Sikorsky X2 family

yasotay said:
Perhaps, I am just curious why the European member of the 609 team is banging on the gate with the program and Bell's position appears to be lackluster "small market" "other priority" messages. I suspect there is more to the deal than just market share.

Back on X-2 it would appear that the Russian design houses (the ones still in Russia) agree with Sikorsky on the viability of the compound.

Probably because Bell's management seems to have been in chaos the past few years. A whole bunch of seemingly wrong calls in the conventional rotorcraft arena is taking up all their time. Bell may even end up having their contract for the ARH-70 canceled because of their performance. It also doesn't help that Bell has hired a senior executive who has openly been a long-term critic of Tilt-Rotor.

Many organizations believe that a compound helicopter should be viable. That's one of the reasons for the existence of the ABC concept, to allow compounds to be more efficient by getting around rotor drag, roll tendency and retreating blade stall. Problem is, so far it hasn't turned out to be demonstrably practical

I think Sikorsky has bitten off more than they can chew on the engineering front, with UH-60M, the CH-148 - to all intents and purposes a new helicopter - and CH-53K, likewise.

Now add the fact that you're trying to hire engineers into a stockbroker neighborhood. And the historical fact that engineering workload/opportunities/employment at helo companies has been up and down over the years. If you're in Texas or Mesa, do you really want to jump into the Connecticut housing market?

If the CH-53K comes in on time I will be surprised.

LowObservable said:
I think Sikorsky has bitten off more than they can chew on the engineering front, with UH-60M, the CH-148 - to all intents and purposes a new helicopter - and CH-53K, likewise.

Now add the fact that you're trying to hire engineers into a stockbroker neighborhood. And the historical fact that engineering workload/opportunities/employment at helo companies has been up and down over the years. If you're in Texas or Mesa, do you really want to jump into the Connecticut housing market?

If the CH-53K comes in on time I will be surprised.

Very good point. I had a senior engineer from Bell tell me last year that it takes about ten years to make a good rotorcraft engineer, and that the lack of new work has made it very difficult for the primes to recruit "new blood". The shuffling of senior management that F-14D brings up, compounds the issue I suspect. I find it concerning that the Europeans, Russians and to a small extent even the Chinese seem to be more aggressive with new capabilities than the US. It seems the US is having a difficult time just modifying existing aircraft (although the point regarding the 53K is well taken).

The (very slow) "Countdown to First Flight" continues...

In an interview given at Farnborough, the manager of Advanced Programs at Sikorsky unequivocally stated that first flight is, "...within arm's reach...". It appears to be a very long arm, though, since he also said, "...that is months, less than 12, but may not be before the end of the year". That would make first flight three years late. Given how many predicted first flight dates they've missed, this seems to indicate there have been serious problems with the concept/aircraft. His explanation has been weather conditions, hydraulic leaks and "normal" issues.

He also revealed that there will be only one demonstrator and there will be four phases to increase demonstrated speed. The first phase will be at Elmira New York, while the last three will be in Florida at West Palm Beach. It will be intersting to see whether the X2 flies there or gets shipped by train, which is what they had to do with the XH-59 whenever they wanted it to travel any distance. Interstingly, phase four is described as 'beyond 180 knots', but apparently is not explicitly guaranteeing they are going to demonstrate the promised sustained 250 knot cruise.

I still wonder if Boeing is paying them to make the 787 delays look good. It's possible, though, that this could be a ruse. Maybe they'll actually fly it in a couple of months, hoping that people will react positively that it flew ahead of schedule, forgetting this would still be 2 3/4 years late. But maybe I'm too suspicious...

Hope it works, but I'm still having my doubts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emDlELmXV-I

It flies! Finally!

Attachments

• x2frstflt.jpg
    x2frstflt.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,266
Kudo's to Sikorsky for having the brass balls to go it alone in an age of rotorcraft timidity in the US.

They've now got a second flight under their belts, don't know about a third.

Here's a different view of the attack concept. I can't see USMC having any interest since Tilt-Rotor is so far ahead and this offers no significant advantages I can see, even if it works.

