Small UAS / Drones and related general thread - NOT Swarming ones.

“For electronic countermeasures, that (miniaturizing) tradeoff is usually seen in the total output power of the system where smaller may indicate its less effective range and the need to get in closer,” he explains. However, in a drone-on-drone scenario, such as with the DroneHunter or similar systems, that tradeoff of an electronic warfare payload might be acceptable because the engagement happens at close range anyway.

Countering swarms w/ non expendable armed swarms would be a better way to explore as well as counter launch site measures.

As far as giving the poor guys in the infantry some ability to fight back against small drones before support from other assets (like other drones) can arrive I wonder if an airburst weapon similar to the XM25 could be adapted to be effective at the role. If it had the right fire control system that could estimate where to lead the target and put a grenade close enough to disable it.

The other obvious answer is the sort of handheld jamming systems like those described in that c4isrnet article and I hope they're as successful as claimed but some overlapping capabilities never hurt.

Of course there is the eternal problem of how to carry all of this stuff an infantry squad might need.

As far as giving the poor guys in the infantry some ability to fight back against small drones before support from other assets (like other drones) can arrive I wonder if an airburst weapon similar to the XM25 could be adapted to be effective at the role. If it had the right fire control system that could estimate where to lead the target and put a grenade close enough to disable it.

The other obvious answer is the sort of handheld jamming systems like those described in that c4isrnet article and I hope they're as successful as claimed but some overlapping capabilities never hurt.

Of course there is the eternal problem of how to carry all of this stuff an infantry squad might need.

problems is the dismount units can not carry enough on their own to counter armed swarms from every direction and as the article poses handheld jammers are not going to effective enough until it is too later ands ur deAD.

CyberLux K8 UAS

Switchblade 600 UAS

TypeTargets
Anti-armor loitering munitiontanks and armored vehicles
Country usersWeight System
United States and Ukraine54.5 kg
Designer CountryEndurance
United States20 minutes
WarheadRange
Anti-armor warhead based on Javelin anti-tank missile40 km
OperatorDimensions
1Length: 1.3 m airframe

Altius-600 UAS

Performance of ALTIUS-600 small UAS​

The unmanned aerial vehicle is driven by a two-blade propeller mounted at the rear of the drone in pusher configuration. The cruising and maximum speeds of the ALTIUS-600 drone are 60k and 90k, respectively. The UAS has a range of 440km and can execute missions for up to four hours.

Jump 20 UAS

The JUMP 20 is a vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL), fixed-wing unmanned aircraft used to provide advanced multi-sensor intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR) services. Delivering 14+ hours of endurance and an operational range of 185 km (115 mi), the JUMP 20 is ideal for multi-mission operations. Runway independent, the system can be set up and operational in less than 60 minutes without the need for launch or recovery equipment. With a useable payload capacity of up to 30 pounds, the JUMP 20 offers flexible payload options utilizing industry leading imaging sensors such as ARCAM 45D, long range EO/MWIR as well as onboard tracking, stabilization and video processing. In addition to the multi-mission payload bay and superior optics, the JUMP 20 features a common autopilot and ground control system architecture providing a highly customizable, modular platform which can be custom-configured to meet operational or customer requirements.

Counter-UAS and electronic warfare detection equipment

Last edited:
You have to factor the biological strain that comes with that: how many Hawk for each mission? How many hours per day on alert duty? How big needs to be your Falconer crew to be 24/7 on the field. How long does it take to raise and train a Falcon? What is the size of the sustainment logistics?

This is why there are no horses in the infantry anymore. No elephants. No flesh ripping tigers. There are no existing industry that use horses and alikes en-masses to support any military mission on a cost effective manner.

Falconery is not an industry. It's a craft art.

As you know, drones became available to the military on a large scale as there was an existing large demand in the civilian world to sustain at first a non-military industrial base. They are cheap, fast and easy to build on opposite to a trained bird that probably requests a couple of year to reach any operational units, with all the manpower cost that comes with it.

There was much irony in the American press about the alleged balance of cost in the balloon shot down. Imagine what it would be with a Chinese quadcopter brought down by an elite bird that costed 300 000$ in total to reach that point.

... And that until Iran and Russia send some (stray) Tomcats behind Ukrainian lines.

