Saab Project 518: An Ongoing Proposal for EUROTRAINING

TinWing

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
This information might date from 2002, but this the best and only illustration of the Saab "Project 518," a clean sheet of paper design proposal for the 12-nation Eurotraining requirement.

http://svt.se/svt/articles/45100-45199/45130/
http://theworldofpolitics.com/showthread.php?t=891

Testing of the wind tunnel model began over 5 years ago. The proposal features a wing planform similar to the F-16, or KAI T-50. However, it would appear that the design offers a better forward view from the rear cockpit than the T-50.

Overall, this model bears a strong family resemblance to the Saab 2102, an early design study for the Gripen. However, the wing planform is somewhat different and the LERX is increased relative to overal wing area.

The tail design closely mirrors both BAe and Saab configurations from the early 1980s. The final Gripen had a broader, less raked vertical tail to provide more internal volume for equipment.

There have also been rumors to a "single engined" Dassault proposal.

In some ways, the current wind tunnel model also harkens back to the cancelled B3LA. Back in the 1970's, Saab proposed this subsonic, dual role strike trainer. As part of the system, Saab planned on developing the B83 antisurface missile. The B83 featured IR guidance and was in the same weight and performance class as today's Brimstone. Ironically, the B83 was based on the cancelled Rb.72 air to air missile.

After the cancellation of the B3LA, Saab offer the strike and training roles in separate airframes to reduce overall costs. Not unsurprisingly, the resulting A 38/Sk 38 was soon dropped as well.

I've searched for years, but I've never been able to find an accurate 3-view of the B3LA. Can anyone help me here?

Here's Urban Fredriksson's page on cancelled Saab projects, along with his own B3LA drawing.

http://www.canit.se/~griffon/aviation/text/saabcanc/

Attachments

• saabplan290.jpg
    saabplan290.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 1,322
Flight International, May 1990

SAAB planned its entry in JPATS competition witha version of the SK,60 jet trainer designated SAAB 2060 , fitted with a glass cockpit. At that moment, SAAB had yet to team with a US prime contractor

pometablava said:
Flight International, May 1990

SAAB planned its entry in JPATS competition witha version of the SK,60 jet trainer designated SAAB 2060 , fitted with a glass cockpit. At that moment, SAAB had yet to team with a US prime contractor

The Saab 105 was very similar in appearance and concept to the cancelled Fairchild T-46.

From Flygvapen NYTT magazine,

here is anther picture to SAAB-518 wind tunnel model.

Attachments

• 518.png
    518.png
    398.2 KB · Views: 625
I think this is the same Saab project

Attachments

• SWED- Saab Eurohawk_1.jpg
    SWED- Saab Eurohawk_1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 497