Actually, Compound helicopters offer you about 75% of the performance speed-wise of a tilt-rotor; without a lot of the pressing issues, and at significantly lower costs; e.g. about IIRC $30 million for a compound helicopter with about 75% of the performance of a $100+ million V-22.

Yeah, but my impression lately is that it's more of a range/endurance issue than speed. 300kts vs. 250kts doesn't make a heck of a lot of difference in terms of who you can and cannot engage or disengage, whereas this recent OMG LITTORAL!!!!1 focus should serve as a reminder that the Marines want to go as far past the beach as they can.

The hub of a helo is just not going to go away; if you really want range, I think you're going to be hard-pressed to beat a tilt-rotor/wing in that role for the foreseeable future.

Howedar said:
Yeah, but my impression lately is that it's more of a range/endurance issue than speed. 300kts vs. 250kts doesn't make a heck of a lot of difference in terms of who you can and cannot engage or disengage, whereas this recent OMG LITTORAL!!!!1 focus should serve as a reminder that the Marines want to go as far past the beach as they can.

The hub of a helo is just not going to go away; if you really want range, I think you're going to be hard-pressed to beat a tilt-rotor/wing in that role for the foreseeable future.

Range is a critical factor as smaller ground forces units have to occupy larger spaces. Look at Afghanistan. Bigger than the old Federal Republic of Germany and instead of 20+ divisions of troops and hundreds (likely over a thousand if you count ready reserve) packed in, you have maybe two divisions to cover a far larger area, with an order of magnitude less infrastructure. This will likely continue to occur for the foreseeable future. As your distances increase speed does become a factor (ask any soldier how long they want to wait for air support or MEDEVAC when they are in contact). Also speed implies that you are able to operate the air vehicle for less time for a given mission and therefore, all things being equal, your maintennance burden is less for larger areas of action (as in fewer blade hours per mission).

I do not think it will be a matter of which one is best period, but which one does the mission best. So if yasotay was the king of acquistion for a day, attack vehicle would be a Tilt Rotor (same reason as the Cobra: faster than the lift rotorcraft, probably more endurance). The Assault aircraft probably a rotorcraft with the best hover efficiency as they do more of that when they are not doing assault, but still needs to be able to go longer distances faster and more efficiently than a conventional rotorcraft of todays standard. Likewise the venerable cargo aircraft would be able to hover and do slingloads. Heavy lift (moving armored vehciles) I would have to go with Tilt Rotor because the distances we want to cover are far greater than we have done with rotorcraft in the past and the loads are getting to the point that conventional rotors are so big you need a semi-trailer and a construction crane to do maintennance. This aircraft will not only change maneuver, but will be a critical component of logistics over large amounts of terrain. In this case speed is a component of efficiency (If speed of delivery is not a factor, why is FEDEX, etc., using expensive large jets?)This is of course a very ground war centric discussion. I imagine that there are likely valid seabourne missions for different rotorcraft types as well.

I think that there will be conventional helicopters for quite a while, but they will slowly be superseded by compound helicopters. Tilt Rotors will continue to expand in capabilities and utilization, but not at the explosive rate that we all thought ten to fifteen years ago. There is no overall best for rotorcraft as these technologies expand.

Please don't waste our time with Tilt Rotor Propaganda.

If you actually study the capabilities of Tilt Rotor; they're woefully deficient for the amount of money that's been spent on them.

You can only achieve the maximum speed stated by them with an internal load. If you want to carry an external sling load, maximum economic cruise speed for the V-22 is 130 kts. The CH-47D's max economic cruise speed is...100 knots.

Lots of other things have been bad for the V-22. The original Goal for V-22A called for 15,000 lb slingload, but during the 2005 OPEVAL II, it could only slingload a 7,200 lb weight. Same thing for Internal/Empty Cruise speed. The original V-22A specs were for 300 kts; it only hit about 240 kts.

Basically, the Marines have been selling the V-22 and Tilt-Rotor technology by comparing it to the CH-46 Sea Knight; making it seem like a huge quantum leap; but when you compare it to existing rotorcraft, like the UH-60L; it isn't that hot.

