some IJN battleship projects

Forgive as I obviously know very little about naval craft. Why were IJN ships built with what seems to be bridge structures that were very high. It couldn't really have effected the seaworthyness, otherwise they would have designed them differently. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but they do look odd. Sorry, I'll most probably find a bat put up me nightdress now!!!

Forgive as I obviously know very little about naval craft. Why were IJN ships built with what seems to be bridge structures that were very high. It couldn't really have effected the seaworthyness, otherwise they would have designed them differently. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but they do look odd. Sorry, I'll most probably find a bat put up me nightdress now!!!
The higher you can mount the directors for the main guns, the further you can shoot accurately.

The higher you can mount the directors for the main guns, the further you can shoot accurately.
Why did the allies not seem to follow suit? Were their gunnery systems more efficient?

Why did the allies not seem to follow suit? Were their gunnery systems more efficient?
Different design philosophies. Look at some of the interwar US and British ships. They had towers just as high. But due to different designs, they didn't appear as tall. Check out the cage masts that American battleships originally sported

Didn't see that coming. Nice.

Back
Top Bottom