117 was, as the F35 is.
This is annoying, because this 'rivetless' trash comes from all these dumb popular books , and only when is about to troll the russians the facts emerge..

Ahh , this should be award-winning statement of this weekend. I recommend that moderators of this forum design a banner which shows up anytime persons start talking visibility of rivets,screws or fasteners on aircraft panels no matter whether they know or don`t a difference among them. I hope there`s nothing offending in it.

I like this F-22 picture, one more comment. Someone explain Russian Airforce top brass that when they put stealth coatings on that PAK-FA thing, they should outfit PAK-FA ground personal with special leather slippers, otherwise walking with regular military boots on the PAK-FA spine will destroys their multi-million ruble effort for a stealth plane. Hopefully, Russian Airforce find enough budget funding for those special slippers to keep this stealth program alive ;D ;D ;D
Samolet Suchoj = Technik mokroj in english a maintenance nightmare aircraft. I feel sorry for ground personal already.

Attachments

• kagouras2a.jpg
    kagouras2a.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 87
Woody said:
At last...

Looks like what the Flanker was to the F-15 only this time to the F-22. What it lacks in stealth it may well make up for in radar detection range and could possibly get the 'first look' against an F-22.

But seriously the stealth only has to be good enough to defeat the active seeker of an AMRAAM to bring it to the close-in dog fight, in which case Flanker/Fulcrum wing profiles, 3D TVC and AA-11s would win the day.
If u think in a air to air engagement, u only have the other fighter of the opponent and his AMRAAM to worry about, then u are truly naive. As for possibly having the "first look" by making up for lack in stealth with superior detection range: extremely unlikely, as a bit stealthier mean much more detection range the other aircraft has to have. It works by magnitude with the odds on the radar.

T-50 said:
Hello sundog if the Americans don't have worries or bad nightmares,than they're fools and have nothing learned from Pearl harbour! they thought then the zero is a copycat from a inferior western design.The truth was very different.Many western guys thought the T-50 will be a copycat of the F-22,now they can see this myth is also busted!
This is a very very dangerous opponent to Raptor,not an MIG-29,35 or Typhoon,or Su-27,pimped version Su-35BM that is easely to counter
This aircraft will be at the most as good as the F-22! So i say if they re smart they will develop a healthy respect for this plane!
::)
I realize that it's not everyday that you get to see the newest fifth-generation Russian fighter, and can understand the excitement, but unsubstantiated statements and comparisons like that are a little bit premature. Nobody questions Sukhoi's ability to produce outstanding (and good-looking) designs, but if you want to make such absolute statements , it'd be nice to also see some technical backing.

Also I doubt we will ever see PAK-FA ground personal be happy as on this picture..... ;D ;D ;D

Attachments

• resized_CIMG1049.jpg
    resized_CIMG1049.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 155
T-50 said:
The truth was very different.Many western guys thought the T-50 will be a copycat of the F-22,now they can see this myth is also busted!
Those who said that t-50 is copycat of f-22 are the fanbois clubs that don't belong to this forum. By the tone of it, you are pretty close in those clubs.

donnage99 said:
Woody said:
(...)
What it lacks in stealth it may well make up for in radar detection range and could possibly get the 'first look' against an F-22.
(...)
(...)
As for possibly having the "first look" by making up for lack in stealth with superior detection range: extremely unlikely, as a bit stealthier mean much more detection range the other aircraft has to have. It works by magnitude with the odds on the radar.

No. Woody's statement makes more sense than yours: in the radar power budget, antenna gain is squared while RCS isn't. However, it's doubtful that T-50 radar technology will equal its US counterpart. Possible transmitted power and antenna gain advantages on the T-50 side might well be cancelled by inferior hardware and signal processing. Truth is probably somewhere between your two statements.

My latest estimate of sizes:

Length 19.20m (without pitot)
Span 13-14.2m (still quite unsure about the angle of the underside shot)
Height: 4.9m

bipa said:
No. Woody's statement makes more sense than yours: in the radar power budget, antenna gain is squared while RCS isn't. However, it's doubtful that T-50 radar technology will equal its US counterpart. Possible transmitted power and antenna gain advantages on the T-50 side might well be cancelled by inferior hardware and signal processing. Truth is probably somewhere between your two statements.
I guess I got the formula backward

Woody said:
Avimimus said:
given the clear optimisation of the T-50 for internal volume and payload over speed.

