Stratolaunch

View: https://twitter.com/Stratolaunch/status/1521982699547856896

Well done Stratolaunch, and with a new pylon fitted on it as well. I cannot wait to see when the first test vehicles will launch from it. :cool:

I am just glad this monstrous aircraft is clicking up more flights, especially in light of some of its unfortunate antecedents.

hy-talon-1_domenic_moen-stratolaunch_promo_1.jpg

Talon-A.jpg

hy-talon-1_domenic_moen-stratolaunch_promo_1.jpg

Talon-A.jpg

At last Talon A has been revealed, and as far as spaceplanes go it looks gorgeous . Plus to see it getting hung below the mothership is a bonus. :cool:

It seems remarkably small. I respect that they're using the aircraft they have, but I have to suspect that a 747 could carry and drop this.

The Calspan website has a few images of Talon configurations

Attachments

• aerospace-test-articles-page-card.jpg
    aerospace-test-articles-page-card.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 25
  • mps2.jpg
    mps2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 16
  • wind-tunnel-models-design-and-analysis.jpg
    wind-tunnel-models-design-and-analysis.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 15
  • wind-tunnel-models-sl-12-cmm-rear-top.jpg
    wind-tunnel-models-sl-12-cmm-rear-top.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 25
It seems remarkably small. I respect that they're using the aircraft they have, but I have to suspect that a 747 could carry and drop this.
talon-A implies later on vehicles will be larger

talon-A implies later on vehicles will be larger

I look forward for the large successor to the Talon-A to be revealed. But for the mean time I hope that all goes well for the current design of the Talon-A.

View: https://twitter.com/Stratolaunch/status/1534956160146546688?s

Press release
MOJAVE, Calif., June 9, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- Stratolaunch announces the completion of its sixth flight test of Roc, the world's largest flying aircraft. The aircraft flew for 1 hour and 26 minutes over the Mojave Desert and reached an altitude of 15,000 feet (4572 m).

The sixth flight focused on continuing Roc's flight envelope expansion with the recent addition of the pylon on the aircraft's center wing. The pylon, comprised of a mini-wing and adapter, will be used to safely carry and release reusable, rocket-powered Talon-A hypersonic vehicles.

During the test program, the team encountered results that determined they would not complete the full set of test objectives. Therefore, the team focused on accomplishing:

Continued validation of the aircraft's general performance and handling characteristics, with the addition of the recently installed pylon hardware
Continued validation of landing gear operations including door functionality, and alternate gear extension
"Today's flight builds on previous successful flights and hardware enhancements," said Dr. Zachary Krevor, Stratolaunch Chief Executive Officer and President. "We will leverage this flight experience as we complete integrated testing in the coming months and prepare for Talon-A test flights."

The Stratolaunch team recently integrated the TA-0 separation test vehicle with the carrier aircraft for the first time, signaling a priority push toward captive carry and separation testing happening later this year. The team is also making steady progress on system integration its first hypersonic flight test vehicle, TA-1 and on the fabrication of a third vehicle, TA-2, the first fully reusable hypersonic test vehicle. The company anticipates delivering hypersonic flight services to government and commercial customers in 2023.

Seventh test flight.

View: https://twitter.com/stratolaunch/status/1537416045262262273

Today we’re flying our seventh Roc test flight! The flight will focus on continued flight envelope expansion #LetsRoc

View: https://twitter.com/stratolaunch/status/1537459221075312640

Those with a critical eye will have noticed a new data probe on the pylon structure during the last flight. The air data boom will measure the aero environment near Talon-A to ensure we meet our release criteria for future Talon-A launches

View: https://twitter.com/stratolaunch/status/1537466337856995328

A new altitude record for Roc has been reached: 27,000 ft.! This new max. altitude demonstrates we can reach the heights needed for effective Talon launch trajectories #LetsRoc

Press release:

Why spending money on something that brings nothing?! Is that the new business motto of Stratolaunch!? C'mon guys sober up!

Why spending money on something that brings nothing?! Is that the new business motto of Stratolaunch!? C'mon guys sober up!
you meant literally as in its cargo is too light too small or figuratively as in it doesn't add any unique capability when compared to existing platforms?

Last edited:
We saw this today 10/28/22 about 1pm CA time right by Edwards AFB and had a chase plane behind it, anyone know what it is? Looks like 6 engines 3 on each wing and dual tail and all the engines were were very close together.

It was huge!!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-28 at 1.17.20 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-28 at 1.17.20 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 77
What is it? What type of plane is it?
Scaled Composites Stratolaunch “Roc”. It is the worlds largest airplane and there is only 1. Today it did a test flight out of Mojave where it is based. It was a captive carry test of a drop test model of a rocket plane it will someday launch.

Stratolaunch. It's designed to launch large vehicles in flight. It was originally planned as the first stage of a two stage to orbit system. It will be now used to primarily launch high speed test vehicles.

Stratolaunch announces the successful completion of its first captive carry flight with the Talon-A separation test vehicle, TA-0, integrated with Roc's center wing pylon. The eighth flight test of Roc, the world's largest flying aircraft, lasted 5 hours and 6 minutes over the Mojave Desert and reached an altitude of 23,000 feet (7000 meters).

This flight focused on measuring the aerodynamic loads on the Talon-A vehicle while mated to Roc. The loads captured in flight will validate aerodynamic predictions to ensure the release mechanism will function as designed.

"We have conducted a variety of ground tests in anticipation of this first captive carry flight, and with each successful test milestone achieved we have built confidence that the hardware will perform exactly as it was designed. It's exhilarating to see the team's hard work come to life and see the vehicles fly as an integrated system," said Dr. Zachary Krevor, Stratolaunch Chief Executive Officer and President.

The company will complete a series of captive carry flights in the coming months, culminating in a separation test of the TA-0 vehicle out over the Pacific Ocean in late 2022.

Parallel to flight test activity, the company is progressing on system tests of its first hypersonic flight test vehicle, TA-1 and on the fabrication of the first and second fully reusable hypersonic vehicles, TA-2 and TA-3. The company anticipates delivering hypersonic flight services to government and commercial customers in 2023.

"Testing and production are accelerating as we push forward to meet our commitment of providing hypersonic flight test service to our customers next year. Our team will continue accomplishing more complex test milestones as we progress to our first hypersonic flight," Dr. Krevor said.

Such a grave loss of Paul Allen and his Black Ice winged Orbiter HTHL TSTO RLV concept - to quote Billy Joel, Only the Good Die Young(ish)...

Last edited:
Talon looks so cool ridiculously tiny under the wing of @Stratolaunch's ultra-massive Roc carrier aircraft.

Fixed that for them. It is really akin to using, not a hammer but a tactical nuke, just to kill a fly.
Has there been published payload numbers? I’m all for supporting hypersonic flight test vehicles but until Roc has a air launched Minotaur IV sized vehicle with BGV front end I’m losing interest. ;)