A while back I did a spreadsheet of how long it would take in hours to sling load 100,000 pounds externally; and the following assumptions were made:

Based on the AVERAGE speeds of the aircraft, for example, the V-22A flies to shore with an external load limiting it's cruise speed to 130 kts, but makes up by flying back to the ship at 240 kt cruise empty, giving it an average cruise speed of 185 kts.

Round trip assumptions are as before, e.g. each complete roundtrip has half an hour added to it; due to murphy, refuelling, etc. You can see how the V-22A barely edges out a UH-60L; but it costs like $100+ million, while the UH-60L is what; $6 million. Is that little extra edge worth the huge cost?

Attachments

• V-22Comparison2.gif
    V-22Comparison2.gif
    12 KB · Views: 156
RyanCrierie said:
Is that little extra edge worth the huge cost?

Yes. Combat lift guy, with two mis-adventures (and UH-60 aviator) won't waste your time.

Question for you. If speed is not so important... why is virtually every design house around the world working on high speed rotorcraft? Why would the outgoing leader of Army Aviation technology tell Mr. Trimble we need rotorcraft that go faster and farther?

(Please note the topic)

I'll let F-14D do the eloquent words.

yasotay said:
Question for you. If speed is not so important... why is virtually every design house around the world working on high speed rotorcraft?

Because Tilt-rotor has not proven itself worthy of the enormous amount of time and money poured into it at the behest of the US Marine Corps. So something has to fill the role; hence the increased interest in compound helicopters like the X2 or X-49A.

With a Compound Helo, you can get 83% of the speed of a V-22A for 30% of the cost. And there are a lot of creaky old helicopters that must be replaced. For $5 billion, you get either 50 V-22As or 160~ Compound Helos.

For special ops missions, the V-22A does make a good slot-in as a replacement for the MH-53; since you will not be flying external slung loads usually, and for special ops birds, price is not an object.

RyanCrierie said:
Because Tilt-rotor has not proven itself worthy of the enormous amount of time and money poured into it at the behest of the US Marine Corps.

Yes and the same exact things were said about the "Boeing Body Bag" a.k.a. CH-47A in the early 1960's. It was SO expensive that the Army had to reduce its capability requirement to afford the new technology. It was SO dangerous that some Army Aviators got out of the service in lieu of flying the death trap. I know one of them personally. In fact the Army killed more soldiers making the CH-47 the great helicopter it is, than Marines that have died with the V-22. There were fierce arguments that fixed wing aircraft were far less expensive and maintenance intensive as the new tandem rotor helicopter that the Army wanted at the time.

Same verbiage, different decade.

I think if you look at what I wrote there was just as much compound propaganda and tilt-rotor. If I held the purse, I would build X-planes with all of the potential technologies and let them compete for mission sets. There is no panacea “all in one” rotorcraft.

Frankly your compound myopia seems at least as blatant as any tilt-rotor propaganda I might have espoused. At least I remained open to all possibilities. I’m done with this as it is getting to close to a rant, which thankfully we have not had much of in this forum.

RyanCrierie said:
yasotay said:
Question for you. If speed is not so important... why is virtually every design house around the world working on high speed rotorcraft?

Because Tilt-rotor has not proven itself worthy of the enormous amount of time and money poured into it at the behest of the US Marine Corps. So something has to fill the role; hence the increased interest in compound helicopters like the X2 or X-49A.

With a Compound Helo, you can get 83% of the speed of a V-22A for 30% of the cost. And there are a lot of creaky old helicopters that must be replaced. For $5 billion, you get either 50 V-22As or 160~ Compound Helos.

For special ops missions, the V-22A does make a good slot-in as a replacement for the MH-53; since you will not be flying external slung loads usually, and for special ops birds, price is not an object.

Well, Lessee here, let's combine up a few posts

A couple o' days ago you said a compound had 75% of the speed of a Tilt-Rotor, now it's up to 83%, must have been a breakthrough yesterday that didn't make the news.