??? Please explain.

Ah... well there was an article in one of the last threads (III or maybe II) which mentioned a decision to reduce the original speed requirements in order to meet payload (range/multi-role) requirements. Wasn't the design originally supposed to top M2.6?

I actually think it should be apparent just from the designs appearance: I'm no expert in aerodynamics, but the blended fuselage is a good compromise between lift, volume and surface area, the design is clearly aiming for a relatively lower wing loading to volume ratio and the overall layout with the small tail fins and integrated horizontal stabilisers can't harm cruise efficiency. It just also looks like a very good design if all you want is lift, high internal volume and a low frontal cross-section.

Avimimus said:
Ah... well there was an article in one of the last threads (III or maybe II) which mentioned a decision to reduce the original speed requirements in order to meet payload (range/multi-role) requirements. Wasn't the design originally supposed to top M2.6?

How much less than Mach 2.6? Still going to be faster than the F-22 and definitely the F-35 I'd recon.

I actually think it should be apparent just from the designs appearance: I'm no expert in aerodynamics, but the blended fuselage is a good compromise between lift, volume and surface area...

The SR-71 had a blended Fuselage ;D

Cheers, Woody

flateric said:
Abraham Gubler said:
I though Flateric quoted the range?
me?? it has been said here on TV '5,500 with with refueling'

Sorry if I got you wrong but take pleasure at the association of ‘Flateric says’ with authority.

If the range is 5,500km with "a refuelling" then that would imply something like a maximum range of 2,000 NM without refuelling (a single IFR being rarely more than 50% of the fuel tankage). If like the F-22 the fuel consumption difference between supercruise flight and most efficient cruise/altitude is a factor of 3-1 then the T-50 would have an all supercruise radius around 350 NM (total flight time 45 minutes at Mach 1.6). This is an effective tactical mission range for an offensive mission. For a defensive mission this range would allow a cruise speed loiter CAP of four hours with a 15 minute supercruise interception and combat flight.

The reliance on speed appears to be part of the Russian strategy of compensation for both a lack of LO and sensor reach and integration (in their overall force not just fighters). Combined with the short range against LO aircraft side looking sensors (wing leading edge L Band and gimballed ESAs) this would give them some survivability against ambush by F-35s. Cruising through the battlespace at Mach 1.6ish and with the ability to see an F-35 on its beam a few tens of miles away (at most) would give them a chance to turn away and use their speed to hopefully escape missile interception. Of course if they then turn into the direction of another F-35 well…

Not the best strategy but better than certain death.

http://www.domain-b.com/aero/mil_avi/mil_aircraft/20100130_raptorski_4.html

According to Sukhoi, the FGFA will have a radar cross section (RCS) that will be 40 times less than that of the Su-30MKI. While the Su-30MKI has an RCS of about 20 square metres, the FGFA will display an RCS of 0.5 square metres, making it almost invisible to enemy radar.
I have doubt in the worthiness of the article, but if it's true. RCS of 0.5m2 is way WAY too large in comparison to f-22 or f-35, which have the figure of about .0001m2 and .001m2 respectively. Can anyone validate this claim?

donnage99 said:
http://www.domain-b.com/aero/mil_avi/mil_aircraft/20100130_raptorski_4.html

According to Sukhoi, the FGFA will have a radar cross section (RCS) that will be 40 times less than that of the Su-30MKI. While the Su-30MKI has an RCS of about 20 square metres, the FGFA will display an RCS of 0.5 square metres, making it almost invisible to enemy radar.
I have doubt in the worthiness of the article, but if it's true. RCS of 0.5m2 is way WAY too large in comparison to f-22 or f-35, which have the figure of about .0001m2 and .001m2 respectively. Can anyone validate this claim?

Do not believe what domain-b has to say , they are quite unreliable .Since they had to write something they wrote it and now you will find many sites claiming the same.

Sukhoi achieved a figure of 0.3m2 for Su-47/Berkut certainly they would better that figure for PAK-FA

donnage99 said:
RCS of 0.5m2 is way WAY too large in comparison to f-22 or f-35, which have the figure of about .0001m2 and .001m2 respectively.

