Sikorsky Reverse Velocity Rotor (RVR) concept

CammNut

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Here's an unusual, and I think little known, one - Sikorsky's Reverse Velocity Rotor concept. This design from 2002 is an 80-passenger airliner that I think was studied under NASA's Runway Independent Aircraft project.

The idea is that, at the design's 300kt cruise speed, the rotor is turning at half speed and the retreating blade is immersed in reverse flow, but still generates lift because the aerofoil is double-ended - it works both ways.

At high speed the rotor autorotates and engine power is diverted to the ducted fan for propulsion

Attachments

• Sikorsky RVR_0001.JPG
    Sikorsky RVR_0001.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 363
Cam- I believe that the rotor systems was not to be in full autorotation as the rotor systems still had to provide lift for the aircraft. I believe that is one reason that the rotor blades were dual sided. If this is not so, I cannot see how the aircraft would generate enough lift to remain flying. Anyway if memory serves the technology to make this work was found to be beyond current capability.

The Sikorsky presentation that the image came from says: "Rotor autorotates at high advance ratios". And I think an autorotating rotor does produce some lift.

CammNut said:
The Sikorsky presentation that the image came from says: "Rotor autorotates at high advance ratios". And I think an autorotating rotor does produce some lift.

It does, else autogyros wouldn't work.

CammNut said:
Here's an unusual, and I think little known, one - Sikorsky's Reverse Velocity Rotor concept. This design from 2002 is an 80-passenger airliner that I think was studied under NASA's Runway Independent Aircraft project.

The idea is that, at the design's 300kt cruise speed, the rotor is turning at half speed and the retreating blade is immersed in reverse flow, but still generates lift because the aerofoil is double-ended - it works both ways.

At high speed the rotor autorotates and engine power is diverted to the ducted fan for propulsion

CammNut,

That's an interesting rotorcraft, appears to me to be similar to the Piasecki concept except for the rotor control. By the way, where can I read more about it, conference literature or is it limited to internal company reports?

Thanks

Hi,

The Sikorsky RVR.

http://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/2002/2002%20-%203390.pdf