SNCAC (Aerocentre) VTOL designs

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Triggered by Stargazers great work in the designations sections (and elsewhere !), I've squeezed the
search function, but it seems to me, that the following designs weren't covered here still yet. If I've
missed something, just give me a clue, please.

Main source for the three VTOL designs was the book "Les Giravions" by N.-F. Navard, which was discovered
by our forum member boxkite several years ago. The first design, "Projet A", was a tailsitter with a single large
rotoprop, probably tip driven as no means of torque control is visible.
"Projet B" was a tilt rotor design. No data were mentioned and the drawings in the book were quite basic, so
details like cockpit and landing gear were largely guesswork, based on an expected "family likeness" with other
SNCAC types like the NC.1070/1071.
A little bit more information was given for "Projet C", a tail sitter somewhat resembling the Focke Wulf Triebflügel,
but with the wings fixed in horizontal position for cruising flight : Weight about 3 tons (no mention if empty or gross
weight), range/duration 2000km/4 hours with a speed of 580 km/h, or 500 km with a speed of 800 km/h and a maximum
climb of 30m/s with reheat.

No exact time for those designs is given, but as the book was published in 1955, I think the early fifties are reasonable.

Attachments

• SNCAC_Typ-A.gif
    SNCAC_Typ-A.gif
    86.7 KB · Views: 346
  • SNCAC_Typ-B.gif
    SNCAC_Typ-B.gif
    132.3 KB · Views: 335
  • SNCAC_Typ-C.gif
    SNCAC_Typ-C.gif
    66.6 KB · Views: 329