Russian Air Defense Hardware and Software Refits

Trdat

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Hello guys I am new here.

I understand that each system is unique and implementation specific and if air defenses need some sort of input regarding certain parameters of the targets such as speed and RCS to help operators filter out clutter then which Russian systems to what point can be tuned for example for drones if they weren't designed for it.

I am interested in particular the SA-8, S300. I am preusming the TOR is designed for a variety of smaller RCS targets for point defense.

So for example what kind of technical work needs to be done for the SA-8 for it to detect modern drones that it originially wasn't deisgned for? It is simple software changes or a full hardware refit? Is there the possibility that say for the S300 no parameters on drones can be inputed at all? or do they all have the capability to some extent...?

So for example what kind of technical work needs to be done for the SA-8 for it to detect modern drones that it originially wasn't deisgned for?
Optical channel + radio command missile.

So for example what kind of technical work needs to be done for the SA-8 for it to detect modern drones that it originially wasn't deisgned for?
Optical channel + radio command missile.

According to some sources the missile uses command guidance but my understanding is that it uses radio command for uplink for initial guidance and then perhaps uses some type of video to guide the terminal part of the guidance.

If the above is somewhat true then I get your answer. But what I dont get is why would the missile and guidance system need the upgrade and not the radar to detect?

And lastly from your answer I suspect that this type of upgrade is possible on the SA-8 am I right?

There have been a number of such videos featuring Tors, and the common theme seems to be that the missile tracks just fine and passes close enough to actually jolt the drone but the proximity fuze fails to trigger. So I guess while RCS isn't actually a problem at least for Tor, it's not strictly designed to engage small commercial drones, with the fuzing system being the limitation, rather than detection/guidance radars. Not sure how easily an adjustment to fuze sensitivity would be implemented, or whether that might affect lethality against conventional targets (premature detonation at greater distance).

Would probably still be worth the trade-off from the Russian perspective though - at least currently, the threat from Ukrainian helo and fixed wing ops is likely secondary to drone-corrected artillery fire...

There have been a number of such videos featuring Tors, and the common theme seems to be that the missile tracks just fine and passes close enough to actually jolt the drone but the proximity fuze fails to trigger. So I guess while RCS isn't actually a problem at least for Tor, it's not strictly designed to engage small commercial drones, with the fuzing system being the limitation, rather than detection/guidance radars. Not sure how easily an adjustment to fuze sensitivity would be implemented, or whether that might affect lethality against conventional targets (premature detonation at greater distance).

Would probably still be worth the trade-off from the Russian perspective though - at least currently, the threat from Ukrainian helo and fixed wing ops is likely secondary to drone-corrected artillery fire...
I thought they could also be command detonated too?