Soviet COIN and light Shturmovik Projects

As I understand, the reason behind those design was the desire, to be able in the event of a war to produce attack
aircraft with whatever components were available. Was there any kind of standardisation efective for those Soviet/
Russian aircraft ? I'm not convinced, that putting together, say the nose of a Ka-50 with the tail of a Su-25 and the
engines of a MiG-29 is that easy, as with a model it !

Yes - it seems insane to me too. I wonder if you could create bulk-heads that acted as structural interfaces (i.e. mimicked the design of the original plane on either side). Not efficient - but possible.

I'm also guessing that some of the cockpits would be little more than sensors and transparent elements. You'd have to do substantial rewiring and avionics changes for an Mi-24 cockpit to easily accommodate a fixed-wing turboprop transport aircraft's body...

bigvlada said:
Beautiful pictures Paul, especially the mi 24 derivatives. Do you know the purpose of the curious looking engine exhaust in the picture labeled T-780 12_167.jpg ?

According to the article posted by TT_Coasta a couple of pages up - they were thrust reversers

A question to Paul: how do all these Aeroprogress projects tie in with the "T-8V" drawings posted earlier here:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,50.msg204830.html#msg204830

Paul - just caught a slight oversight:
T-952 8_174.jpg
T-952 9_159.jpg

Belong in the T-890 post (reply #114 - just below the post they are in).

Thanks for posting these, very interesting designs. The T-780 and T-782 remind me of the original artist concepts of the Su-25 seen in the late '70s and early '80s.

Or maybe first you can still view the topic, and then bring this photo again. And in general, what does this experimental aircraft have to do with the attack aircraft? Please explain to me

As I understand, the reason behind those design was the desire, to be able in the event of a war to produce attack
aircraft with whatever components were available. Was there any kind of standardisation efective for those Soviet/
Russian aircraft ? I'm not convinced, that putting together, say the nose of a Ka-50 with the tail of a Su-25 and the
engines of a MiG-29 is that easy, as with a model it !

I have long thought that the Polish PZL M-15 Belphlegor was the bastardized product of factory manager with too many Yak 40 business jet parts laying about, but a contract to build agricultural airplanes for Soviet collective farms.
The result was loud, heavy, inefficient and soon dropped from production in favour of more An-2 biplanes.
Hah!
Hah!

Last edited:
Well, what's the M-15 side here?
Then read the reviews of the pilots who flew on it. (the magazine "Aviation and Time" No. 4 2006) and the book by K. Udalov "AIRCRAFT DESIGNER R. A. IZMAILOV AND HIS PLANES". Then Hah! Hah! Hah! Hah!

All these Sukhoi designs.

Were they COIN aircraft or were they easy to build fighter aircraft to continue fighting World War III after a nuclear exchange?

Doomsday Assault Plane

Last edited:
Doomsday Assault Plane

"Doomsday Assault Plane".

Christ almighty is this DC Comics now?

Not all languages translate well into modern western slang.

"Doomsday Assault Plane".

Christ almighty is this DC Comics now?
Google translate from russian:

"At the end of the eighties, the military leadership of the country spread the concept that in the event of a nuclear strike on the USSR, the Union would break up into four industrially isolated regions - the Western Region, the Urals, the Far East and Ukraine. According to the plans of the leadership, each region, even in difficult post-apocalyptic conditions, should have been able to independently produce an inexpensive aircraft to strike at the enemy. This aircraft was supposed to be the Easy-Reproducible Attack Aircraft."

T-752 Shtyk

The T-752 was projected as an all-weather WIG strike aircraft for use in local conflicts and anti-helicopter/light aircraft missions. The tandem wing and V-tail configuration was to provide a high CG and minimum induced drag. Deflecting the high-lift devices during all flight regimes enabled effective balancing without rudders. The cockpit was armoured with titanium and composites, the fuel tanks filled with polyurethane foam, and engine exhaust pipe nozzles mounted overwing to reduce IR signature. Triple redundant flight control system. Five airborne troops or two litters with an attendant could be carried in a cargo compartment aft of the cockpit. Weapon aiming sensors mounted in the nosecone and on sidebody fairings.

Sources
  • Brassey's World Aircraft & Systems Directory 1996/97

T-752 is very Gerry Anderson to look at (which means I love it) but I'm deeply confused about an overland WIG approach. If WIG starts to get serious at maybe half the wingspan in altitude, then we're presumably talking about 7-8 meters, i.e., below tree-top level.

I guess maybe it makes more sense if you grow up looking at the steppes, and I assume it's at least a B class, probably a C class WIG, so capable of going up out of ground effect, but I'm just not seeing the case for WIG for a non-maritime COIN / attack aircraft.

What is this? Is it related to the designs of this Soviet/Russian program?

GEC9uqOWsAAePSZ.jpeg

02 (1).png
W

Attachments

• 03-edit-20240119200514.jpg
    03-edit-20240119200514.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 34