• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

SpaceX (general discussion)

Moose

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Is it supposed to stack like this or are we looking at two different vehicles?

View attachment 617232
It's supposed to stack, thus far each site is only building 1 Starship prototype. Though Florida definitely seems to also be building an assembly hall for follow-on vehicles.

Hobbes

Reaction score
no, they're not going to stack pointy ends on top of each other. That's 2 nose cones. The separate nose may be the one that fell over a while ago.

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
no, they're not going to stack pointy ends on top of each other. That's 2 nose cones. The separate nose may be the one that fell over a while ago.
That's not what's being illustrated. Go look at the original picture.

Hobbes

Reaction score
I see now, somebody copied and pasted the nose cone. But you're the one who posted the picture here, didn't the site where you got it have a caption?

sferrin

Reaction score
I see now, somebody copied and pasted the nose cone. But you're the one who posted the picture here, didn't the site where you got it have a caption?
You're still not seeing. Flyaway posted the original picture with the cylinder on one stand and a nose section on another. I pasted the nose section on the cylinder and asked if that was the final configuration. Nobody said anything about "stacking pointy ends on top of each other". No idea how you would come to that conclusion.

Hobbes

Reaction score
You're still not seeing. Flyaway posted the original picture with the cylinder on one stand and a nose section on another. I pasted the nose section on the cylinder and asked if that was the final configuration. Nobody said anything about "stacking pointy ends on top of each other". No idea how you would come to that conclusion.
I didn't see the original image because that image wasn't posted here, there's just a link to a Twitter post. I don't open all of those. And you could have made it a bit clearer where you got that image and what you did to it.

sferrin

Reaction score
I didn't see the original image because that image wasn't posted here, there's just a link to a Twitter post. I don't open all of those. And you could have made it a bit clearer where you got that image and what you did to it.
I don't know how I could have made it clearer. I had a yellow arrow from where it was to where I moved it to.

Flyaway

Reaction score

Flyaway

Reaction score

Great progress by Starship Cape team. Started several months behind, but catching up fast. This will be a super fun race to orbit, moon & Mars!

Will Starship ever go horizontal during the build?

Will starship ever launch from Vandenberg?

Not in current plans, but that may change

Flyaway

Reaction score

Flyaway

Reaction score

While the weather didn’t allow for us to get off the media bus to place our remote cameras, it did provide for some stunning photography that will be hard to repeat. Check out that wall cloud! #AMOS17 #SpaceX

An incredible shelf cloud moved over the Cape early this afternoon. We were unable to set remote cameras for the #SpaceX #Falcon9 #Amos17 launch, but we were able to capture this awesome scene! #flwx #lightning

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Are the wire bracing pylons around the launching tower a new thing?

Flyaway

Reaction score
I suspect you’ve heard by now that after it’s 200m hop the StarHopper will be retired, cannibalised for parts and the test program taken over by Starship Orbital prototype MK1 with three Raptors.

martinbayer

Reaction score
This is not a specific criticism of the previous post, because it seems to happen everywhere all the time, but what exactly is the purpose/benefit of posting a tweet and then repeating the text of that tweet?

kitnut617

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Because, not everyone here bothers with Twitter, Farcebook or any of the other so called 'social media' platforms.

Besides, doesn't posts in twitter disappear after a few days, I thought I read that somewhere.

Hobbes

Reaction score
This is not a specific criticism of the previous post, because it seems to happen everywhere all the time, but what exactly is the purpose/benefit of posting a tweet and then repeating the text of that tweet?
It's similar to uploading images to the forum instead of just linking to them: the content will be preserved even when the source website goes offline. For a forum that serves as a library, it's good practice.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Are the wire bracing pylons around the launching tower a new thing?
No those wire are part of lightning rod system, the four pylons with white cylinder on top.
Thanks. But has it been like that before? I find weird that they are braced together (this is not structural). In case of a thunderbolt strikes them, what are the odds that the stream of electrons would gently follow the wire.... Zero?

Hobbes

Reaction score
Not zero. The wire offers lower resistance than the air around it, so yes, the lightning will preferentially strike the wire. It won't be gentle and likely melt the wire, but if that's what it takes to prevent a strike on the rocket, that's a small price to pay.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Impressive at last: The hover near ground lasted some time and seemed perfectly clean. I