Some Aerospace Fun and Humor

Status
Not open for further replies.
GHKeb3dWsAAZF_j

flying in 737MAX ?
hell NO !
it take my chances with that Plane in middle...
GH2A3IiXEAAtqh6
Oh my, that prominent rotund feature on the port side of that particular vessel in the center of the picture sure looks like a mighty big unused door plug - let's hope that won't just pop off like a champagne cork under internal outside interstellar space vacuum overpressure...

Last edited:
Last edited:
Ah yes, the unadulterated (pre)pubescent male idolation of ahole (most definitely not a Hawaiian term, to avoid any potential confusion) jerk characters on popular visual media -

Not just generic jerks, but jerk who are *right* in both senses. Jerks who are wrong are forgotten. Jerks who are correct but who are villains are generally forgotten. Jerks who are on the right side *and* who have the correct answers, they're justly remembered.

Dr. House was a jerk on the side of right *and* was usually right.

Not just generic jerks, but jerk who are *right* in both senses. Jerks who are wrong are forgotten. Jerks who are correct but who are villains are generally forgotten. Jerks who are on the right side *and* who have the correct answers, they're justly remembered.

Dr. House was a jerk on the side of right *and* was usually right.
Alright, I'll play (without ever having watched a single episode of House, because I don't consider medical malady dramas as a source of entertainment - why did he have to be a jerk in the first place? That kind of behavior typically signals a lack of psychological self control - not a character trait you would want to see in a medical care giver). Whatever happened to basic decency? And as a potential psychological scientific study, in how far might that FOX show wittingly or unwittingly have paved at least part of the road for a certain past president who shall not be named? Whatever happened to "be compassionate and kind to one another" bedside manners?

Alright, I'll play (without ever having watched a single episode of House, because I don't consider medical malady dramas as a source of entertainment - why did he have to be a jerk in the first place? That kind of behavior typically signals a lack of psychological self control - not a character trait you would want to see in a medical care giver). Whatever happened to basic decency? And as a potential psychological scientific study, in how far might that FOX show wittingly or unwittingly have paved at least part of the road for a certain past president who shall not be named? Whatever happened to "be compassionate and kind to one another" bedside manners?
It's one thing to say you don't like something, which is absolutely fair game, but it's quite disrespectful coming up with a label without even having ever watched a single episode.

The show is about human beings. Take a look around yourself: do you see many people with great self control? I guess the answer would be no.

House is the perfect medic, but does that make him a perfect individual? Absolutely not. He's not a role model and the show is quite clear in reminding the audience of that at many points throughout the series.
He's an addict to painkillers due to a botched operation and subsequent medical condition, he's a fragile person, from whom the characters in the show (and the spectators) expect much better of.
He acts like a child, despite his diagnostical talents and genius. The only solace he has, is in his job.

We follow him in his quest to learn how to become a better person, capable of accepting his pain. Not just the one that he feels due to his maimed leg, but the pain of life. Moral of the story is, we are all broken, we are all in pain.
It doesn't really matter if you are perfect at your day to day job, how much talent you have, etc.. You should strive to be a more kind person and recognize and accept the pain you and the people around you go through.

Is Goethe's Faust a role model? I would argue that he's a jerk, albeit a successful one.
Does it mean people act like him or should act like him? I highly doubt it.
There's plenty of such examples in literature. Is Sherlock Holmes a role model? He's pretty much the character House is based off, you know...
Ever heard of the antihero trope?

If people take fictional characters as role models, that speaks more of an issue those people have within themselves than in the quality of a TV show, or a book. And same goes if they do not recognize that it's not the role of the TV to educate them.

I don't want to talk politics, but Dr. House is a good show. You may not like it, and it's fully in your right to do so, but throwing shade at something because you don't understand (and don't even put an effort into trying to understand) makes you look like the one who has the charateristics you are blaiming on the main character of said show.

Also, if you think that people in the medical profession are all kind and angelic individuals, driven by the pure love of their fellow men, I can assure you after 12 years spent in the field, that it's not the case. Life is more complicated, more black and white and all shades of grey in between than that, because we are all imperfect and broken in our own ways.

Over and out.

