Sad news about well-known forum member, researcher and author John Aldaz (Circle-5)

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tony Buttler said:
Dear All.

It is my very sad duty to have to tell you of the death of John Aldaz (Circle-5). After a long fight against illness this was expected, but it is still a shock to hear that John is now no longer with us.

As many of you know, John posted many items on the forum, but from my point of view his contributions to American Secret Projects volumes in particular was enormous. He was also instrumental in helping to get the airlifters titles off the ground, but of course has just missed seeing the first volume in print. RIP John - your contribution will not be forgotten!

On a personal note, I will add that John was very supportive of my own book efforts, and generous with sharing items from his extensive collection with fellow researchers. His posts here have been tremendously valuable and he will be greatly missed
. JohnAldaz.PNG

Last edited:
Goddamit so much.

He was a good guy. Difficulty: I was doing some model restoration work for him. Stuff it sitting on a table, awaiting some instructions from him regarding what he wanted done with some things. Well... poop.

Damn, RIP to a quality individual.

RIP John.

I always knew when he posted there was likely to be something I had never seen before.

My condolences to his family and loved ones.

Very sad news. I was always interested to read what he posted. He gave a lot behind the scenes too.

My condolences to his family and friends.

RIP John !
My deepest sympathy to your family.
I will sadly miss our conversations ...

Very few of collectors I know were so friendly and sharing with other enthusiasts.
Very nice person has gone...RIP John

We'll really miss you so much. One of the great members in the forum. RiP

I only knew him through his posts but i remember them as being insightful and worth reading every time. RIP.

Always sad to lose great contributing members, RIP. Best to family and friends.

Darn. Happy trails John.

Condolences to friends and family.

Could not have been a nicer person - always wanted to meet John in person.

Deepest condolences to his family and he will be truly missed. Godspeed.....

Sad news. I always enjoyed his post.

I had the pleasure of working with John through some of his more difficult times to help him restore and replace some engraved plates and bases. It was clear to me that his projects helped him to keep spirits up and I was always game to join in his fun. He was gracious and had infectious enthusiasm for all things aerospace and even gave me a couple tours of his amazing collection and advice on building my own. While any of those of us that spent time with him knew this news was unavoidable, I am saddened by the loss of a really good guy and will think of him always when I admire the models in my own collection he helped me to acquire and appreciate. He will leave behind for many of us a small piece of his passion to live on in us and I'm sure to encounter evidence of his contributions for years to come.