• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Sukhoi Shkval Tailsitter fighter

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Hi,

Sukhoi SH kval 1A tailsitter fighter project of 1963.

Attachments

hesham

Reaction score
Good find my dear Overscan.

Kadija_Man

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Several questions spring to mind. How did it land? Vertically or horizontally? How was it erected, if it landed horizontally?

flateric

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Vertically, both.

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
"How was it erected, if it landed horizontally?"

This was a problem, I think, that may have doomed the use of the tailsitter
concept. For this Sukhoi design, or for most other tailsitters like the Convair
XFY-1 Pogo, the Lockheed XFV-1 , or the SNECMA Coleopter, a "conventional"
landing would have meant, that there would have been no need for further thoughts
about erecting the aircraft to take-off attitude again .. :(
To bring home the aircraft with a faulty engine, developing much less thrust than normal,
would have been nearly impossible.

hesham

Reaction score
My dear Overscan;

the translation;
http://www.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vtol.boom.ru%2Frus%2Fshkval%2Findex.html&hl=ar&ie=UTF-8&sl=ru&tl=en

dreamstar

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
In doing a re-read of Soviet Secret Projects: Fighters since 1945, I read the segment on the Shkval tail-sitter and its origination came from a 'private organisation' within the Sukhoi OKB led by R G Martirosov to deal with "aircraft of an unorthodox and less conventional layout." I was wondering if there was any information on other creations from this Sukhoi 'Skunk Works?'

hesham

Reaction score
Hi Dreamstar,

please see;
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,5099.msg40496.html#msg40496

hesham

Reaction score
Great find Stargazer.

flateric

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
dreamstar said:
In doing a re-read of Soviet Secret Projects: Fighters since 1945, I read the segment on the Shkval tail-sitter and its origination came from a 'private organisation'
within the Sukhoi OKB led by R G Martirosov to deal with "aircraft of an unorthodox and less conventional layout."
I was wondering if there was any information on other creations from this Sukhoi 'Skunk Works?'
You got it rather wrong. It was an initiative group of designers, that gathered as volunteer group, working at projects at free hours after work or weekends (like it was with Ivashechkin's&Co. SPB - a far predecessor of Su-25 - later).
There was never a special, 'elite' ADP department at Sukhoi.

airrocket

Dreams To Reality
Reaction score
Website
RetroFlight.com
. I have seen drawings of what appears to be a MIG-25 or 31 without wings having four fins launching vertically. Any additional information of this MIG variant?

flateric

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
www.p-ln.ru/rus/shkval/index.html

Attachments

hesham

Reaction score
Nice PDF my dear Flateric.

chuck4

Reaction score
I am kinda curious about the X wings. It seems to me an X-winged aircraft should be able to aerodynamically sustain more or less the same G force in any direction, pitch, yaw, or any combination.

Has anyone ever done any studies to see how pilots can handle 9G yaw?

It seems to me it to be a great advantage in a close dog fight if the fighter can instantly pull high G in any direction, and not have to roll the aircraft first to achieve the correct bank.

Sundog

Reaction score
chuck4 said:
I am kinda curious about the X wings. It seems to me an X-winged aircraft should be able to aerodynamically sustain more or less the same G force in any direction, pitch, yaw, or any combination.

Has anyone ever done any studies to see how pilots can handle 9G yaw?

It seems to me it to be a great advantage in a close dog fight if the fighter can instantly pull high G in any direction, and not have to roll the aircraft first to achieve the correct bank.
It would unnecessarily add weight and the only time you want to yaw is for quick nose pointing for a snap shot. If you need a 9G yaw snapshot you've designed a horrendously poor aircraft. 9G yawing is what missiles are for, not aircraft. Also, if you want to be able to maneuver at high loads in any direction, that will be handled in the future by A2A UCAV's.

Trying to design a cockpit and a seat that could handle sustained 9G side loads on a pilot would be very limiting to the pilot. How do you move your arms on the flight controls if you are being pressed sideways by 9G's on one arm or the other? And if the side load was carried by the human body under his arms, I wouldn't be surprised if the pilot ended up with some fractured ribs, as the pilots body load is going to be distributed over much less area than a conventional seating configuration during normal orthogonal loading wrt to the velocity vector. It's simply a non-starter from the get go.

famvburg

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Stumbled upon this thread looking for info on the Shkval. Sharkit offers a kit he calls Shkval 2, based on the MiG-25. http://sharkit.com/sharkit/Shkval2/Shkval2.htm

Stargazer2006

Staff member
Reaction score
athpilot said:
Hm Shkval-2 ... seems to be a fake. :-\
My feeling exactly. I don't think it's good for the image of Sharkit to mix fake and real designs without a word of warning.

Vladimir

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Good video by David Myhra here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEHbWYNVxv8

hesham

Reaction score
From Air Pictorial 9/1957,

here is an Info about Russian vertical takeoff aircraft similar to X-13,had been tested and
that means it had tailsitter shape,so I excluded Rafaelyants Turbolyot,and for Sikhoi Shkval,
it was from 1963,what was it ?.

Attachments