Stratolaunch

So the pylon has no trailing edge aerodynamics cover? Just a flat faced end?
At the firmly subsonic speeds that Roc is operating at, looking at the size as well as the wetted surface of the overall vehicle in comparison to the pylon, I can easily see that the result of an associated engineering tradeoff was to not even bother with a pylon trailing edge cover, as long as separation speed can be easily achieved, even if fuel burn affecting range would be very slightly impacted.

MOJAVE, Calif., May 13, 2023 /PRNewswire/ -- Stratolaunch LLC announces it has successfully completed a separation release test of the Talon-A separation test vehicle, TA-0. The flight was the eleventh for the company's launch platform Roc and the second time the team has conducted flight operations in Vandenberg Space Force Base's Western Range off California's central coast.

The flight, which lasted a total of 4 hours and 8 minutes, performed risk reduction by demonstrating the Talon-A launch system can cleanly and safely separate hypersonic vehicles from Roc's center-wing pylon. The test also confirmed telemetry between the vehicles and Vandenberg Space Force Base's communication assets, assuring that back-up telemetry data collection will occur during future hypersonic flight tests.

With this landmark test complete, the team will progress toward its first hypersonic flight of the TA-1 expendable testbed in late summer of 2023.

"Today's test was exceptional," said Dr. Zachary Krevor, Chief Executive Officer and President for Stratolaunch. "It was exhilarating to see TA-0 release safely away from Roc, and I commend our team and partners. Our hardware and data collection systems performed as anticipated, and we now stand at the precipice of achieving hypersonic flight."

"We also thank the Western Range, Vandenberg Space Force Base, for their continued support of our test operations. They have provided us with multiple flight opportunities and have been a great partner adapting to our various schedule requests as we adjusted our release window. We look forward to working together during our future operations pursuing hypersonic flight," he said.

The company will hold a virtual press teleconference to discuss initial results of today's test flight via Zoom on Monday, May 15 at 9 a.m. PST. To join, click here.

They could at least have dropped a 250 mt mockup. It would justify the giganormous carrier a little better.

This was the Plan
thunderbolt-image02-jpg.619530

This was we got
221504-82e84ee85b30697ba4d4731d2ba6738d.jpg

This is the Way ?

Sometimes it is good to start small Michel Van. That way Stratolaunch can iron out all the potential bugs for the next launch.

Stratolaunch has bought Virgin Orbit's 747 and associated equipment. I assumed it was for parts, but the Roc and VO's 747 Cosmic Girl don't use the same engines, which is the main potential commonality. Their statement kind of implies that they are considering using CG as an aditional launch platform for hypersonics testing.

A Stratolaunch spokesperson, in a statement to CNBC, said the company “continually evaluates ways to increase our capacity to meet the imperative for testing hypersonic technologies via leap-ahead flight demonstrations.”

Well done Stratolaunch on buying Cosmic Girl. Though what will happen to VO's rockets I would think that they would be part of the package too?

Well done Stratolaunch on buying Cosmic Girl. Though what will happen to VO's rockets I would think that they would be part of the package too?

Nope, there were no bidders for the rockets, apparently. Remember, Stratolaunch are no longer in the space launch biz, so orbital rockets are not useful to them.

That is sad that there were no bidders for the rockets so I take it that the rockets will get scrapped?

That is sad that there were no bidders for the rockets so I take it that the rockets will get scrapped?

No one has said, but that would be my assumption. A space launch rocket is not the sort of thing you can plug-and-play into a different launcher architecture so they have little to no value.

No one has said, but that would be my assumption. A space launch rocket is not the sort of thing you can plug-and-play into a different launcher architecture so they have little to no value.

Tuesday's filing said Virgin Orbit decided "not to continue the Auction" regarding the company's inventory of LauncherOne rocket engines, the core of its launch business.

"No Successful Bidder or Next-Highest Bidder has been selected for such Assets at this time," the filing said. Discussions on what to do with the rocket engines are ongoing, a spokeswoman said.

It seems that the goal is to transfer the hardware and some IP assets back to Virgin Galactic, seeing no bidders in the auction. But VG doesn't have any way to use LauncherOne rockets (they're too big for its carrier aircraft, which is how we got to Cosmic Girl in the first place).

So what will Virgin Galactic do with the rockets now? Would it be possible to somehow ground launch them? Launching them vertically using a booster rocket attachment instead of an aircraft.

So what will Virgin Galactic do with the rockets now? Would it be possible to somehow ground launch them? Launching them vertically using a booster rocket attachment instead of an aircraft.

Seems really unlikely. VG isn't in the space launch business either and now seems like a really bad time to start.

I think that Stratolaunch buy Cosmic Girl to launch there Talon vehicle
What is cheaper as with giant carrier aircraft they use now...

I think that Stratolaunch buy Cosmic Girl to launch there Talon vehicle
What is cheaper as with giant carrier aircraft they use now...

But that would mean starting from scratch on the flight clearance process, which is almost done for Talon-A.

So what purpose would the buyout of Cosmic Girl have for Stratolaunch? It does not make much sense now, apart from taking CG away from possible competitor startups.

