Jason Dykstra (Wyvern)

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Before getting into this post, I have searched to the best of my abilities to see whether there was a thread dedicated to this type and found nothing. If there is one that I didn't see, I ask the moderators to merge this with that thread. I also realise that this helicopter has had posts made about it already, but I am of the opinion that a dedicated thread could help.

Now, on with my post. The Chinese, with their ever expanding economy, and need to build and transport items around their vast country, have unique needs when it comes to helicopters. What they need, is a helicopter that could carry large loads, mostly slung, over large distances. The Chinese already have experience building large rotorcraft, like the Avicopter AC313, a variant of the Z-8, itself a variant of the Super Frelon. The Russians have an unbeaten track-record when it comes to large rotorcraft, and have been building the biggest and toughest machines since the late 1950's. Therefore, it seems to be a match made in heaven, at least, in theory.

The rotorcraft shown below is known as the Advanced Heavy Lifter, which features a takeoff weight of 38.2 tons, a top speed of 300km/h, a range of 630km and a ceiling of 5,700m. This last point is intriguing, as it shows the requirements that the Chinese need, and shows where it is intended to operate; in China's mountainous regions.
On display at the Tianjin International Helicopter Exhibition, the chopper is specially designed to suit China's geographical conditions, and can operate smoothly at high altitudes and temperatures, said Huang Chuanyue, deputy chief engineer with the helicopter division of the Aviation Industry Corp. of China.

With a maximum cruising speed of 300 km/h, and the ability to take-off carrying 38.2 tonnes, it can carry excavators, cargo containers and light tactical vehicles, Huang told Xinhua.

China and Russia on May 8 signed a framework agreement agreeing to take the project to the next stage, which specified that all future models will be manufactured in China, Huang said.

These heavy-duty helicopters will be used in rescue and disaster missions, as well as maritime affairs, Huang said.
This is an extract taken from an article below. Photos have also been taken from the article below:

Fellow member Deino has already covered this helicopter in this thread:

Wyvern

Attachments

• Sino-Russo Heavy Lift Helicopter.jpg
    Sino-Russo Heavy Lift Helicopter.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 117
  • Sino-Russo Heavy Lift Helicopter comparison.jpg
    Sino-Russo Heavy Lift Helicopter comparison.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 123
  • Sino-Russo Heavy Lift Helicopter details.jpg
    Sino-Russo Heavy Lift Helicopter details.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 114