Soviet "Solntse" naval heat radiaton sensor

Wurger

ACCESS: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
25 October 2007
Messages
1,218
Reaction score
596
I wonder if someone have a quality photo/drawing of the "Solntse" naval heat sensor, installed on several Sverdlov class cruisers. It was the brainchild of a team led by Mikhail Smirnov, who had worked with IR during WW2.
 
I have not heard of this particular sensor, but I have come across references for the MI-110 series of infrared submarine wake detection systems. MI-110K and MI-110KM were infrared sensors mounted behind a window in the stem of many Soviet ASW ships and MI-110R was a radiation sensor designated to detect the induced radioactivity of seawater caused by the neutron flux from a nuclear submarine. I wonder if what your referring to was a predecessor to the ASW MI-110K or a device for detecting other craft.
 
I have not heard of this particular sensor, but I have come across references for the MI-110 series of infrared submarine wake detection systems. MI-110K and MI-110KM were infrared sensors mounted behind a window in the stem of many Soviet ASW ships and MI-110R was a radiation sensor designated to detect the induced radioactivity of seawater caused by the neutron flux from a nuclear submarine. I wonder if what your referring to was a predecessor to the ASW MI-110K or a device for detecting other craft.
It was way simpler, with bolometers cooled with dry ice, sensing the heat generated by smokestacks and wave Hull attrition. I believe that the same scientists were involved later, though, on the technology you mentioned.
 
Last edited:

Similar threads

Back
Top Bottom