Sadleir P-25T V/STOL Concept

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks to Amsci99 I have been sent a brochure for the Sadleir P-25T VSTOL concept - its a comparison to the Bell/Boeing V-22 dated August 1992. Needless to say the Osprey comes off second best :) I also have a VHS video showing tethered model tests.

It is A3 landscape format so scanning may prove challenging.

It is A3 landscape format so scanning may prove challenging.

You can scan it as two A4 segments and join it with the help of a photo editor.

Most commercial print shops should have an A3 sized scanner. I'm sure they would let you scan there for a small fee. Of course I'm not sure if this kind of advanced technology is available in New Zealand? ;D

Nah, I'll do it with my A4 flatbed scanner. We're a two scanner, two printer, four computer household ;)

Shouldn't the title read "Sadler"? Or is it a different company?

SADLEIR VTOL AIRCRAFT CO (Australia)
Kimberley Vere Sadleir.

Funnily enough I knew this when I posted it, hence the use of "Sadleir" ::)

I will post something soon. It looks like it was drawn with a crayon though, not very confidence boosting in the company or concept.

I have some imagery from an early 1990s edition of Jane's All the World's Aircraft which detail the Sadleir 'rotor-in-wing' VTOL designs. They include some nice looking CGI models of various sized aircraft and a sub-scale flying model. Which basically fills the guy's backyard. Of course at the moment my office is being remodeled and they are in a box somewhere...

I think for a while there Sadleir was pretty serious but just lacked the venture capital to leave the backyard and takeoff. That and the difficulty of getting a lot of vertical lift out of a ducted fan limited in size to the centre section of a compound wing. But they weren't an investment scam like some pusedo aerospace companies we could all mention...

From Flight International:

Begul may be more successful in attracting investment than Perth, Western Australia-based Sadleir VTOL Aircraft. Since about 1991, the firm has been marketing unconventional VTOL aircraft. Sadleir's designs show vertical lift being provided by a ducted fan housed horizontally within a delta wing. This exhausts through underwing ducts with rotating vanes which Sadleir's drawings indicate would be connected to a "joy stick". In forward flight, upper and lower doors would close to provide a conventional aerofoil. Sadleir foresaw vehicles with top speeds exceeding Mach 1, and gross weights reaching 50t.

Although copious, the technical literature failed to gain the unanimous endorsement of aerodynamicists and aeronautical engineers. Sadleir did, however, produce and circulate video footage of tethered trials of a small model of the lifting device. These revealed convincingly that the device's thrust exceeded its weight. Lately the company has not been contactable.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2000/01/01/60519/our-wacky-world.html

Sadleir named his design concept the "Cruisefan", which has an unfortunately side effect when you enter it into Google...

"This is what I call a target-rich environment."

Sadleir VTOL Aircraft Co Pty Ltd, Winthrop, Western Australia.

CEO Kim Sadleir.

Sadleir VTOL Aircraft Co Pty Ltd incorporated in 1990 to exploit patented fast VTOL aircraft technology developed from 1986 onwards by inventor and company founder Kim Sadleir and associates.

Development has involved construction of six models and three-full scale test rigs; largest of the latter, VX-3, built to prove lifting concept; powered by 1,300 cc turbo-charged motorcycle engine and weighed approximately 330 kg (729 lb); rose 3.50 m (11 ft 6 in) in August 1992 within steel frame as substitute for pitch and roll controls. Test of half-scale radio controlled model were underway in 1995.

Future strategy envisages approach to other companies with the object of collaborative development and offer of technology to industry under license.

Source: Jackson, Paul editor. Jane's All the World's Aircraft 1995-96 Jane's Information Group Limited 1995 pp. 8-9.

VX-3 test unit and model at the Royal Australian Air Force Association museum.

www.raafawa.org.au/museum/index.html

4533898228_3885f2dce4_o.jpg

4533898176_4cb63a510e_o.jpg

4533263273_3d3c3d0dc0_o.jpg

Attachments

• Sikorsky SCAT-NASA report August 1991.jpg
    Sikorsky SCAT-NASA report August 1991.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 295