It’s not “way too” large because there is nothing that says the T-50 has to have the same LO as the F-22 and F-35. This is the first Russian LO aircraft and despite having some of the appearance of a LO shape there is no evidence of any RAM technology, complete LO shaping across the aircraft and an actual precise LO shape. So if the RCS is 0.5m2 or -3 dbsm then that’s not such a bad achievement from a FLANKER sized aircraft with an RCS of 13 dbsm. It’s an order of magnitude reduction.

Austin said:
Sukhoi achieved a figure of 0.3m2 for Su-47/Berkut certainly they would better that figure for PAK-FA

An order of magnitude reduction for an aicraft with no visable LO features except a coat of paint in X Plane black? Yeah right...

Austin said:
Do not believe what domain-b has to say , they are quite unreliable .Since they had to write something they wrote it and now you will find many sites claiming the same.

Mistery solved. Mr. so-called "journalist" was surfing through f-16.net where quotes like these appeared in the PAK-FA thread which reflect faithfully in his article.
http://www.f-16.net/f-16_forum_viewtopic-t-13323-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-105.html

"The only thing close to "official" that I'm aware of so far on the PAK-FA's RCS is 0.5 sq m"

And the reason for his title came from the predictably biased f-16.net members:
"As for PAK-FA this is essentially a dead project. Two backward countries try to develop V generation fighter being 20-30 years behind the US. Official PAK-FA project cost is claimed to be 8-10 billion USD. Now after eight years we saw an empty mock-up flying with Flanker's interior because there is no equipment needed."[/quote]

Interesting! Never knew that. Can u provide the source for this?

Actually Donnage you haven't solved anything. Following your link the article in question says:

According to Sukhoi, the FGFA will have a radar cross section (RCS) that will be 40 times less than that of the Su-30MKI. While the Su-30MKI has an RCS of about 20 square metres, the FGFA will display an RCS of 0.5 square metres,

Now they clearly reference Sukhoi not some F-16 blogger. Now unless the article is a complete fabrication this has some credulence. But what is interesting is that the journalist could have misrepresented what Sukhoi said (if the story is not a fabrication) when they quote "40 times less". The Sukhoi people could have been referring to a 40 decibel reduction (as this is the preferred measurement used by professionals) which is a RCS in the ball park of an F-35. Or they could have provided the quotes square meters of RCS which the overly excited journalist proclaimed was a “40 times less” reduction not realising the physics of radar means that this is not very significant at all.

Just out of curiosity, what's the next operational number available to Sukhoi for the T-50? Is it the Su-41? The last Su designation I'm aware of is the Su-39 which was a development of the Frogfoot with the hunchback.

The actual source, as far as I can see it, was here:

http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/india-russia-close-to-pactnext-generation-fighter/381718/

Late last year, a defence ministry delegation to Sukhoi’s flagship aircraft facility in Siberia became the first Indians to set eyes upon the next-generation fighter that is slated to form the backbone of the future Indian Air Force (IAF). In that first meeting, carefully choreographed by Sukhoi, the new fighter, standing on the tarmac waved a welcome to the Indians, moving all its control fins simultaneously. The effect, recounts one member of that delegation, was electric. The senior IAF officer there walked silently up to the aircraft and touched it almost incredulously. This was the Sukhoi T-50, the first technology demonstrator of what India terms the Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA). Senior defence ministry sources tell Business Standard that — after five years of haggling over the FGFA’s form, capabilities and work-share — a detailed contract on joint development is just around the corner.

Sukhoi’s FGFA prototype, which is expected to make its first flight within weeks, is a true stealth aircraft, almost invisible to enemy radar. According to a defence ministry official, “It is an amazing looking aircraft. It has a Radar Cross Section (RCS) of just 0.5 square metre as compared to the Su-30MKI’s RCS of about 20 square metres.”

So the source is an unnamed Indian defence ministry guy.

Well the author Ajai Shukla of the RCS 0.5m2 news has a blog link

This is what he said when asked to clarify on RCS

There are no AUTHENTIC figures that I have come across for the RCS of the Rafale and the Eurofighter, only unattributed speculation. But I hear, from people who ought to know, that their RCS is not below 0.5.

This talk about metal golf balls and metal marbles does not impress me. It could be disinformation, sales talk, vendor propaganda, or a mixture of all of them. A platform's real RCS is seldom revealed.

The figure that I have is from an MoD source, who has, in turn, heard it from a Sukhoi designer at KnAAPO. I would not bet my life that the figure is entirely accurate.

