SpaceX (general discussion)

Ah, I see where I made my mistake. RanulfC started that line of thought. (I'd blocked him because I got tired of getting spammed by his walls of text.)

Ok, I had to go back and look but I'm laughing on this one:

(Note even though I have some "issues" vis-a-vis Musk's plans this must be said)

What's he doing that doesn't meet your approval? :confused:

I DID warn him :)
(Note even though I have some "issues" vis-a-vis Musk's plans this must be said)

What's he doing that doesn't meet your approval? :confused:

How long do you have? :)

Randy

A plethora of people in France and Belgium witnessed Starlink satellites* slow rise to orbit after the launch success.

*(Ovni = UFO)

Completed the tests without anything blowing up this time.

Completed the tests without anything blowing up this time.

Was it supposed to blow up?

No. It's a reference to the previous SuperDraco test that ended in an explosion.

Why is SpaceX able to do the job faster and cheaper than Boeing? Why do they keep being rewarded for lower performance? Is it company culture? You can throw a dart and hit problem Boeing projects.

Why is SpaceX able to do the job faster and cheaper than Boeing? Why do they keep being rewarded for lower performance? Is it company culture? You can throw a dart and hit problem Boeing projects.

Very good, factual, must read article.

A.

SpaceX launch highlights threat to astronomy from ‘megaconstellations’

Most telescopes can deal with that, says Olivier Hainaut, an astronomer at the European Southern Observatory (ESO) in Garching, Germany. Even if more companies launch megaconstellations, many astronomers might still be okay, he says. Hainaut has calculated that if 27,000 new satellites are launched, then ESO’s telescopes in Chile would lose about 0.8% of their long-exposure observing time near dusk and dawn. “Normally, we don’t do long exposures during twilight,” he says. “We are pretty sure it won’t be a problem for us.”

But an upcoming, cutting-edge telescope could be in bigger trouble. The US Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST) will use an enormous camera to study dark matter and dark energy, asteroids and other astronomical phenomena. It will survey the entire visible sky at least once every three nights, starting in 2022. Because the telescope has such a wide field of view, satellites trailing across the sky could affect it substantially, says Tony Tyson, an astronomer at the University of California, Davis, and the LSST’s chief scientist.

He and his colleagues have been studying how up to 50,000 new satellites — an estimate from companies’ filings with the US government — could affect LSST observations. Full results are expected in a few weeks, but early findings suggest that the telescope could lose significant amounts of observing time to satellite trails near dusk and dawn.

SpaceX Starship Mk1’s most important tests yet could begin just hours from now

By Eric Ralph

Posted on November 18, 2019

SpaceX’s South Texas Starship Mk1 prototype is on the verge of kicking off a critical period of ground tests, ranging from tank pressurization and propellant loading to the rocket’s first triple-Raptor engine static fire. The campaign could begin soon – perhaps as soon as later today, in fact.[/quote]

it's bulkhead of the Lox tank blow off

Since it's build from Steel-alloy it's better to repair as traditional Rocket tank from Aluminum or Composite material
But this will delay the Boca China operations allot
Seems that Mk2. will be first to fly from cape

Elon's said that they're just going to continue with Mk3 rather than repair Mk1 (some components like flap actuator mounts could get cannibalised). Mk2 might do the 20km hop first, but Mk3 might not be far behind (Mk3 and Mk4 began production weeks or months ago - the rings laying around in this video are for Mk4):

Also, it appears that it was the weld between the top 2 rings that failed rather than a bulkhead failure.

Attachments

• DSC_0004 (3).jpg
    DSC_0004 (3).jpg
    4 MB · Views: 25
  • Boca Chica Starship Mk1 111119 (NASASpaceflight - Nomadd) 2 circle.jpg
    Boca Chica Starship Mk1 111119 (NASASpaceflight - Nomadd) 2 circle.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 26
Also, it appears that it was the weld between the top 2 rings that failed rather than a bulkhead failure.

I'd really like to see the weld design. A properly engineered weld should not fail before the base material so either there was a discontinuity or a miscalculation. Could've been the heat affected zone that really failed.