South African missiles/rockets/PGM's - Prototypes, Projects, Concepts, etc.

Graugrun

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
So confirmation that Al-Tariq has been 'intergrated' and in use on US made F-16's.

The part in the article describing the 'intergration' is rather interesting - is this way of doing things going to become more of the norm, and the potential death of very expensive, long and convoluted intergration projects (and working past potential resistance by the aircraft manufacturers, who often don't want rival weapons intergrated on their aircraft)?

Egyptian Air Force F-16s, Mirage 2000s fitted with Al Tariq PGMs​

https://www.defenceweb.co.za/featur...f-16s-mirage-2000s-fitted-with-al-tariq-pgms/

Attachments

• Al_Tariq_Egypt_F-16.jpg
    Al_Tariq_Egypt_F-16.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 46

Thorn

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Hi kaiserbill

Apologies for the delay

Just about all I know about Carver I poured into the book. However, there is another book written by an author (locally), which I am trying to locate. If you see my study you will concur. It focuses on SAAF Mirages and also has info about Carver at the end.

Regarding Skua, I have little doubt that the then NP goverment intended to field it as a C/M. Otherwise, why go to all the trouble of building a suitable powerplant (APA-1), integrated flight control and mission computer, NAV system and GPS.

The Iranian Karrar's main difference with Skua is of course in the mounting of the powerplant. It carries a variety of munitions. If the Iranians turn Karrar into a suicide drone, the difference between it and a C/M becomes vague.

Pierre might have more info on Carver, but sadly he appears to have dropped out of this scene all together.

Regards

Thorn

Thorn

Reaction score
`
Welcome Thorn.
What an interesting turn of events.
I have many, many questions I would love to ask you, as I'm sure many here have.
Thank you.

I am still getting used to this website and its interface. Apologies if I had inadvertedly not replied to posts addressed to me.

Regards

Thorn

Thorn

Reaction score
`
Welcome Thorn.
I have many, many questions I would love to ask you, as I'm sure many here have.
Thank you.

I am still getting used to this website and its interface. Apologies if I had inadvertedly not replied to posts addressed to me.

Regards

Thorn
kaserbill

Could not find the book (sigh), but found the 2 images that I wanted to show you from this book.

Also, found a basketfull of info regarding Carver that I will panelbeat and send to you via this forum.

Regards

Thorn

kaiserbill

Reaction score
Thanks Thorn.
For those not in the know, Thorns mention of Pierre is referencing his co author on Those Who had The Power.

kaiserbill

Reaction score

Thorn

Reaction score
Graciously thank you.

I will peruse the abovememtioned sites (wow..) and respond to the same as per your earliest convenience.

OMGosh kaiserbill, I hope that the last written does not sound overboard. I do however, strangely, admit that I have a preference for the Kings English (?).

Regards

Thorn

BLACK_MAMBA

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Thanks Thorn.
For those not in the know, Thorns mention of Pierre is referencing his co author on Those Who had The Power.
Maybe Thorn can reproduce/retell some of the content here? That book is incredibly difficult to source, and a first edition (allegedly before its content was forcibly further reduced) even rarer.

Thorn

Reaction score
Hi Black Mamba

As far as I know it is off the market.

I do however have a late working draft which I regard as my own personal intellectual property, the finished product at the time not being copyrighted or published yet.

I can send it to you as is. Without compromising your personal information, where can I send it to via Dropbox.

I will trust your discretion in this regard, as well as, your loyalty to this group. ( Gobbledygook - Klingon would possibly be less circumspect ... )

Regards

Thorn

Graugrun

Reaction score
Hi Black Mamba

I do however have a late working draft which I regard as my own personal intellectual property, the finished product at the time not being copyrighted or published yet.

I can send it to you as is. Without compromising your personal information, where can I send it to via Dropbox.

I will trust your discretion in this regard, as well as, your loyalty to this group. ( Gobbledygook - Klingon would possibly be less circumspect ... )

Regards

Thorn
Hi Thorn,

The late working draft you mention above - is that of the original "Those who had the Power" - or is this of another/different version that you are talking about?

Thorn

Reaction score
Hi Black Mamba

Naturally not of the original, rather a less splitting image thereof, as decorum would dictate.

Regards

Thorn

BLACK_MAMBA

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Hi Black Mamba

Regards

Thorn
Hi Thorn, I sent you a personal message.

Regards

Thorn

Reaction score
Hi Kaiserbill

Got to the first website under Aviation above. I intend to work them through one every day.

As I mentioned to Black Mamba there really are some impressive contributers on the site.

Regards

Thorn

Thorn

Reaction score
`
Welcome Thorn.
Thank you.

Regards

Thorn
kaserbill

Could not find the book (sigh), but found the 2 images that I wanted to show you from this book.

