Russian-Ukrainian Conflict News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks, please keep to news and try to keep opinions and tangential discussions to a minimum.

Please be consistent then GTX. For some reason you've deleted my post pointing out Russia's stated position on NATO's expansion being an existential threat (not an opinion) which was made as a direct counter (in good faith) to Scott's opinions that: "Neither the US back then nor Russia today were/is fighting to survive, but for political power"; and that "Ukraine had no choice in this war", when plainly it did (also not an opinion).

You deleted my factual posts but you haven't deleted Scott's (no offence) inaccurate opinion posts.

I also notice that a lot of the posts above are a lot closer to Ukrainian propaganda than they are to news. Maybe some more policing is required?

If we're going to have a news thread then that's great. But lets make it as advertised, a news only thread and police it accordingly, please.

Given the increasing tendency for some to post Ukrainian war situation posts that are only tangentially, if at all, linked to the treads in question we have decided to re-open this thread for such posts.

Note however that it is for NEWS ONLY.

• Opinions, rants and the like will not be accepted nor will 'mud slinging'/arguments or the like.
  • Anything which is just propaganda style videos, unless showing something technically interesting (e.g first use of a T-14 or Su-57 in combat caught on video) are also not accepted.
  • If you have doubts about the suitability of your post, contact the moderators first to get advice.
  • Offering clarity about a news article is acceptable but must be done in a civilised, polite manner and preferably with facts.
  • Any posts in other threads that could be construed as news get moved to the thread or deleted as deemed necessary.
  • Posts in this thread will be policed ruthlessly and warnings/bans for offenders applied.

As we have already moved to discuss the terms of discussion..

1. "no propaganda" is a meaningless idea, as all information, particularly in time of conflict, has bias.

2. strict moderation is futile, and will only lead to discussions such as this, an increased workload for the mods, frustration and resulting unpopular draconianism.

My suggestion would be a very wide tolerance and laissez-faire based solely on the civility of the discourse. Who knows, this might even have the side-effect of teaching users a level of diplomacy and mutual respect.

Last edited:
Oh well, your board, your choice, It's still a gem in a deteriorating internet, and greatly appreciated.

I can't help thinking, however, that in view of the rising levels of conflict and tension, some editorial line beyond "don't mention the war" might be timely.

Genuinely don't have a solution. Can discuss with moderators again.

If Taiwan kicks off as well... the Chinese forum posters who were so happy at the start of the Ukraine conflict are already melting their boards down with demands to shoot Pelosi out of the sky, destroy the US carrier groups in the region, and start a nuclear war, alongside the obvious invasion of Taiwan.

I just wanted a forum to discuss unbuilt aircraft. Unbuilt aircraft never yet participated in an armed conflict....

Please be consistent then GTX.
Please remember that I am not the only moderator here and was not involved with moderating your recent posts. I will also send a message explaining why a post was either edited or deleted when I do moderate.

Part of the reason for tentatively reopening this thread was to reduce the overflow of Ukrainian war posts in unrelated threads.

I don't want to say "I told you so", but I seem to remember that this is exactly what happened a few months ago. And I told you so.

As Overscan stated:
I just wanted a forum to discuss unbuilt aircraft. Unbuilt aircraft never yet participated in an armed conflict....
This is what the forum should be about.

Not news. Not people's opinion.
Opinions of people involved first hand in some of the projects or with a background in relevant fields? Absolutely!
But opinions of people that just want to vent about their own fantasies or their pet peeves or why X is better than Y because that's what they like? That's all pretty much useless.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, for how much stupid or great that may be.
That doesn't mean they have to post it here though.
If what they want to talk about is not relevant to any project (not in a passing way) they can go post somewhere else. Open a blog or something and have their own echo chamber.

Because if user A posts about X and user B says Y is better, or X is false, or W is to be invaded (and I've reported posts about invasions and similar other threats), then you start to have people complain about why things are handled in a certain way with some users and in another way with other users. Regardless if this disparity of treatment is really there or not.
Because the arguments at the bottom are often polarizing.

Example:
I see a metric ton of people that post stupid takes. I try to avoid as much as possible any confrontation because it's just a waste of time arguing with strangers on the internet. But then again, there are some times where the particular take is so abhorrent that due to my own morals I cannot refrain from posting and pushing back against it, above all when the particular take in question is left up for all to see, for the sake of freedom of speech.
The same applies to everyone else here I guess, because I suppose that's how we humans work.
The issue is, that what is abhorrent to me, might not appear as such a bad thing to another person.
So the less polarizing the topics are, the less chances there will be of people deciding to pick a fight and they will just mostly ignore the idiots that surround them.

Then again, is it necessary to have a thread about news on a forum like this?
If I want to get news on the current affairs in the world, I certainly don't wake up in the morning, grab a cup of coffee and say to myself "ah let's see how the pandemic is going, let's read SPF!".

News about projects? Heck yes!
News about policy, op-ed's, podcasts? We're moving into the opinions arena, heck no, thank you.
Opinions are like ..., everybody has their own, and if you don't want to pick a side and decide to let democracy be rampant (even for those people that are not democratic) then don't complain when users are not playing nice to each other. Because ultimately the message that is implied in that way is that anyone can say anything here on this site. Without any particular consequence.