View: https://twitter.com/Stratolaunch/status/1661765488324558848

NEWS: We're excited to officially announce that we're expanding our launch fleet with the acquisition of Virgin Orbit's modified Boeing 747. Read more:

Stratolaunch Expands Fleet with Virgin Orbit's Modified Boeing 747
NEWS PROVIDED BY Stratolaunch
25 May, 2023, 11:48 ET

Builds on Company's Mission to Deliver Routine and Accessible Hypersonic Testing

MOJAVE, Calif., May 25, 2023 /PRNewswire/ -- Stratolaunch, LLC ("Stratolaunch") today announced that it has received approval from the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware to acquire Virgin Orbit's modified Boeing 747 and its related parts and equipment, marking an expansion of Stratolaunch's air-launch fleet. The acquisition is expected to close by July 31, 2023.

Stratolaunch is a technology accelerator that enables reusable and routine hypersonic testing through world-class aerospace vehicles and in-flight test capabilities. Upon closing of the acquisition, the additional aircraft will be repurposed as a launch platform for Stratolaunch's Talon-A reusable hypersonic testbeds and is expected to be fully operational in 2024. The expansion of Stratolaunch's fleet will increase its in-flight test capacity and ability to support government and commercial customers globally.

"The addition of this aircraft is a transformational milestone," said Dr. Zachary Krevor, President and CEO of Stratolaunch. "With Roc remaining as our mainstay aircraft, an additional 747 brings expanded capabilities and flexibility to our platform. We will be able to increase both our flight test capacity and reach to become an even stronger partner to global customers."

The acquisition of the modified 747 follows Stratolaunch's first successful Talon-A vehicle separation test on May 13. During the separation release trial, Stratolaunch demonstrated clean and safe separation of hypersonic vehicles and confirmed telemetry between the vehicles and on-the-ground communication assets. With this landmark test complete, Stratolaunch will progress toward its first hypersonic flight of the TA-1 expendable testbed in late summer 2023.

Krevor continued: "The need for hypersonic testing has never been greater and we are committed to fulfilling this national imperative. We are making tremendous strides as we continue to enable the future of hypersonic testing. With the recent successful Talon-A separation test, we are excited to prepare for our first hypersonic flight of the TA-1 testbed."

The acquisition is subject to customary closing conditions. Following closing of the acquisition, the aircraft will undergo maintenance and modification to accommodate its new hypersonic test mission. The launch platform will also be renamed in the coming months.

About Stratolaunch

Stratolaunch's mission is to advance high-speed technology through innovative design, manufacturing, and operation of world-class aerospace vehicles. For the latest news and information, visit www.stratolaunch.com and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.

SOURCE Stratolaunch

At least Cosmic Girl will still be getting used, so that is a good thing.

The real question is why they didn't buy an used 747 before...
This kind of hastly released PR material flags an apparent lack of long lead planning. Not good.

The real question is why they didn't buy an used 747 before...
This kind of hastly released PR material flags an apparent lack of long lead planning. Not good.
My guess is that though it was originally designed for launching heavy rockets into space, the Roc was 'adequate' as a mothership for hypersonic text vehicles and they didn't see the need or have the funds to buy a 747 and modify it. Cosmic Girl is better suited to the role, a bargain (because no-one else has a use for it), and most of the necessary modifications have already been done. Moreover, Roc is still an experimental aircraft while the 747 has over half a century of experience, development and spare parts behind it.

Roc may well be retired unless they move forward on the spaceplane.

Before Virgin Orbit bankruptcy, ROC was refurbished, designed for modifications, modified and test flown for years.
I am pretty sure that acquiring an used 747 and fitting their pylon design on it would have cost less.
Flying ROC only makes sense if they also plan gathering experience on it at the same time for larger vehicles.
If now they segregate their launches without having a larger vehicle to fly under ROC, they are basically back where they started, minus investor millions spent on it... Doesn't make much sense.
I hope it's only a communication mistake from an ecstatic management at the end of a Tequila party as, otherwise, it would send the message that they have radically changed their business model, adopting the one from one that just failed...

Doesn’t this make ROC rather redundant as this 747 looks a much better fit for their current needs especially the size of vehicle they are currently testing.

I've just checked weight of the late LauncherOne: 30 metric tons. And on a wing pylon, with de facto asymmetrical and weight limitations.

ROC can carry 250 mt right on the centerline.

So to me they are not in competition... as long as Stratolaunch plans larger and larger vehicles, of course. So far their mockup is indeed, quite ridiculous in size when compared to either ROC or Cosmic Girl.

I've just checked weight of the late LauncherOne: 30 metric tons. And on a wing pylon, with de facto asymmetrical and weight limitations.
nice Talon-A launch mass is 2700 kg or 6000 lb so no problem for Cosmic Girl or how Stratolaunch will relabel it.

i wonder that Stratolaunch not looking in option to use Roc as Cargo plane with modules

ROC is still an experimental airplane. Not the best choice to fly promptly across the globe as a commercial service provider.
If they don't gather flight data and experience, ROC is dead.

nice Talon-A launch mass is 2700 kg or 6000 lb so no problem for Cosmic Girl or how Stratolaunch will relabel it.

i wonder that Stratolaunch not looking in option to use Roc as Cargo plane with modules
Rutan had discussions with FEDEX and UPS during the first phase (Lofty) regarding the potential of using Roc with large cargo modules or to contract out to rapidly transport over-sized, critical cargo. The major limitation was airfields/airports, Roc is not easy related to ground handling and the wide gear track imposed issues as well. I was involved Roc early on when I worked in Mojave, preliminary aircraft system/subsystem development.

You start a courier business thinking big about how much cargo you can haul so you buy a highway tracker. But the actual loads are much smaller. A smaller competitor goes out of business and you get his F550 for a bargain as you realize it is better suited for 98% of what you need.

The F-550 gets used more and more the highway tractor collects dust.

RIP ROC