Abraham Gubler said:
Austin said:

An order of magnitude reduction for an aicraft with no visable LO features except a coat of paint in X Plane black? Yeah right...

Combat Aircraft Vol 4 No 3 mentions Su-47 RCS at 0.3 m2

Yefim Gordon in his book [S-37 and Mikoyan MFI] states the smallest RCS attained till date for a manned aircraft was 0.3 m2

I would suggest you read up on Yefim Gordon book on S-37 and Mikoyan MFI , it mentions the RCS reduction features implemented on S-37

Austin said:
Yefim Gordon in his book [S-37 and Mikoyan MFI] states the smallest RCS attained till date for a manned aircraft was 0.3 m2
I have a set of lecture notes (from an avionics course) which state that the Typhoon has a cross section of 0.5m2, SR-71 0.015m2, F22 0.0065m2, F-117 0.003m2 and B1 0.0015m2. There is no source I am sorry.

hole in the ground said:
Austin said:
I have a set of lecture notes (from an avionics course) which state that the Typhoon has a cross section of 0.5m2, SR-71 0.015m2, F22 0.0065m2, F-117 0.003m2 and B1 0.0015m2. There is no source I am sorry.

I'd read the SR-71 and B-1 (I suspect your figure was for the B-2 if it's even accurate) are roughly the same at 1 m^2 or 0.1 m^2 I don't recall which at the moment.

Woody said:
Avimimus said:

How much less than Mach 2.6? Still going to be faster than the F-22 and definitely the F-35 I'd recon.

If you don't know how much less, how do you know it will be faster? (F-22 is Mach 2.4+)

Woody said:

So did the prop-powered XP-67. ;)

For any dilettantes interested in stealth requirements, I recommend this .pdf of a hypothetical stealth fighter designed by Cal Poly students.

http://aerosim.calpoly.edu/files/Vendetta/Vendetta%20-%20Final%20SAWE%20Paper.pdf

On pages 22-24, you'll find a discussion about stealth considerations. A few details to note:

-- The design requirements called for an RCS of 0.5 square meters, and this number can't be a coincidence. The reports implies that this is the industry standard for an aircraft to be considered "stealthy."

-- RCS is not a straightforward measurement, changing significantly depending on the angle and type of radar.

-- Shaping alone can achieve more signature reduction than a lot of people give it credit for, even before RAM is factored in.

-- There's also an interesting discussion about the various detection ranges of different radars and wavelengths. Too often, internet posters seem to think that stealth aircraft go completely undetected, but it's really about decreasing the TIME that an enemy has to repsond before the target aircraft has come and gone from the detectable range.

In short, I suspect the quoted RCS of 0.5 square meters simply refers to an industry standard, and by quoting that figure Sukhoi is simply declaring that this design truly qualifies as "stealthy."

Austin said:
not an authoritive source on RCS science - for me, at least

flateric said:
Austin said:
not an authoritive source on RCS science - for me, at least

Well stealth will most likely be a closely guarded secret and even on production aircraft it may vary during its course of operation and during its life time.

Now we do not know if 0.3 m2 is the figure for average stealth of the aircraft or best figures obtained by frontal RCS.

Abraham Gubler said:
Austin said:

How do you figure it has "no visable LO features except a coat of paint in X Plane black"? As opposed to, say, a Typhoon? I could agree that discussing hard numbers is pointless here - nobody knows them for either design.

Abraham Gubler said:
It’s not “way too” large because there is nothing that says the T-50 has to have the same LO as the F-22 and F-35.

Agreed, although I dare say the Russians would definitely like to match the F-35. The F-22 (soon out of production, anyway) is neither here nor there, but the former sets the benchmark on the export market which is where the true success or failure of the T-50 will be determined.

Abraham Gubler said:
This is the first Russian LO aircraft and despite having some of the appearance of a LO shape there is no evidence of any RAM technology, complete LO shaping across the aircraft and an actual precise LO shape.

There's no evidence of a radar or camouflage paint either ;) How much its shape (where some minor LO problems are in evidence) will change between now and service entry is an interesting question but purely speculative right now. It might be to the production version what F-35AA1 is to the definitive F-35A, or it might be more like the X-35. Time will tell.

