Sikorsky CH-53K King Stallion Heavy Lift Replacement (HLR)

H_K

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Australia is already quite happy with CH-47 and indeed, is in in the process of getting more.
Agree. Same is probably true for other CH-47 operators.

So who needs heavy lift but doesn’t have Chinooks? (Or has CH-53s / Mil Mi-26s to replace?)

Germany
Israel
Japan
France?
Jordan?

Flyaway

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Likely to be a great helicopter, but I have to wonder how many will afford a ~$100M(US)/per unit. Okay, so maybe it gets cheap, like Osprey cheap. The question remains.
Probably end up being just Israel & Germany outside the US. Japan as well.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
Three more nations in talks with LM for some CH-53K (aside of Israel & Germany) :

Aside from Israel (already selected) and Germany (in competition), Japan would be the most obvious. Another possibility might be Sth Korea given their CH-47s are 20+yrs old and they have the Dokdo-class LPHs now.

DWG

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Probably end up being just Israel & Germany outside the US. Japan as well.
Given Japan has a relatively new AW-101 fleet for MCM, and is buying V-22s for assault, I don't see a large market for the King Stallion there.

DWG

Reaction score
Three more nations in talks with LM for some CH-53K (aside of Israel & Germany) :

Another possibility might be Sth Korea given their CH-47s are 20+yrs old and they have the Dokdo-class LPHs now.
Though it would be competing against the Marineon variant of the Surion, which is both already in service on the Dokdos and has the advantage of being home grown(-ish). King Stallion's only advantage would be heavy lift, so I suspect that any buy would be small.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
I wouldn't qualify the old Puma Gearbox and rotor system as being competitive with the K.
Even if improvements were introduced, the listed max takeoff weight (with, oddly, a cited max load that when added to the empty weight is inferior!) is just under the maximum slung load for the Ch-53K.

That, obviously, unless someone is suggesting that the Korean army should temper the risk with the Surion gear box by acquiring some King!!

Last edited:

DWG

Reaction score
I wouldn't qualify the old Puma Gearbox and rotor system as being competitive with the K.
Even if improvements were introduced, the listed max takeoff weight (with, oddly, a cited max load that when added to the empty weight is inferior!) is just under the maximum slung load for the Ch-53K.

That, obviously, unless someone is suggesting that the Korean army should temper the risk with the Surion gear box by acquiring some King!!
I'm certainly not suggesting a twice-warmed over Puma has the same capabilities as the King Stallion, simply that the Korean Marine Corps has already decided on the Marineon for its assault lift, and attack, roles, and the King Stallion has simply missed the boat. If there is a Korean role for it, I'd see it as a very limited buy to add some heavylift capability.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Old (CH-53E):
message-editor%2F1634939189390-djhyuqvx0aakfic.jpeg

New (CH-53K)
message-editor%2F1634940580368-ch53kinteriormarines.jpg

icyplanetnhc (Steve)

Reaction score
Website
aiaa.seas.ucla.edu
It's pretty remarkable what an additional foot of cabin width does. But, with the overhead panels now covering the hydraulic lines, how will the crew be able to quickly tell that there's still oil without the leaking to remind them? ;)

I also see that Victor units are starting to rock the IAR and SCO combo. For what it is, I can personally attest that the damn thing is a pig, that's for sure, but I digress...

Last edited:

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Multiple Israeli media outlets report that a committee of government officials that oversee defense spending approved the $2.4 billion deal in a meeting on Nov. 28. The meeting lasted less than an hour, according to Haaretz and the Jerusalem Post. On the recommendation of the Ministry of Defense, the deal is good for 10 to 15 helicopters to replace the Israeli Air Force’s aging CH-53 “Yasur” helicopters.

sferrin

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
It's pretty remarkable what an additional foot of cabin width does. But, with the overhead panels now covering the hydraulic lines, how will the crew be able to quickly tell that there's still oil without the leaking to remind them? ;)

I also see that victor units are starting to rock the IAR and SCO combo. For what it is, I can personally attest that the damn thing is a pig, that's for sure, but I digress...
What thing is a pig? And compared to what?

icyplanetnhc (Steve)

Reaction score
Website
aiaa.seas.ucla.edu
What thing is a pig? And compared to what?
The M27 IAR, combined with a PEQ-16, bipod, and the 1-8x28 SCO scope (Trijicon VCOG 1-8); the damn thing is a heavy motherfucker, as the scope itself is 2 lbs. The whole thing weighs close to 13 lbs loaded and is in particular quite front heavy. Carry it for field and patrol exercises and you’ll understand. Fully outfitted, the weapon is heavier the old M14, and with the KAC NT4 suppressor that's planned to be fielded to all infantry units, it's approaching the weight of an M1918 BAR.

I’m personally not fond of it being a standard infantry rifle. Besides the weight that negatively affects maneuverability, a standard infantry combat load isn’t quite enough for sustained automatic fire in the first place.

Last edited:

riggerrob

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score

I also see that victor units are starting to rock the IAR and SCO combo. For what it is, I can personally attest that the damn thing is a pig, that's for sure, but I digress...
Clear Plexiglas interior panels can minimize snag hazards while still allowing maintenance crew to see hydraulic lines, etc.

yasotay

Top Contributor
Reaction score
I would put money on it that in a prolonged deployment those panels, if not flight required, will end up in the back of a sealand container, behind the hanger.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Not a CH-53K news per se but still an interesting potential development: Germany could deploy some of its CH-53E in Niger and Mali to support the European contingent.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Marine Corps Air Station New River will transition from a CH-53E Super Stallion helicopter squadron to the Marine Corps’ first operational CH-53K King Stallion helicopter squadron as part of the Marine Corps’ modernization efforts for the future fight.

starviking

Reaction score

sferrin

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Rear rotor pylon assembly.
Rear rotor pylon (Tail Rotor Pylon) is the aft pink area here. The Aft Transition section is the green area.

edit: Also, this graphic is old. "EDO" is Albany. Albany currently does the tail and sponsons and just picked up the Aft Transition section.

h53k_fuselage.jpg

Last edited:

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
New flight control computer:

Military avionics designers at Sikorsky Aircraft in Stratford, Conn., will redesign the flight-control computer aboard the U.S. Marine Corps. CH-53K King Stallion heavy-lift helicopter under terms of a $36 million three-year order.

Officials of the U.S. Naval Air Systems Command at Patuxent River Naval Air Station, Md., are asking Sikorsky, a Lockheed Martin company, to provide a CH-53K flight-control computer redesign due to obsolescence.

The order includes non-recurring engineering efforts to integrate, test, and qualify an updated flight-control computer for the CH-53K. The redesigned flight-control computer will undergo qualification testing to ensure all changes meet CH-53K performance specifications, and are backward compatible with all CH-53K flight control system hardware and software interfaces.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Sikorsky-Rheinmetall‘s STH team briefed German defence media and Janes in Bonn on 12 April, announcing that the US government had on 8 April submitted updated information and the possible delivery plan for the Foreign Military Sale (FMS) of the CH-53K to Germany. Sikorsky and Rheinmetall said they could deliver the first CH-53Ks starting in 2025, with the US Marine Corps, as the main user of the helicopter, able to provide training to convert German crews from the CH-53G, enabling the ageing helicopters‘ retirement in 2030 as planned.