Regarding the speed, I've never seen a requirement for the V-22 to cruise @ 300 knots, so I don't think anyone's too worried that it can't. It actually has demonstrated that it exceeds the cruise speed requirement (sustained 275 knots, promise was 250, original requirement was lower than that)

Regarding external loads, for the last 10 years V-22 has consistently demonstrated the ability to carry 10,000 lbs. externally at up to 220 knots sustained. Problem is, while that does wonders for the V-22, it isn't too good for a lot of equipment carried externally (How do you quickly secure something for a 407 km/h wind? By the time you set all that up, you've lost the advantage of going that fast). Yes, it's true that a V-22 can only hit its maximum cruise with an internal load, but isn't that kinda true for any rotorcraft? This seems a bit of spin. Some rotorcraft don't travel all that much faster "clean" than they do "dirty", but that clean speed is way lower than that a Tilt-Rotor's.

A V-22's flyaway cost is no more $100 million than a UH-60's is $6 million. Yes, we spent way more than we should have on the V-22. One of the reasons was that the difficulty in scaling up from an XV-15 sized vehicle involved greater difficulty than expected. You get new technology, you learn. I suspect we might find the same thing if we try and scale up from an XH-59/X2 size vehicle as well. Another big contributing factor was the cancellation of the V-22 by Dick Cheney during the reign of Bush the Elder followed by the deliberate stretch-out during the reign of Clinton the Triangulator. You stretch something out, it always costs more.

I've never understood why compound helo proponents always seem to resent and attack Tilt-Rotor as if they were mutually exclusive. "If only we had gotten all that money...". One tends to forget why Tilt-Rotor got all that money. Basically, the XV-15 demonstrated more capability and promise on a shoestring budget than all of compound research combined. No one stopped a compound from being considered for JVX except that no one had enough confidence to bid one. Even today, X2 is moving at a snail pace. It's flown (yay!), but only a little bit and as I posted earlier, that first flight date may have been some misdirection about the first flight date to focus attention away from how late it was. The X-49 also promises a lot (although it seems the idea there is to increase the speed of existing designs than with the much more expensive idea of a fresh design), but after all the time invested so far, has it yet demonstrated sustained cruise higher than that of a regular clean H-60? Will it match the hover efficiency of the H-60? Compound helicopter publicity is telling us, "This is what we'll get with these technologies", and maybe we will, but as yet none of it has actually been demonstrated.

Although I am a fan of Tilt-Rotor, I see no need to denigrate other concepts (except X-Wing). Personally I, like most Tilt-Rotor proponents, hope that compound helicopters can deliver on the promise its adherents wish for. The more choices in technology, the better. I suspect compounds, if they ever come through, can offer real advances in the smaller sizes and high percentage very slow speed missions in civil roles. A 220 knot cruise S-76 class vehicle would go a long way towards moving the initiative in rotorcraft design back towards this side of the Atlantic, if it works. I am looking forward to advances in this field, but given the glacial speed of modern development I am putting my money for the near term on what has proven to work. I am keeping my fingers crossed for other alternatives.

The following Youtube video was posted by Stephen Trimble in the Flightglobal blog "The Dew Line" on October 8th, 2008. The video has no or less sound, so leave your speakers turned off.
http://www.youtube.com/v/oLNyiqB7jgE&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1

The future is already here -- at least in video form. I used my cell phone camera to copy video on display at Sikorsky's exhibit booth inside the gargantuan AUSA convention hall. Hope you enjoy.

A nice successor to the S-60 family. :)
X2_inflight_2.JPG

The photo below, also snapped by me from a Sikorsky video at the show, reveals one possible civilian application for the X2.
Source: Blog Fllghtglobal - A Sikorsky X2 update at the Heli-Expo 2009.

X2 Technology crane (X2C) and X2 Technology high-speed lifter (X2HS) grids from http://www.sharc.co.uk/index.htm

Attachments

• X2C.gif
    X2C.gif
    41.9 KB · Views: 107
  • X2HS.gif
    X2HS.gif
    46.1 KB · Views: 108
X2HSL size readily visible while comparing to 6-ft tall man.

Attachments

• x2hsl-.jpg
    x2hsl-.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 152
  • x2hs-.jpg
    x2hs-.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 136
  • x2c-.jpg
    x2c-.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 129
Is it me or does it look like the cockpit of X-2c can sit six people across ???

