Sikorsky R-4 during Operation Husky?

archipeppe

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
In the Italian comedy film "At war with love" by the actor/director Pif (Pierfrancesco Diliberto), it is portrayed a humor scene when he (playing the part of Italo-American private) arrives in Sicily transported by a Sikorsky R-4 Hoverfly (or "Gadfly" for the US Navy...) while he is riding a donkey.

The R-4 was very well done, for sure in CGI, despite the fact that usually such kind of movies are ofter nor accurate and nor historically accurated enough.

My question is: did it is realistic or historically plausible to have an operational (or maybe) Sikorssky R-4 moving from Allied fleet during the Operation Husky?

1568374722499.png

Not really. The R-4 didn't even fly from a ship in testing until May 1943, just a couple of months before Husky. It did not reach operational units until 1944, I believe.

I'd alos be shocked if you could get an R-4 airborne with a man and a donkey as a sling load. Two passengers was a serious stretch.

Not really. The R-4 didn't even fly from a ship in testing until May 1943, just a couple of months before Husky. It did not reach operational units until 1944, I believe.

I'd alos be shocked if you could get an R-4 airborne with a man and a donkey as a sling load. Two passengers was a serious stretch.

Thank you TomS.
It is clear that the donkey and the private was an "artistic license" functional to the movie's plot but not in line with the real R-4 performances.

Back
Top Bottom