Secret U.S. Proposals of the Cold War - Jim Keeshen

I just spoke with someone at Specialty Press and they told me it will be available from them by the end of April.

Ed

Flicking through the book it looks great - though don't expect every model to be a manufacturers one as there are a few model kits (built very well) in it used as illustrations.

Regards,
Barry

Just got a copy yesterday from Crecy.

It reminds me of: "American Secret Projects: Fighters & Interceptors ...", in terms
of the format and presentation.

This book also shows manufacturers models as well as some nicely built up plastic
models, as mentioned above.

I think it is completely valid to show non-manufacturers models, if they are nicely done,
because after all, there may be no manufacturers models available for these subjects.

Speaking of manufacturers models, it was also sad to see what the 1994 California
earthquake did to some very nice Douglas SST models, that I had never seen before.
Even in the damaged state, these are cool designs! I am glad they were presented
in the book!

Being a hypersonics nut, I was also pleased to see a Convair Aerospaceplane concept
model presented!

I think both this book as well as "American Secret Projects: Fighters & Interceptors ...",
fit well together. I intend to place them together on my shelf.

In fact, I would encourage model manufacturers to explore these subjects, but with a limited
run of high quality models. Perhaps pick subjects that we now know exist, but that have not been
covered with a manufacturers model to our knowledge. Go ahead and make them expensive!
At least photos will be available for everyone, of the final model, and ownership will be available
for some, but at least making a good profit will allow these concepts to be finally modelled.
And a company will take it out of the domain of the enthusiast who may lose interest in the
project half way through. And there are so many subjects that perhaps several companies can
exist to do these. Just my two cents.

Enjoyable book!

A different look at the unbuilt-projects topic in its use primarily of models to illustrate the subjects. There are designs I've seen illustrated elsewhere, but others that I haven't.

I remember seeing some of the amazing models in Grumman's History Center when I worked there, and was glad to see some of those in this book. I was appalled to read that some of the models shown had been rescued from trash cans and dumpsters! Even in less-than-pristine condition (like the earthquake-damaged ones), they are still nice to see.

Got a copy past week. A lovely book and clearly
a work of love by a master modelbuilder.
It's interesting to see that the book also
decribes a few unknowns in the subchapters.

Amazon delivered my copy. Nice book, as said above concentrating on the models and their makers. There are some nice model shots of designs I've seen in other books only in drawings, other models of designs totally new to me.

I noticed on page 155 - "Unknown Republic Variable Geometry Sesqui-Wing VTOL" - this is the Fokker-Republic D-24 Alliance. Not very unknown. Nice model though.

I got my copy today and I'm looking forward to read it over the Pentecost 3 day weekend. B) :D

Back
Top Bottom