South African Vehicles

Matt_Fisher

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Looking for information and pics on the following South African vehicle projects which never went into production:

Iron Eagle 4x4

Mechem MC-90

Mechem Krokodil 6x6

Mechem Gator 8x8

Rooikat Infantry Combat Vehicle Technology Demonstrator

MDB Mantis

Hey Matt ... welcome aboard ;D

Mechem/Alvis Iron Eagle

Designed in 1989 by Mechem Consultants (Denel), taken over by Alvis. Within the Alvis plan, Iron Eagle was to be matched with Mamba IIs (as the Alvis 8 and Alvis 11 depending on seating). Iron Eagle shared the Mamba's Unimog drivetrain (but now mounted in the left rear of the Iron Eagle hull).

Iron Eagle was to be a 3-man recce and liaison vehicle to replace aging Ferrets. It was mine protected (welded armour monocoque hull 7.62mm/splinter resistant) and qualified for airdrops (5 chutes per vehicle)

The plan for Iron Eagle (Ysterarend) for SADF parachute btns fell through and Alvis developed the concept further as its Scarab. Three Iron Eagle / Ysterarend TDP vehicles were completed.

The crew arrangement is driver centre front (and looking very Ratel), with veh cmdr and gunner side-by-side directly behind the driver.

Specs

Length 3.6 m 11.81 ft
Width 2.1 m 6.89 ft
Height 1.74 m 5.71 ft
Combat weight 4.23 tonnes 4.66 tons
Fuel capacity 90 liters 23.94 gal
Performance. The maximum speed and range figures are on hard earth surfaces.
Maximum speed 105 km/h 65 mph
Maximum range 378 km 234.7 statute miles
Step 47 cm 1.54 ft
Trench 78 cm 2.56 ft
Slope 26% 26%
Gradient 64% 64%
Fording 1.2 m 3.94 ft

Mercedes 123 hp (92 kW) and 4 + 4 manual gearbox and two-speed transfer box.

Armament: quick-change pallet-mounted main armament (M40 106mm recoilless, Milan ATGM, 81mm M3 mortar, R107 MLRS), pintle-mount 7.62mm MG4 on right side.

I've googled some pictures of the Iron Eagle/Ysterarend:

1232294169_tanki_001_small.jpg

1232516859_egle.jpg

In the Russian forum at http://www.armourbook.com/forum/main_forum/first_aid/2008-12-11/kolesnye_bronemashiny/page/1.html you'll find more info on (among others) South African AFVs.

Best regards,
Piotr

Nice one Piotr! I've never seen the Ysterarend with the RCL fitted before.

Does anyone know what happened to the Mechanology Design Bureau? MDB seems to have gone to ground after the SASDF-Ratel-bits-for-Jordan scandal. Is Mechanology (Pty) Ltd related to MDB?

Matt_Fisher said:
Looking for information and pics on the following South African vehicle projects which never went into production:

Iron Eagle 4x4

Mechem MC-90

Mechem Krokodil 6x6

Mechem Gator 8x8

Rooikat Infantry Combat Vehicle Technology Demonstrator

MDB Mantis

I have some pictures of a few of these. I'll post them up tomorrow.