SRAM 2 (AGM-131A) & SRAM-T (AGM-131B)

Random nugget: SRAM-II and SRAM-A were considered for the Anti-Ballistic Missile role as part of the LEAP (Lightweight Exo-Atmospheric Projectile) programme. Test flights were successfully launched from B-1 and B-52 aircraft in 1992 and 1993. I'm not sure how far the testing went after that - the reference I have is from 1994 (Robinson, S D & Matlock, R S, LEAP Technology Upgrades to Tactical Missiles Provide Near-Term Options for Theater Missile Defense, NEJ V106 No 2, March 1994).

RP1

Nothing like resurrecting an old thread :)

Scans from an info card of the McDonnell Douglas SRAM II offering....

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• xMcDonnell Douglas SRAM II - 1.jpg
    xMcDonnell Douglas SRAM II - 1.jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 550
  • xMcDonnell Douglas SRAM II - 2.jpg
    xMcDonnell Douglas SRAM II - 2.jpg
    412.1 KB · Views: 576
oh, my!thanks, mark! we owe much internetz to you!

Any idea on what the payload was for the SRAM-T? This is one nuclear weapons program I think they should have kept running following the end of the cold war. Especially now that they retired the AGM-129 early.

Attachments

• AGM-131 SRAM II Model - 8.JPG
    AGM-131 SRAM II Model - 8.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 198
  • AGM-131 SRAM II Model - 7.JPG
    AGM-131 SRAM II Model - 7.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 192
  • AGM-131 SRAM II Model - 6.JPG
    AGM-131 SRAM II Model - 6.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 127
  • AGM-131 SRAM II Model - 5.JPG
    AGM-131 SRAM II Model - 5.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 156
  • AGM-131 SRAM II Model - 4.JPG
    AGM-131 SRAM II Model - 4.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 159
  • AGM-131 SRAM II Model - 3.JPG
    AGM-131 SRAM II Model - 3.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 160
  • AGM-131 SRAM II Model - 2.JPG
    AGM-131 SRAM II Model - 2.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 156
  • AGM-131 SRAM II Model - 1.JPG
    AGM-131 SRAM II Model - 1.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 245
Does anyone happen to have some actual measurements for the AGM-131? Because the public specs (39 cm diameter, 318 cm length, as printed by Designation-Systems.net and Wikipedia) results in a noticeably stubbier and fatter missile than the various museum photos indicate when I try to model it in 3D.

Anyone have any idea for reimagining it with modern tech? Seems like a cool enough weapon to be the US version of the Kinzhal ballistic missile that the Russians are currently fielding

Anyone have any idea for reimagining it with modern tech? Seems like a cool enough weapon to be the US version of the Kinzhal ballistic missile that the Russians are currently fielding
Different class. Size and range Kinzhal is more like Skybolt (AGM-48)
Ah woops. Still would make a cool cruise-missile of sorts

Anyone have any idea for reimagining it with modern tech?
you are basically thinking of ROCKS .
Israel air launched ballistic missile with an EO and anti radar seeker
View attachment 666471
First time I've heard of this missile, are there any other sources of information on it such as wikipedia?

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Israeli airforce has their own version armed with a nuclear-warhead.

View attachment 666471
First time I've heard of this missile, are there any other sources of information on it such as wikipedia?

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Israeli airforce has their own version armed with a nuclear-warhead.
You can go to the manufacturer site
Basically, after using the Black/Blue/Silver sparrow decoy series to simulate ballistic missile target. Israel apparently thought "what if we put the Spice seeker on it. And then you got the ROCKS

View attachment 666471

You can go to the manufacturer site
Basically, after using the Black/Blue/Silver sparrow decoy series to simulate ballistic missile target. Israel apparently thought "what if we put the Spice seeker on it. And then you got the ROCKS
Thanks! What are the odds that the Israeli airforce would have a secret nuclear-armed version?

Los Alamos recently had an unclassified display commemorating 30 years since the last US nuclear test. I sent the LANL library an email asking for photos of the display and in it they included images of the Julin Divider nuclear device. Divider being the last US nuclear device fired. To the best of my knowledge, this is the only public image of a US test device from the days of underground testing.

I made the images available on Wikipedia: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Divider_(nuclear_test)

I believe that this device is the W91/SRAM-T warhead. This is based on the device being the same colour and shape as the SRAM-II/SRAM-T nosecone (Divider was a LANL test, which rules out the LLNL developed W89 SRAM-II warhead). It even has the ring of paint. At a glance, the material also appears to be the same. The tip of the warhead section shell appears to have been removed. I believe the image "Divider device 1" explains this as they have attached something to it. The test might have been a test performed in conjunction with the actual missile arming, firing and fuzing system, with this attachment simulating contact fuzing.

The only problem with this theory is that SRAM-II/SRAM-T were cancelled a this point. But there is precedent for them finishing up development of a system if it was almost finished at cancellation (W86 warhead for example). They may also have gone ahead with the test if Los Alamos saw the device as being important for future weapons. I've heard that the W91 was their "New Mexico 1" device which they proposed for the Reliable Replacement Warhead program.

Also, for those wondering why the aeroshell is included in the test, some devices were apparently sensitive to changes in mass near the radiation case as this extra material provided a tamping effect. I know that the W76 is one design sensitive to this.

Last edited: