Sea Flash vs Sea Sparrow

PMN1

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Would the Sea Flash SAM looked at by BAe have offered any advantages over Sea Sparrow?

What type of launcher did the BAe study look at or did it not get that far?

PMN1 said:
Would the Sea Flash SAM looked at by BAe have offered any advantages over Sea Sparrow?

What type of launcher did the BAe study look at or did it not get that far?

A better question might be "Sea Flash vs. Sea Wolf?"

I would think that a missile the size of the Sparrow would have had a superior engagement range to Sea Wolf, but I wonder if the VLS concept might have worked in the favor of Sea Wolf - despite the fact that the Sea Wolf VLS wasn't fielded until nearly tow decades after it was conceived.

TinWing said:
A better question might be "Sea Flash vs. Sea Wolf?"

I would think that a missile the size of the Sparrow would have had a superior engagement range to Sea Wolf, but I wonder if the VLS concept might have worked in the favor of Sea Wolf - despite the fact that the Sea Wolf VLS wasn't fielded until nearly tow decades after it was conceived.

Well Sea Sparrow can be VL from Mk48 VLS so there shouldn't be any reason why a Sea Flash couldn't also be launched this way.

Never been able to find out why when Sea Wolf was originally looked at as VL missile it ended up in its initial form as one launched from a trainable launcher.

How about a VL Sea Flash with an active seeker???

Back
Top Bottom