In my opinion we should just talk techs not feelings.
That's how we can avoid such a thing from happening over and over again.
Not by moderating case by case for sure, because this thread is the umpteenth demonstration that such a policy doesn't work.
We want to avoid "the overflow of Ukrainian war posts in unrelated threads"?
You remove the posts and warn the people involved.
They do it again? You ban them.
Easy as.
You cannot expect people to just magically give up their way of doing things and start to act accordingly to rules, because we have different backgrounds, different cultures, etc..

How can you expect everyone to act nicely? You pick a set of rules to follow and bonk the offenders into respecting them.

You want to have a thread as a repository for news? That's never, ever, going to work out well.

There is no point in complaining, the solution is simple and the rules are there, but they need to be enforced and not accomodated on the basis of what that particular person gravitates toward. Because uncertainty does not help.

Part of the reason for tentatively reopening this thread was to reduce the overflow of Ukrainian war posts in unrelated threads.
Then locking this topic and deleting unrelated Ukrainian war posts could work?

My opinion is that the forum core information should be preserved from unrelated stuff.

Why not opening a dedicated forum about Ukrainian War instead of that obstination for posting about it in a unbuilt projects one?

Please be consistent then GTX.
Please remember that I am not the only moderator here and was not involved with moderating your recent posts. I will also send a message explaining why a post was either edited or deleted when I do moderate.

I'm sorry if you weren't responsible GTX, my post was deleted and a new post appeared from you asking posters to stick to the news only theme of the thread.

I naturally assumed that it was you who had deleted my post as I had received no other notification explaining why.

The Ukrainian military has endangered Ukrainian civilians by establishing bases and operating weapons systems in residential areas - including in schools and hospitals - as it has sought to repel the Russian invasion, Amnesty International said today.

Ukraine’s tactics have violated international humanitarian law as they’ve turned civilian objects into military targets. The ensuing Russian strikes in populated areas have killed civilians and destroyed civilian infrastructure.
View: https://twitter.com/Antiwarcom/status/1555350691383615489?t=lTXR7YhbXQLnjSNPsCLqRA&s=19

View: https://twitter.com/Danspiun/status/1555320946717777921

View: https://twitter.com/Arslon_Xudosi/status/1555270836092915713

What I will add on losses is that Ukraine is likely counting Russian regular army, DPR/LPR and Wagner as one and the same.

1659690684874.png

Last edited:
Looks to me like a small drone/RC airplane equipped with an RPG. That would seem like an obvious development.
It's an EFP from either a 155 BONUS or SMArt 155. The explosion before the EFP is sometimes less obvious. RPGs aren't that fast, given video is in slo-mo.

You can see something continuing to fly, apparently horizontally. Whatever it is, though, a drone with an RPG remains an obvious sort of idea.

You can see something continuing to fly, apparently horizontally. Whatever it is, though, a drone with an RPG remains an obvious sort of idea.
I can't see anything continuing to fly having watched it again. Projectile is way too fast for an RPG, that's why I say EFP (Explosively Formed Penetrator). Which could be something the Phoenix Ghost thing also does.

I can't see anything continuing to fly having watched it again.
The video circles the object in red after the launch of the weapon. At 3:09 it also shows the trajectory of the object, which *seems* to be a flying vehicle rather than a ballistic object.

And real RPGs are *damned* fast. Nothing at all like the slowpoke rockets-on-a-string depicted in Hollywood movies.

The video circles the object in red after the launch of the weapon. At 3:09 it also shows the trajectory of the object, which *seems* to be a flying vehicle rather than a ballistic object.

And real RPGs are *damned* fast. Nothing at all like the slowpoke rockets-on-a-string depicted in Hollywood movies.
I watched with a larger video screen and I see it now. Huh.

115m/s muzzle velocity accelerating to 300m/s. Could be, but firing down off a drone? It's new anyway.

I watched with a larger video screen and I see it now. Huh.

115m/s muzzle velocity accelerating to 300m/s. Could be, but firing down off a drone? It's new anyway.
The "carrier" seems to continue on largely unaffected by the launch, indicating a low recoil system... that would seem to nix a flying mine. If it's a drone hauling an RPG, I gotta wonder about how it's carried. If it's a quad/octocopter, it looks like the weapon is launched in a largely downwards direction, with means the launch tube would somehow project between the blades. Or it's suspended well below the craft at a bit of an angle so the recoil blast doesn't yeet the blades off the drone.

Surface ship needed more defensive punch.

1659725053245.png

1659725015543.png

The "carrier" seems to continue on largely unaffected by the launch, indicating a low recoil system... that would seem to nix a flying mine. If it's a drone hauling an RPG, I gotta wonder about how it's carried. If it's a quad/octocopter, it looks like the weapon is launched in a largely downwards direction, with means the launch tube would somehow project between the blades. Or it's suspended well below the craft at a bit of an angle so the recoil blast doesn't yeet the blades off the drone.
The only way I can fathom it working is if the drone has a hole through the middle for the rocket, with a reach-around (pardon the expression) to fire the rocket.

One of these firing downwards?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLDAMalUaYE

I've had enough of pro- and anti- Ukraine posts by a tiny minority of people pushing their own political agendas.

Experiment was done.

It was a failure.

TOPIC CLOSED.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.