• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Solid State Laser News

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score

Ronny

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Double posting from US UCAV thread:
Working as part of a layered approach to counter-drone defense, MORFIUS units will be launched at hostile drones, or drone swarms, and then disable them in close proximity, with potentially a gigawatt of microwave power — or, as Lockheed put it, a million times the power of a standard 1,000-watt microwave oven.
Damm that pretty cool

Josh_TN

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I still don't see how they can power an effective HPM in such a small device, even with a close range effect. Surely it must have to be charged ahead of time; I can't see that tiny engine providing the power in a timely fashion.

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
Something along the lines of a explosively pumped generator perhaps? I wonder if there is any connection to this 2010s U.S. Army EMP grenade project.

The Army is requiring companies participating in the project to design their prototypes to fit the size of "hand or robot delivered munitions, 40 mm grenades, Rocket Propelled Grenades (RPGs), and Stinger, Hydra, and Javelin missiles." The next step is figuring out a working design itself.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Static discharge. That what I proposed long ago (2014) and it should work.
Pre-launch, the charge is passed from the launcher battery to the CUAS and stored in a capacitor (can be structural).
The discharge time from losses is made superior to the vehicle flight time (this is an interceptor).
Charging the battery can be done using the ICE engine of the towing vehicle.

bobbymike

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score