Translating technical manuals from Russian

jazjar

Personal text is personal
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Jazjar, and I am very interested in air defenses, ground based radars, SAMS, AAA, SHORAD's, and the like. I recently have acquired three new, 1991 USSR manuals on the subject matter, and I seem to have hit the jackpot, they have radar scopes, aerodynamic charts, tactical diagrams, and excellent schematics. They are technical manuals for the SA-8 GECKO TELAR, the SA-13 GOPHER TEL, and the SA-19 GRISON gun and missile system. These manuals are excellent, there is only one problem... They are in a language I cannot understand, Russian. I know that these manuals are rather easy to find online, so I was wondering if anyone could help me out in understanding them, maybe you've seen them before, or if anyone knows any methods of online translation that would work best for these.
Thank You,
Jazjar

So, you can do this, but its not easy, and requires various software.

Step 1 - scan page using OCR program like Finereader.
Step 2 - load file into Word processor - spellcheck - may help resolve minor character errors.
Step 3 - machine translation from Word doc. Systran - good but expensive. You can use Google translate website instead.

The result is usually unpleasant but generally understandable.