Those that want to remain anonymous on where they live https://checkmate.uacrussia.ru/ for some they have different hours of countdown for different people because time zones might point to locations on certain regions. Just pointing that out for those that want to keep it to themselves and the clock doesn't really matter for the presentation because the focus is on Russia's time region anyways.

So... no elevators between the tail planes? Or... do those antenna housings have a bit of an ability to move up and down for trim? There are lines which are suggestive. Seems a bit unlikely though.

P.S. This is pretty sophisticated marketing... adding an extra few frames and re-releasing the video... I wonder if there will be a couple more extensions of it? It is also interesting how the video subtly indicates UAE as a partner in the project, and Argentina and Vietnam as having expressed interest.

So... no elevators between the tail planes? Or... do those antenna housings have a bit of an ability to move up and down for trim? There are lines which are suggestive. Seems a bit unlikely though.
I see the lines and articulation rather clearly and would assume the updated trailer settles that topic, I designed my model with the function in mind and the results is essentially identical... but it is clear everyone is entitled to their own opinion until we don't see it move

EDIT: I forgot to say, that the small notch in the lower side of the canted tails is most probably there to avoid contact with other control surfaces, in this case when the first are moving inwards and the elevators move upwards.

Last edited:
I think those tail controls may be trimmers, like on the Skyray. I guess we'll find out soon. It also appears to have the same windscreen and canopy as the Su-57. Some have suggested even the same cockpit, which would make sense.

Attachments

• Chechmate.jpg
    Chechmate.jpg
    509.6 KB · Views: 88
yeah those are some small 'elevators' there
What is your opinion about their main function? Trimming mainly, or also pitch authority for manoeuvring? Backup of the TVC? As far as I know, this is the first time since MFI that such elevators are installed on a recent fighter...

Hi guys, here's my reconstruction of it.
I believe it is likely there are small movable horizontal planes flanking the nozzle, possibly for thrust entrainment, and it is possible this aircraft may not have TVC nozzle.
I also believe the tips of the LERX chines have a blunt chisel planform much like the F-35's inlet-strake relationship. My inspection of the desktop model supports the inlet lip terminating at the root of the chine, not at the outboard edge. I believe that the recent sideview reveal was taken at a carefully chosen angle where the end of the chine happens to be aligned with the intake lip in order to obscure this issue.

lts01.png

Last edited:
'Guys, you really think we still have nothing to surprise you with ?'

Very teasing. What would be the reaction if there was a fly past from a real one ?
I would need a change of pants, the surprise and absurdity was be too much.

Russia ain't the USSR, if they managed a first flight (and presumably more than a few to risk an airshow appearance) without ANYONE sniffing it, or snapping a pic.....downright shock.

What's maybe more interesting is if they can act in roll and pitch!
I would assume yes, from the way modern control surfaces are scheduled it makes full sense to use every possible contribution for best effectiveness and redundancy, plus lowest drag , even when the force arm for roll is very short. We have seen for instance differential deflection of the LEVCONS in the Su-57 already, this should not be different.

BTW and just for info, it was "leaked" before that the plane has TVC and supermaneuverability. The 2D TVC nozzles from Saturn are quite difficult to differentiate from regular ones, for instance in AL-31 the version with TVC is simply 5 cm longer and 30 kg heavier, and then both izd. 117S and 117, and izd. 30 as well all have TVC, so I am assuming the nozzle is indeed TVC capable.

yeah those are some small 'elevators' there
What is your opinion about their main function? Trimming mainly, or also pitch authority for manoeuvring? Backup of the TVC? As far as I know, this is the first time since MFI that such elevators are installed on a recent fighter...

Hmm... maybe not small, maybe thick is the relevant word :)

I see the lines and articulation rather clearly and would assume the updated trailer settles that topic, I designed my model with the function in mind and the results is essentially identical... but it is clear everyone is entitled to their own opinion until we don't see it move

EDIT: I forgot to say, that the small notch in the lower side of the canted tails is most probably there to avoid contact with other control surfaces, in this case when the first are moving inwards and the elevators move upwards.

Makes sense. I saw the lines too, I just didn't want to jump to conclusions...

They are thick enough that it almost suggests 'polymorphic' rather than 'control surface' in my mind... but that is probably just an irrational reflex to a bit of novelty.

Screenshot_20210719_075817.jpg
'70s!...mumble ramble... WH SMITH'S! ...mumble ramble... GRAINY SATELLITE PHOTOS! ...mumble ramble... FLIGHT INTERNATIONAL! ...mumble ramble... RAM-L! Of course, I was very, very excited.'

These teaser videos aren't a patch on opening Flight in Smiths (John Menzies in my case) and seeing photos of Fulcrum and Flanker.

Chris

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210719_075817.jpg
    Screenshot_20210719_075817.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Pitch control only from TVC? Or are they leaving off a surprise Canard or Horizontal tail Until MAKS?

via Zephyr164 / Paralay-Forum

View attachment 660969

all 3 versions of Zephyrs Checkmate

E6lM2dzVIAEV9iw

E6X0cUcUYAA02cz

pretty unique looking, and nice, aircraft!

looks more a stealthy "Vought Corsair/Crusader" in the front, than a Fishbed

i gotta admit, in the early pics with the tarps over it, I thought it would have side intakes, especially in that one frontal pic
I thought people insisting it had a chin intake were crazy.. but glad It turned out to be true as I've always wanted to see a fifth gen aircraft with a chin intake rather than another "Lockmart" style design

I am going to say probably the most controversial thing I have ever said on this forum, this is the sexiest aircraft Sukhoi have ever designed.

The top of the intake looks a little odd, but I'm assuming that notch produces a useful vortex over the LERX for high-AoA flight?

I'm still doubtful about a ventral internal bay, at least one that isn't tiny. I'm presuming you'd get 4-6 hardpoints under that wing though.
I just hope this doesn't become another S-37 - looks good but ultimately gets nowhere.

I am going to say probably the most controversial thing I have ever said on this forum, this is the sexiest aircraft Sukhoi have ever designed.

The top of the intake looks a little odd, but I'm assuming that notch produces a useful vortex over the LERX for high-AoA flight?

I'm still doubtful about a ventral internal bay, at least one that isn't tiny. I'm presuming you'd get 4-6 hardpoints under that wing though.
I just hope this doesn't become another S-37 - looks good but ultimately gets nowhere.

yeah i think its one of Sukhoi's nicer aircraft and perhaps the 5th gen with the most pointiest nose!
it would be more perfect and "balanced" looking had the intake been moved a bit further back?
but thats just for looks not functionality..
still in terms of looks I say its 2nd to the Flanker family.

still cant imagine how the bays work though

now how does htis affect MiG.. if at all?
and which plant is expected to produce this? IAPO? KNaapo?

There also appears to be a fairing with an inlet on the inside of the starboard tail fin. What could that be for ?

Notice the inlet wall that would suggests there is a twin air duct behind?!!

Also noticeable is the short head clearance. I don't know how a 6ft is gona fit inside.