Also, found a basketfull of info regarding Carver that I will panelbeat and send to you via this forum.

Regards

Thorn
Hi kaiserbill.

Darn, forgot to mention this in my previous. Twose two images as per that other still 'lost' book has already been posted to Secretforums.

Also the knowledge similarly posted here also, exceeds that which I gathered.

BTW. The image of a twin engined Caver which you posted on Jan 26, 2019, with a grey sky as backdrop, really is haunting in its beauty.

kaiserbill

Reaction score
Hi Kaiserbill

Got to the first website under Aviation above. I intend to work them through one every day.

As I mentioned to Black Mamba there really are some impressive contributers on the site.

Regards

Thorn
This is a very high quality forum... by far the best on the web, by a country mile.

Graugrun

Reaction score
Looking through Defenceweb's virtual press office for Rheinmetall-Denel Munitions - I found a write up regarding the "Halcon Skyknight" missile, which we know is the Denel Cheetah missile (which is pretty much a further development of the Mongoose-3).

I've posted about this missile a couple of times over the last 4 years within this thread.

Rheinmetall paid for it's final development, however a fair amount of the important components had already been developed and tested before Rheinmetall took an interest in it - although they claim it's a completely different missile in the article, however they then pretty much contradict themselves in the the same article, as per the quoted bit in itallics below. (full article in the link below that).

The seeker developed by Denel is very interesting to me, as it must be one of the smallest and most low cost active radar seekers out in the market. The Denel developed missile itself is also a pretty advanced and highly agile missile (all fins tandom movement and "Piff-Paff" type directional rockets), especially in terms of it's small size..

Rheinmetall previously worked with Denel on the similar Cheetah concept, which was first unveiled at the September 2016 edition of the Africa Aerospace and Defence (AAD) exhibition. Development started in 2014, with static warhead tests in 2017 and two test shots in 2018. In 2019, Rheinmetall said final development would most likely require a launch customer.

The Cheetah was developed in partnership by Rheinmetall Denel Munition (RDM), Denel Dynamics (DD) and Rheinmetall Air Defence and Radar Systems (ADRS). Denel Dynamics was responsible for the missile system including the seeker, guidance system etc. The complete and integrated system was being marketed by Rheinmetall Air Defence. The Cheetah missile was designed to be integrated into Rheinmetall's Oerlikon Skynex, Skyranger, Skyshield or Skyguard gun based air defence systems, but it could theoretically be fitted to other air defence systems.

https://www.defenceweb.co.za/office/rheinmetall/PressRelease.php?StoryID=114400

Attachments

• SkyKnight_Halcon.jpg
    SkyKnight_Halcon.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 21

Thorn

Reaction score
Looking through Defenceweb's virtual press office for Rheinmetall-Denel Munitions - I found a write up regarding the "Halcon Skyknight" missile, which we know is the Denel Cheetah missile (which is pretty much a further development of the Mongoose-3).

I've posted about this missile a couple of times over the last 4 years within this thread.

Rheinmetall paid for it's final development, however a fair amount of the important components had already been developed and tested before Rheinmetall took an interest in it - although they claim it's a completely different missile in the article, however they then pretty much contradict themselves in the the same article, as per the quoted bit in itallics below. (full article in the link below that).

The seeker developed by Denel is very interesting to me, as it must be one of the smallest and most low cost active radar seekers out in the market. The Denel developed missile itself is also a pretty advanced and highly agile missile (all fins tandom movement and "Piff-Paff" type directional rockets), especially in terms of it's small size..

Rheinmetall previously worked with Denel on the similar Cheetah concept, which was first unveiled at the September 2016 edition of the Africa Aerospace and Defence (AAD) exhibition. Development started in 2014, with static warhead tests in 2017 and two test shots in 2018. In 2019, Rheinmetall said final development would most likely require a launch customer.

The Cheetah was developed in partnership by Rheinmetall Denel Munition (RDM), Denel Dynamics (DD) and Rheinmetall Air Defence and Radar Systems (ADRS). Denel Dynamics was responsible for the missile system including the seeker, guidance system etc. The complete and integrated system was being marketed by Rheinmetall Air Defence. The Cheetah missile was designed to be integrated into Rheinmetall's Oerlikon Skynex, Skyranger, Skyshield or Skyguard gun based air defence systems, but it could theoretically be fitted to other air defence systems.

https://www.defenceweb.co.za/office/rheinmetall/PressRelease.php?StoryID=114400
Thank you

Very informative post/

Regards

Thorn

Griffin7028

Reaction score
Kentron SAHV-3
Does anyone have more information on the Kentron SAHV-3 which was tested on the cactus, for example, technical data or brochures, books discussing the development & testing of the missile, and what kind of tracking the missile used? Any official sources will greatly be appreciated. 135235246_3453680891421419_1114106074477159326_n.jpg