1677325387792.jpeg

1677325617892.jpeg
(Img: counter-counter UAS Falcon early prototyping and experiment)

Last edited:

CyberLux K8 UAS

Switchblade 600 UAS

TypeTargets
Anti-armor loitering munitiontanks and armored vehicles
Country usersWeight System
United States and Ukraine54.5 kg
Designer CountryEndurance
United States20 minutes
WarheadRange
Anti-armor warhead based on Javelin anti-tank missile40 km
OperatorDimensions
1Length: 1.3 m airframe

Altius-600 UAS

Performance of ALTIUS-600 small UAS​

The unmanned aerial vehicle is driven by a two-blade propeller mounted at the rear of the drone in pusher configuration. The cruising and maximum speeds of the ALTIUS-600 drone are 60k and 90k, respectively. The UAS has a range of 440km and can execute missions for up to four hours.

Jump 20 UAS

The JUMP 20 is a vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL), fixed-wing unmanned aircraft used to provide advanced multi-sensor intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR) services. Delivering 14+ hours of endurance and an operational range of 185 km (115 mi), the JUMP 20 is ideal for multi-mission operations. Runway independent, the system can be set up and operational in less than 60 minutes without the need for launch or recovery equipment. With a useable payload capacity of up to 30 pounds, the JUMP 20 offers flexible payload options utilizing industry leading imaging sensors such as ARCAM 45D, long range EO/MWIR as well as onboard tracking, stabilization and video processing. In addition to the multi-mission payload bay and superior optics, the JUMP 20 features a common autopilot and ground control system architecture providing a highly customizable, modular platform which can be custom-configured to meet operational or customer requirements.

Counter-UAS and electronic warfare detection equipment
Speaking of range:
I would assume most (all?) of those small UAS feature LoS data links. Hence, range is typically limited to 200 km. The vehicle's height above ground necessary to maintain data link at this range is another factor to consider. Typically 12000 ft @ 200km. Is the EO/IR payload performance of a small UAS satisfactory at this altitude? I doubt it.

Speaking of range:
I would assume most (all?) of those small UAS feature LoS data links. Hence, range is typically limited to 200 km. The vehicle's height above ground necessary to maintain data link at this range is another factor to consider. Typically 12000 ft @ 200km. Is the EO/IR payload performance of a small UAS satisfactory at this altitude? I doubt it.
On the Altius-600:

The UAS’ flight can be manually controlled by its operator with a handheld remote control system or pre-programmed by a ground control station to operate autonomously by following a series of waypoints.

It also appears to have been aircraft integrated, so could be controlled via a third party aircraft providing a comms link.

ALTIUS-600 has demonstrated successful integration and launch from C-130A, AC-130J, UH-60, P-3, civilian aircraft, ground vehicles, and others.

How can it be possible to fly a slow quadcopter for more than a mile inside a military base, hosting strategic military assets, one year after the start of the war?!
I am flabbergasted.

Definitely, despite what Russian newspapers can write, WWII legendary Soviet fighting spirit lies in... Kiev.
The rallying cry of every Russians that knows about History should be: "Zelensky for President".

Last edited:
How can it be possible to fly a slow quadcopter for more than a mile inside a military base, hosting strategic military assets, one year after the start of the war?!
I am flabbergasted.

Definitely, despite what Russian newspapers can write, WWII legendary Soviet fighting spirit lies in... Kiev.
The rallying cry of every Russians that knows about History should be: "Zelensky for President".
Hell, I'll bet China does the same right now in the US.

I am flabbergasted.

It gets worse, this is the second part of the video.

View: https://twitter.com/Hajun_BY/status/1631302348172668928?s=20

I am flabbergasted.

It's Belarus

“The MQ-9Bs currently slated for AFSOC will not be used operationally. They will be used to rapidly pathfind A2E concepts and technologies, planned to include sUAS and autonomy integration, beginning in calendar year 2024.”

Hopefully they learn that most swarm UAS (except lng rg S/DEAD which could be expendable as range is paramount) needs to be multi-shot/munition capable and at least have a 'fly back to a safe area' option is it can be recovered and reused.

Well THAT doesn't look like a MAVIC drone.
View attachment 697326

No, but I've seen that construction style before. Basically laser/cnc cut flat metal sheets sandwiching the working parts, with stock tubing/angle braces for the rotor booms and landing legs. The bombs are PTAB-2.5 bomblets, roughly 70mm diameter and 2.5 kg each. Just the sort of thing you can make from available bits in a simple workshop.

Well THAT doesn't look like a MAVIC drone.
View attachment 697326

No, but I've seen that construction style before. Basically laser/cnc cut flat metal sheets sandwiching the working parts, with stock tubing/angle braces for the rotor booms and landing legs. The bombs are PTAB-2.5 bomblets, roughly 70mm diameter and 2.5 kg each. Just the sort of thing you can make from available bits in a simple workshop.
I didn't mean it as crticism. Just my way of saying they aren't playing with repurposed hobby drones anymore.