Some people are naturally jerks, but that doesn't mean they're Bad Guys. House, Sherlock Holmes, Spock are all of a kind: they know right from wrong and generally try to be on the side of right, but they *suck* at "bedside manner." There are a great many real people in the real world much the same, though the hyper-competence of the fictional characters is of course rare. In reality you can get people like General Patton: very competent, a pain in the ass to deal with.

Dr. House did not *need* any sort of bedside manner: he typically didn't deal with the patients face-to-face. He was a diagnostician who could generally suss out the problem and come up with a solution from his office. And in that context, I'd *far* prefer a doc who could figure out my ailment and cure it with a snarl and a cutting remark, than the nicest doc who couldn't find his ass with both hands and a flashlight.

The world of engineering is filled with people much like that, Terrible at dealing with personalities and politics, excellent at designing, fixing, inventing. We need far more of these kinds.

And of course, sometimes the compassionate approach is the brutal one.

And on the other side... of all the character in the Marvel movies, who is more downright *fun* to watch than Loki? He's a genocidal power mad monster, but he's a blast. Probably next most charismatic would be Tony Stark; who will step all over the Little People to get what he wants, pump&dump the hotties, and blow off functions that the other characters think important in order to gamble or get drunk. He's a *jerk.* He's also the greatest hero in the MCU, and generally fun to watch.

I don't see how Dr. house led the way to President Obama, the worst president in American history since LBJ. Unlike Tony Stark or Patton or Spock, though, Obama was hardly a jerk-as-good-guy, but rather a smiling Bond villain.

We follow him in his quest to learn how to become a better person,

I don't really think that was ever his quest. He took a stab at it from time to time but almost inevitably failed and slid backwards.

If people take fictional characters as role models, that speaks more of an issue those people have within themselves than in the quality of a TV show, or a book.

Disagree. any fictional characters make *great* role models. Those characters who embody some trait or other - courage, inventiveness, logic, etc. - can be iconic and archetypal. Heck, many people take as their role models the fictional characters from religious texts.

Also, if you think that people in the medical profession are all kind and angelic individuals, driven by the pure love of their fellow men, I can assure you after 12 years spent in the field, that it's not the case.

I don't really think that was ever his quest. He took a stab at it from time to time but almost inevitably failed and slid backwards.
I suspect that's your point of view due to the fact that you are, by formation, an engineer.
You start from point A where there is a problem, seek a solution, and implement one until you successfully reach point B.
To an analytical mind every problem can be fixed.
So if you don't reach your desired outcome, it's either a failure or it wasn't really your target from the start.

But life itself is not something where you can fix everything. Things are logical and follow reason, people usually don't.
A well-adjusted person needs to learn how to live with this limitation.

At the 2 extremes of this parable, there is people with depression on one side (where the belief is that nothing can be done) and people with a God complex on the other one (who believe they can achieve anything and everything).
And who could have guessed? Doctors are usually accused of suffering from this complex, so maybe Dr. House's character is also a stereotype based on reality, besides being an antihero.

I believe House's struggle is his quest. He doesn't necessarily become a better person. That's not a point B that can be reached and where one can sit down and take for granted, proudly proclaiming to the world "Ah-Ah! I've become a better person!".
There are always mistakes, falls, days that are good and days that are terrible.
Highs and lows. It's how life goes.
But at least he strives to become a better person, to feel better, to feel less pain. Even if he's not successful. For sure we can agree that he's not the same Dr. House we first saw at the start of the series.

Disagree. any fictional characters make *great* role models. Those characters who embody some trait or other - courage, inventiveness, logic, etc. - can be iconic and archetypal. Heck, many people take as their role models the fictional characters from religious texts.
Positive traits are a good thing.
Inspiration is also a very good thing, when it drives people to do better.
But basing one's personality on a fictional character (or a celebrity for that matter), without the ability of making a distinction between what's real and what's not, is just going to lead to more hurt.
We can be brave, but we are not superheroes.
We can be smart, but we can't fix everything.
We can be logical, but we should still give ourselves the benefit of nor understanding everything.

And in the meantime, while each of us tries to go for whatever we want to go for in life, we should try to treat each other with kindness.
Which doesn't mean we have to become kind, but at least, like House, we should make an attempt to better ourselves.

At least that's how I would like to think.

I would like to remind posters here that this thread is dedicated to humor...
Yes? Ain't nothing funnier than human nature.

