Some Cancelled Projects and What-ifs I brought to life in 1/72 scale....

And something else I've been on & off for a little over 2 years; A diorama of BAC's own "What If?", the Lightning F.53 Multi-role export variant as seen at airshows in the late 1960s. I took inspiration from the picture of G-AXEE at the Paris Airshow in 1969, but referenced images of G-AWON on similar duties.

And if you're thinking all those rockets took a long time to paint and glue together, you'd be right.....

20261005_180513.JPG
 
And if you're thinking all those rockets took a long time to paint and glue together, you'd be right.....
I'm betting it took even longer to hand letter all that microscopic print on the sign. :D
Display does look 'very airshow'.
Man, with those 8 rocket pods it could unload quite a wall of those FFAR.
 
And something else I've been on & off for a little over 2 years; A diorama of BAC's own "What If?", the Lightning F.53 Multi-role export variant as seen at airshows in the late 1960s.
Love this style of Diorama.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
And something else I've been on & off for a little over 2 years; A diorama of BAC's own "What If?", the Lightning F.53 Multi-role export variant as seen at airshows in the late 1960s. I took inspiration from the picture of G-AXEE at the Paris Airshow in 1969, but referenced images of G-AWON on similar duties.

And if you're thinking all those rockets took a long time to paint and glue together, you'd be right.....

View attachment 825411

Wait, they really wanted to put rocket pods like this, inverted and overwing ? I knew about AAMs, but this sounds a little crazy. What were the probabilities of one rocket amid a dozen, going astray and hitting the plane ?
 
Pass, how the airflow upwards over the wing would affect things is not my area of expertise. But I do know that when testing the Microcell rocket pack under the nose (it was an optional fit on the F.1) they had to change the ripple salvo sequence because rockets were colliding with each other just in front of the aircraft and shooting off in all directions.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top Bottom