Strutjet

Corrupt file ? The end of many pages is printers' pie or worse...

Two cryptic responses. What are you guys tryin' to say? :eek:

Nik is referring to the fact that in that file every few pages there's a complete mess of ink in the middle of said page that looks like that was where the page was supposed to end but ultimately didn't.

I interpret DSE's comments as meaning that he likes the Aerojet strutjet work as it utilizes
the earlier NASA work on sidewall compression scramjets at Langley, and also NASA was
involved in the strutjet effort. At least that's what I take from it.

shockonlip said:
I interpret DSE's comments as meaning that he likes the Aerojet strutjet work as it utilizes
the earlier NASA work on sidewall compression scramjets at Langley, and also NASA was

Actually, 180 degrees in the other direction. The strutjet was the initial reference engine for the ISTAR/X-43B rbcc program. Until the team redid the engine mechanical design and weight estimate.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=istar%20rbcc&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CCsQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pwrengineering.com%2Fdataresources%2FISTAR-IntegratedSystemTestOfAnAirbreathingRocket.pdf&ei=iyUGT7KVFs202AWbvuyMAg&usg=AFQjCNHJFCcVy1hRTedZU_4RtTi6cjsbkw&cad=rja

OK, so you're favorite is going forward in time from strutjet. And thanks for the interesting post.

Some of my own bias was showing through as I was going backward in time from strutjet
back to Langley's sidewall compression designs, which I think are very cool.

As you know I am also interested in thermal compression, which in all the implementations
I know of to date, used struts, just placed differently, and the strut designs were different too.
I know you are not a fan of thermal compression.

shockonlip said:
OK, so you're favorite is going forward in time from strutjet. And thanks for the interesting post.

Some of my own bias was showing through as I was going backward in time from strutjet
back to Langley's sidewall compression designs, which I think are very cool.
I'm a fan of what you call sidewall compression, but it has to be done right. First, I prefer to call it 3-d compression as the compression fields are 3-d even from a purely sidewall compression system. That said, remember the LaRC 3-strut had top surface compression for a very good reason and much later variants had top and bottom compression as well as warped sidewalls. Much closer to the truncated streamlined traced designs so in vogue these days. The strutjet inlet relied quite heavily on bleed. Dealing with nearly stagnated Mach 4+ bleed flow is not a trivial issue and the system implications abound. The strutjet had other similar systems related issues.
As you know I am also interested in thermal compression, which in all the implementations
I know of to date, used struts, just placed differently, and the strut designs were different too.
I know you are not a fan of thermal compression.
First, I'm not sure I agree all TC designs used struts. Regardless though, I have yet to see a single systems analysis where the added complexity of this design buys itself in. I'm ready to design/build and fly flight weight hardware. Airbreathing propulsion systems are all ready complex enough, we needn't go out of our way to make them increasingly so, especially at the start. KISS!

AAAdrone said:
Nik is referring to the fact that in that file every few pages there's a complete mess of ink in the middle of said page that looks like that was where the page was supposed to end but ultimately didn't.

Huh. Apart from some dark scans on a few pages mine appears to be fine.

shockonlip said:

This has been gnawing on me for a while. It finally came to me. The strutjet had nothing in common with any of the sidewall compression inlet work done at Langley. It was an "F-14" inlet with enhanced variable geometry, lots of bleed and constant width (outside the leading edges) struts stuck inside to facilitate the rockets incorporated into the struts. Outside the compression required on the swept strut LE which was external, there was no "sidewall" compression at all.