Smaller capacity and lighter ship-based Sea Sparrow/Aspide SAM launchers???

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
G'day all

I'm in search of smaller (size and capacity) and lighter ship-based Sea Sparrow/Aspide SAM launchers than that of the more common Mk25 and Mk29 8-cell box launchers.
I know of the smaller 4-cell Selenia Aspide SAM launcher, as found on the Ecuadorian Esmeraldas-class and Malaysian Laksamana Hang Nadim-class corvette's, but I don't know it's official title/designation?
I'd also appreciate any other smaller/lighter ship-based Sea Sparrow/Aspide SAM launchers derivatives that you might know of out there.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Pioneer

Attachments

• Malaysian Laksamana Class Missile Corvette%0Awith quad Aspide SAM launcher.jpg
    Malaysian Laksamana Class Missile Corvette%0Awith quad Aspide SAM launcher.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 209
  • Ecuadorian Esmeraldas-class corvette (with Quadruple Aspide SAM launcher).jpg
    Ecuadorian Esmeraldas-class corvette (with Quadruple Aspide SAM launcher).jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Well, there's the Mk 48 VLS. It's usually deployed with 8 cells, but it looks like they're individual canisters.

mk48hang.jpg

Well, there's the Mk 48 VLS. It's usually deployed with 8 cells, but it looks like they're individual canisters.

mk48hang.jpg

Thanks for your reply Hobbes, but I'm after something more in the 1970's time frame. In fact after a little more research and assistance from GTX , I can now say I'm after information on the Selenia (Alenia) Albatros shipboard SAM system - 'The Albatros system is available in three versions of launchers (four, six and eight-cell)[/i]', and these four and six-cell are the launchers and their technical designations I'm sorting.

Regards
Pioneer

Last edited:
G'day all

I'm in search of smaller (size and capacity) and lighter ship-based Sea Sparrow/Aspide SAM launchers than that of the more common Mk25 and Mk29 8-cell box launchers.
I know of the smaller 4-cell Selenia Aspide SAM launcher, as found on the Ecuadorian Esmeraldas-class and Malaysian Laksamana Hang Nadim-class corvette's, but I don't know it's official title/designation?
I'd also appreciate any other smaller/lighter ship-based Sea Sparrow/Aspide SAM launchers derivatives that you might know of out there.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Pioneer
Hi there,

I am wondering where did you get the schematic drawing of the vessels from? Thank you.

G'day all

Thanks in advance

Regards
Pioneer
Hi there,

I am wondering where did you get the schematic drawing of the vessels from? Thank you.
Sorry my friend, I can't afford you the information you sort. I've had the picture on my hard-drive for many many years, and can't remember the source.

Regards
Pioneer

Old thread but looked the most relevant. Looks like a 2 cell (8 missile) launcher.

Jul 6 2023
BAE Systems was selected to design and deliver a new prototype deck launching system to the U.S. Navy.
BAE Systems was awarded a $37 million U.S. Department of Defense Ordnance Technology Consortium (DOTC) contract to design the Next Generation Evolved SeaSparrow Missile Launch System (NGELS). The company will support the NATO SeaSparrow Program Office (NSPO) to design and deliver prototype deck launching systems to support the U.S. Navy and allied countries with the Evolved SeaSparrow Missile (ESSM) ship self-defense system.

NGELS is a deck-mounted, fixed-angle launcher that leverages BAE Systems’ Adaptable Deck Launcher (ADL) concept to store and launch ESSMs from Mk 25 missile canisters, which are also produced by BAE Systems. Easily integrated into large deck platforms, NGELS will support the fielding of the latest and most highly-capable ESSM missile, the Block 2 variant, a multi-role surface-to-air and surface-to-surface missile capable of protecting aircraft carriers and other flat-decked ships against advanced air and surface threats. NGELS will use proven Mk 41 Vertical Launching System subsystems to deliver surface-to-air and surface-to-surface defense capabilities to aircraft carriers and amphibious ships in order to defeat missile threats.

“We have a long history of providing missile integration, launching systems, and canister design to the U.S. Navy,” said Brent Butcher, vice president of the weapon systems product line at BAE Systems. “NGELS leverages the expertise of our workforce to provide a ready-to-deploy system that enhances mission effectiveness and enables reliable ship defense for the U.S. Navy. We look forward to working with our customers to bring this enhanced capability to the fleet and introducing it to international users.”

2aa72de58f22d57d5af5a716cd27784b

Interesting. The Adaptable Deck Launcher that NGELS is based on is usually shown as a 4-cell launcher, but there are definitely photos (like yours) showing an ESSM launch from a test stand with just one or maybe two cells ganged together (4 or 8 ESSM). And NGELS could be even shorter than the Tactical-length ADL, since it doesn't have to fit SM-2MR.

1688658589834.png

Attachments

• baes_ds_DIGITAL_ADL_leaflet.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 13