Scandinaviska BHT.1 & BHT.2 Swedish Light Aircraft of 1940s

cluttonfred

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
cluttonfred.info
I took a trip to Gothenburg, Sweden recently and had a chance to visit the Aeroseum, an aviation museum housed in a former Cold War underground bunker. The collection focused largely on post-WWII Swedish military aircraft with little in the way of prototypes, but this sophisticated one-off "homebuilt" (by a group including a Saab engineer at the Saab factory) from 1944 did catch my eye. Note the involvement of Erik Bratt (the "B" in BHT-1) who went on to design the iconic Saab Draken jet fighter. Cheers, Matthew

Attachments

• BHT-1 Beauty  - 1.jpg
    BHT-1 Beauty - 1.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 212
  • BHT-1 Beauty  - 3.jpg
    BHT-1 Beauty - 3.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 192
  • BHT-1 Beauty  - 4.jpg
    BHT-1 Beauty - 4.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 167
  • BHT-1 Beauty  - 2.jpg
    BHT-1 Beauty - 2.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 164
  • BHT-1 Beauty  - 5.jpg
    BHT-1 Beauty - 5.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 151
Hi,

the Scandinaviska Aero BHT.1 was single seat light Swedish light monoplane aircraft
of 1940s,powered by one 60 hp Walter Mikron 4 piston engine,and the BHT.2 was a
two-seat developed version of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skandinaviska_Aero_BHT-1_Beauty

http://www.avia-it.com/act/biblioteca/periodici/PDF%20Riviste/Ala/L'Ala%201946%2006.pdf

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    227.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 19762.jpg
    19762.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 102
cluttonfred said:
Perhaps better merged with this thread?

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,27896.0.html

Oh sorry for that.

By the way,

I used the search for "Scandinaviska",but nothing I found.

Just to clarify, the BHT-1 wasn't designed by Saab engineers, it began as a student project at the Kungliga Tekniska Högskolan (Royal Technical University) in Stockholm. The BHT acronym stood for three KTH students - Bratt, Hilfing, and Törnblom. Matthew has already mentioned Erik Bratt. I'm not sure what becomes of Karl-Erik Hilfing (although his later patents are non-aviation related). Björn Törnblom worked under Bo Lundberg on the FFVS J 22, later moving on to SAS.

Skandinaviska Aero AB (SAA) and Svenska Aeroplanaktiebolaget (SAAB) weren't the same thing. SAA was a small 'airline' which was mostly involved in contracted target-towing for the Flygvapnet. SAA had begun as Björkvallsflyg back in 1931. Founder Kurt Björkvall - the Swedish aviation pioneer - was killed in a 1940 and Björkvallsflyg was renamed as Skandinaviska Aero. [1] SAA lasted until 1948 when it was bought out by the SAS (Scandinavian Airlines System) consortium.

The BHT-2 was indeed a two-seat derivative of the original BHT-1. But, just to be clear, it remained unbuilt.

[1] Some sources state that BHT-1 contruction began under the Björkvallsflyg banner ... which seems improbable.

Back
Top Bottom