Italian Helicopter Manufacturer Martinis

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
In Der Flieger, July 1966, a helicopter built by the Italian company Martinis is mentioned and
shown with a single photo, from what certainly was an exhibition or air show.
Designated as R-66, it was powered by a Continental O-300D, empty weight 360 kg,
take-off weigt of 610 kg, max. speed 175 km/h, cruising speed 160 km/h and
a range of 350 km.
Haven't found this manufacturer anywhere else, neither via Google, nor in Stingrays very
comprehensive list. Maybe it was known by another name ?

Attachments

• Martinis_R-66.jpg
    Martinis_R-66.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 195
Hi Jemiba, nice find :)
From my notes as see it was built by Marinis SrL and a design of Mr. G. Martinis. Intended for both civil and military (AOP etc.) use. Planned higher powered version (215hp) not built.
It was possibly also known as the HR-68 Helicar. First fight date is given as 22 December 1967.
Attached another pic. Caption R-66 is wrong, should be R-68

Attachments

• Martinis R-66.doc
    798.5 KB · Views: 30
Very nice. The R-66 and R-68 apparently look quite different from each other, but I could be wrong.

Great find my dear Jemiba,

and for Walter,the R-68 is new for me.

Always thought the forum was for solving problems, not creating them :eek:

Quite possible that the (short lived??) Martinis company created two helis, the R-66 and (H)R-68.
OTH, maybe it is be the same aircraft as both are quoted to have a RR/Continental O-300D and performance is very similar. And the time frame also seems very identical. Could it be that in the picture of the aircraft in the wild it has a streamlined/covered rear fuselage section and tail fins added?
To keep one aircraft hidden is quite ingenious, but two???

Hard to tell, the shape of the canopies is different to my opinion, the "R-68" seems to have
a pronounced hump. About the rear fuselage I'm not sure, just about the added fins.
Could well have been the first variant just modified.

Back
Top Bottom