And "House" was friggen' hilarious. An aerospace take on it, with Dr House being instead a rocket/nuclear scientist leading a team to develop, say, a fission-free nuclear pulse unit over a span of five to seven seasons, eventually leading to the launch of a 4,000 ton Orion from a desert site where he'd tricked a few thousand antinuke protestors to get a bit too close, would seem to be wholly in character, appropriate and entertaining as hell.

"See you on Titan, Chump!" BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM....

Last edited:
I suspect that's your point of view due to the fact that you are, by formation, an engineer.
You start from point A where there is a problem, seek a solution, and implement one until you successfully reach point B.
To an analytical mind every problem can be fixed.
So if you don't reach your desired outcome, it's either a failure or it wasn't really your target from the start.

Thing is: Dr. House was satisfied with what and who he was. He would have ditched the pain in his leg if he could (and he tried), but I never really saw him try to fundamentally change his personality except either to scam the system or get something from someone. The few times when he seemed to become a "better person" were temporary.

But at least he strives to become a better person, to feel better, to feel less pain.

Darth Vader doubtless wanted to feel less pain too, but he was hardly on a quest to "be a better person." Same with House, except House was always basically a good guy with bad people skills and a hell of a sense of humor.

Even if he's not successful. For sure we can agree that he's not the same Dr. House we first saw at the start of the series.

Pretty sure he was. He was due to spend a good long time in prison and faked his death to avoid that. Sure, he decided to give his best friend a few good months, but skipping out on prison was something he doubtless wanted. He saw paining the few people who cared about him as a fantastic joke.

And in the meantime, while each of us tries to go for whatever we want to go for in life, we should try to treat each other with kindness.

Nah, screw that noise. It's a hell of a lot more fun to treat *some* people with mind-snapping cruelty.

It's one thing to say you don't like something, which is absolutely fair game, but it's quite disrespectful coming up with a label without even having ever watched a single episode.
I have watched some episodes, at first I kept watching because Hugh Laurie showed a very convincing flawed character who happened to be technically brilliant, but socially inept.
That led to some grating confrontations, sometimes solved by the actions of a benign superior and/or an equally benign colleague. Sometimes not solved at all. What turned me off, was that many episodes were pretty formulaic, with the main characters unable or unwilling to learn. Or leave! As realistic as those situations can be, after watching a dozen or more episodes of the same, my attitude towards those characters could increasingly be summed up by 'stop wallowing in your grief' - but if that had happened, the series' USP would have suffered -> a decline in audience -> less revenue for the network. Alternatively, you plan for closure to the story, allow for character development, as happened in Breaking Bad or The Sopranos. Maybe House was a changed man in the end, but by then I had long left the audience.

My day job is computer programming. I have come across people who, like House, were technically brilliant and bastards to work with. If I could not find a way to reach an understanding with one of those - which usually meant both of us accomodating to the other - I would leave. No point in staying in a bad place.

Engineers and programmers have a reputation, deservedly or not, for being socially inept introverts. I have found social skills to be essential in my day job, because my day job ALWAYS involves team work.

Last edited:
From forum rules:
Political, religious and nationalistic topics are strongly discouraged. Specific areas to avoid include your views on specific politicians and parties, Brexit, commentry about immigration, "SJWs" and "woke", antifa, Black Lives Matter, far-right politics and other social/political commentary. You are welcome to have opinions on all these subjects, but they are generally unrelated to the forum core subjects and your posts may be edited or deleted without warning for violations.

Some warning signs for our current civilisation.

Attachments

• 264112998_ba1684ccc0.jpg
    264112998_ba1684ccc0.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 264113000_4fa87e4ea6.jpg
    264113000_4fa87e4ea6.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 264113001_f1ed3fb11e.jpg
    264113001_f1ed3fb11e.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 264116790_4fb7f138e3_m.jpg
    264116790_4fb7f138e3_m.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 264116792_3d3d528219.jpg
    264116792_3d3d528219.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 264116796_35e8541107.jpg
    264116796_35e8541107.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 264120053_9278ad221e.jpg
    264120053_9278ad221e.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 264120060_2182c32691.jpg
    264120060_2182c32691.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 12
And when you're out driving, stay in your car when you see this.

Attachments

• cthulhuwarn.thumbnail.png
    cthulhuwarn.thumbnail.png
    147.8 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: GTX
Status
Not open for further replies.