AeroFranz said:

Looks like someone was handed a model of Tacit Blue and told "make it into a helicopter".

AeroFranz said:

It could likely carry the same number of people as a UH-60 if you compare the size of the aircraft to the Stryker vehicle tucked underneath.

I would say that the X2HSL is probably on scale with the Mi-26... perhaps slightly bigger.

Drats!!

Guess I should have gone to the Quad A convention.

http://www.shephard.co.uk/news/2600/sikorsky-unveils-x2-light-tactical-helicopter-concept/

Attachments

• LTHSmall.jpg
    LTHSmall.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 260
AeroFranz said:
I read somewhere it has a 14 man cockpit, probably enough to crew the FCS vehicle it's carrying.

our friends from Aviation Week's Ares Blog have more
http://tinyurl.com/d6k4s8
http://tinyurl.com/cgavy9
http://tinyurl.com/c6ym5v

Stephen Trimble goes with his comments as well at DEW Line
http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2009/05/sikorsky-unveils-mock-up-x2-ar.html

... and one more video:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2009/05/video-briefing-on-sikorsky-x2.html

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Hi,

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/245168-sikorsky-x2-coaxial-heli-developments-23.html

Attachments

• lineup.jpg
    lineup.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 450
Hi,

Has Sikorsky released any firm measurements on these X-2 concepts? Particuarly the X2HSL & the AHX-2.

I'd like to know as from the rough measurement I made using that image with a 6ft tall person, I found the X2HSL is roughly 100ft long. However, the image i've posted states the rotors are 55ft in radius, roughy half the length. But the second pic shows it's almost the same lenght as the airframe. So unless the man in that image represents Neopleon, something's wrong.

I would upload, but the files are too big.

do us a favor, please, if you can upload archived to www.zshare.net and give a link
I would be personally obliged, and not only me I'm sure

I don't have any hi rez versions of those, sorry. :-\

Unless you're saying post the full size image, which then it'd stretch out this forum.

EDIT: Er... Found out what was wrong, I got radius & diameter mixed up...

problem is solved, thanks)

Sikorsky X2 Files With Engaged Propeller

Jul 13, 2009

Kerry Lynch

Sikorsky's X2 Technology demonstrator recently completed two test flights
with a fully engaged the propeller for the first time. The helicopter
reached speeds of 52 knots in one test and 42 knots with the propeller
providing forward thrust in the second flight. The demonstrator is designed
to fly at 250 knots, about twice the speed of current helicopters.
The demonstrator has accumulated more than three hours of flight time at the
Sikorsky facility in Horseheads, N.Y. The aircraft will be relocated to
Sikorsky's Development Flight Center in West Palm Beach, Fla. this month for
continued flight-testing that will lead up to the 250-knot design goal.
The X2 Technology demonstrator incorporates a range of new technologies, as
well as a counter-rotating coaxial rotor, to achieve record speeds yet
retain low-speed handling, efficient hovering and autorotation safety. In
addition to the rotor, the demonstrator is equipped with fly-by-wire
controls, hub drag reduction, active vibration controls and an integrated
auxiliary propulsion system. Sikorsky said it is "maturing the technology"
for use in a range of missions such as rapid air medical response,
reconnaissance and special operations.
"The program is progressing extremely well both technologically and from a
future applicability standpoint," said Mark Miller, vice president of
research and engineering at Sikorsky. "Certainly we've got much more to do,
but interest continues to grow among both the military and commercial
sectors in how this technology might improve current operations and enable
new missions that today are simply not possible with the current helicopter
flight limitations."

Hi,
I'm a newby. The Sikorsky x2 family look similar to the Fairey Rotodyne without the jet-tip pods on the rotors.
It seems to me that the Brits come up with the ideas and the Americans take the idea one step further.

Several differences in the concepts, most notably the rotodyne's rotor is tip-actuated to avoid generating torque, and acts like an unpowered gyroplane at high speed. The X-2's rotors counter-rotate and are always powered.
Use the search function and type "gyrodyne" and you will find more than you will ever want to know ;)