Although its a awesome machine,I hope that they modify the canopy hatch.because the beam of metal in the centre of the canopy hatch prohibited the vision of the pilot.while the front screen is marvelous shaped out of one piece of Plexiglas.I hope that the canopy hatch will be also made from one piece of glass,and a little more sloping to the rear like the F-35.butt we will see its a prototype so they will certain put improvements,before the production machine will see the light.

Any info about a rumored second flight today ?? ???

Deino

said here that yes, tomorrow

Woody said:
Avimimus said:

I actually think it should be apparent just from the designs appearance: I'm no expert in aerodynamics, but the blended fuselage is a good compromise between lift, volume and surface area...

Cheers, Woody

True, how the fuselage is blended matters... :D
To be honest the design is far from a perfect lifting body - but the flattened fuselage combined with the enlarged LERX's/compound delta gives a strong impression that the wings proper aren't the only lifting surfaces...

As for the speed - it might be good to distinguish between the aircraft fully loaded and with a reduced load. I'm sure the power to weight ratio matters and a quick glance at the engines and dimensions suggests that this design will have a very good power to weight ratio. The nice thing about reasonably large internal dimensions and a low wing loading is that you can take advantage of the unloaded power-to-weight ratio in order to carry heavier payloads with reduced performance.

Abraham Gubler said:
The reliance on speed appears to be part of the Russian strategy of compensation for both a lack of LO and sensor reach and integration (in their overall force not just fighters). Combined with the short range against LO aircraft side looking sensors (wing leading edge L Band and gimballed ESAs) this would give them some survivability against ambush by F-35s. Cruising through the battlespace at Mach 1.6ish and with the ability to see an F-35 on its beam a few tens of miles away (at most) would give them a chance to turn away and use their speed to hopefully escape missile interception. Of course if they then turn into the direction of another F-35 well…

Not the best strategy but better than certain death.

It might be good to be careful about interpreting emphasis on speed. It should be remembered that the Mig-25 entered service before LO technologies reached a point where they became a core part of the design. This Russian push for Mach 2.8 fighters may also have been partially a response to their strengths at the time - the pioneered titanium industry. Of course, speed seems to be very important in reducing the effective range of enemy missiles (as it shrinks the effective no-escape zone) and thus potentially critical in BVR engagements. If you have an extended range infra-red guided derivative of the RVV-AE (as the Russians are developing), which is capable of very high manoeuvrability - it may be very difficult to escape from short range engagements. There is a lot of reason to think that speed may have limited utility if you can't get an adequate sensor lock for your weapons systems at more than a few tens of kilometres.

Soviet Avionics were definitely behind NATO during much of the cold war, however it is not a safe assumption to assume that this advantage will remain (if it exists today). A lot of technologies are now widely available (eg. in computing) and the NATO has tended to commit to its avionics systems a decade earlier than Russia (which couldn't due to the economic collapse and has since had a decade for industrial espionage and scientific development). The other basic fact is that we do not know much about stealth technologies. Perhaps RAM coatings are fairly easy to develop and it is impossible to gain any true 'lead' in this area. Perhaps radars with datalinks and better processing will be able to reconstruct the possible position of enemy aircraft. Maybe the use of multiple sensor types will limit the effectiveness of stealth designs. The fact is we don't know the first thing about stealth and even those with access to the best data and espionage will be scratching their heads over some points until actual combat experience comes about (which will hopefully never happen).

And the reason for his title came from the predictably biased f-16.net members:
"As for PAK-FA this is essentially a dead project. Two backward countries try to develop V generation fighter being 20-30 years behind the US. Official PAK-FA project cost is claimed to be 8-10 billion USD. Now after eight years we saw an empty mock-up flying with Flanker's interior because there is no equipment needed."

So very funny. :D I never saw either country as being particularly backward (although both have certain issues they need to work out). The same goes for us and the U.S.
The design has (or will have) a better power-to-weight ratio, a multi-role capability, potentially has greater range at lower speed (guessing), is clearly more nimble, has an extra fifteen years of R&D, most likely has U.S. RAM coatings smuggled out of Kosovo (plus indigenous RAM research), access to other espionage and leaked material from the last fifteen years, a new integrated 360 degree sensors system and it is still obviously "20-30 years" behind U.S. simply because it is Russian?

Doesn't this remind anyone else of the good old days?

paralay said:

As always, an outstanding 3-view - and perhaps the first such drawing to be made public. Paralay, you have a very good eye for this sort of drawing. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom