Russia appears to be on fire

yes...when wind changes, moscovites feel (not)pretty aroma of flaming peat bogs - not as exciting as smell of Lagavulin or Highland Park
if seriously, too many casualties because of spastic organisation (absense) of forest conservation and fire-fighting service

Attachments

• fires.jpg
    fires.jpg
    665.5 KB · Views: 63
Thanks for the great video! Sounds like a case for a huge fleet of Beriev 200:s instead of building PAK FAs... Though if it's been totally dry for five weeks, I don't know what helps anymore.

Jiska Rickels made a great documentary, "4 elements" which shows people in dangerous jobs, that just happened to be on the telly today. The element of fire is of Russian firefighters that are airdropped with a helicopter to ignite a counterfire to stop a forest fire. I recommend it.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0879220/

mz said:
Thanks for the great video! Sounds like a case for a huge fleet of Beriev 200:s
kinda Medvedev ordered to buy some new Be-200s firefighters...as always it happens here, it was made on right time - like no one expected fires when T outside ranges from 30 to 40 C

Mig engines are good for putting out fires...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyGDxglTVgA&feature=player_embedded

See? That's what you get for drilling a well into Hell.

flateric said:
yes...when wind changes, moscovites feel (not)pretty aroma of flaming peat bogs

That sounds moderately horrible. I was in Florida back in 2005 or 2006 when a lot of the swamps were on fire... I suspect the smell is much the same. Ain't nuthin' quite like the smell of drying, rotten swamp vegetation burning sullenly. Bleah.

if seriously, too many casualties because of spastic organisation (absense) of forest conservation and fire-fighting service

Have the forests been simply left alone, unmolested by people, or have people been screwing with 'em? In the US, we've had some serious forest fire troubles due to people working too hard to prevent both forest fires and development... the end result being:
1) Active suppression of forest fires leads to a buildup of brush that under normal circumstances would be taken care of by low-level fires
2) Suppression of all development efforts such as logging has led to really dense forests

And so you get dense forests (natural) loaded to the rafters with brush (un-natural). And then the fires become unstoppable.

Be-200 at work at 0:16
found by allocer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na_XF_Ee73c&feature=player_embedded

now...

13426894_11n.jpg

front-sub2.jpg

13419517_11n.jpg

Smog.jpg

what's next?

The_Mist_Alien_Spiders.jpg

3262209_f260.jpg

284678_f520.jpg

flateric said:
now...

what's next?

the fire threatened the town of Sarov
Sarov is better know as Arzamas-16
and is still the Russian center for nuclear research.

they have 'evacuated all explosives and nuclear stuff from the city limits' as reported here

Damn, I think I'd come up with some NSFW language myself driving through that :eek:

I drove out here to San Diego during the late stages of the 2007 fires, I had to drive through a minor one, but nothing like that horror.

Maybe Arnie will get us some BE-200's, that drop flateric posted was pretty impressive.

Friday. Looking from the loft office to the south west of Moscow

10:39 AM

12:37 AM

...well-smoked pigeons are somewhere inside this mist

flateric said:
Friday. Looking from the loft office to the south west of Moscow

Well, congratulations! After extracting yourselves from your decades long nightmare of Communism, you have now successfully emulated California, with vapid celebrities, extremely rich goofballs, and now Los Angeles-level air quality. Next up: earthquakes.

saintkatanalegacy said:
doesn't directly refer to the movie industry though...

So are you saying that Russia's fires were started by Russian moviegoers heads exploding due to the Russian movies taking after the Hollywood movies and dumbing down the science content to the point it causes brains to combust?

the-stupid-it-burns.jpg

saintkatanalegacy said:
I remember Putin flying in one of those planes with a certain Italian
I suppose was an italian Prime Minister ! ::)
Well or better : Wtf , the dark scenery of Moscow with the fire is not sci-fi, but it really happened ! :(

Red Square

Attachments

• 0_4cba3_6cea1ed3_orig.jpg
    0_4cba3_6cea1ed3_orig.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 22
We have had some of your smoke here in Helsinki too, but some very hefty thunderstorms last night fortunately washed some out. Too bad my crap camera won't connect to the computer anymore. Pictures from YLE.

Attachments

• savusumu_helsinki_337801b.jpg
    savusumu_helsinki_337801b.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 5
  • tornikamera_helsink_337800b.jpg
    tornikamera_helsink_337800b.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 5
  • palosavu_kartta_maa_338030b.jpg
    palosavu_kartta_maa_338030b.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 6
Oh, I was wondering what caused the clearing of the air! ::)

saintkatanalegacy said:
(Putin flying water bomber)

So, how's that playing politically in Russia? A few years ago George Bush flew a plane and caught all kinds of political hell for it. Now...

Attachments

• 4880924840_9ec72c6730_z.jpg
    4880924840_9ec72c6730_z.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 40
Considering Putin has saved the crew from a Siberian Tiger, this is small peas... ;)

Putin is former KGB, so...is a pilot-license included in the training?
Or did he learn to fly afterwards?
On what aircraft-types is he qualified?
Or did they give him a short training, just to be able to do some flying for "public relations"?

Dreamfighter said:
Or did they give him a short training, just to be able to do some flying for "public relations"?
exactly

Normally a real pilot leaves his feat on the rudder pedals, especially during low level flight. ::)

image-119564-galleryV9-rqmy.jpg

Such vanities of politicians (worldwide !) could be funny, wouldn't they be often (as I think
in this case) hampering the necessary efforts. Pretty sure, that this flight wasn't as effectice,
as I could have been, because nobody dares to risk the live of a VIP ! :-\

guys, its not only in russia, the world is on fire :eek:

image-120363-galleryV9-ffvh.jpg

http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/natur/bild-711711-120363.html
source NASA post by "Der Spiegel"

Orionblamblam said:
Hammer Birchgrove said:
Did Obama at least wash a bird? ::)

While riding a unicorn, even.

You know darn well the President would not "ride" a unicorn.
The American Unicorn Liberties Union would have been all over that.

yasotay said:
Orionblamblam said:
Hammer Birchgrove said:
Did Obama at least wash a bird? ::)

While riding a unicorn, even.

You know darn well the President would not "ride" a unicorn.
The American Unicorn Liberties Union would have been all over that.

Nah, unicorns are white, the ACLU would ignore it. ;)

observed monthly sunspot
jan feb mar apr may jun jul aug sep oct nov dec
2009 1.5 1.4 0.7 1.2 2.9 2.6 3.5 0.0 4.2 4.6 4.2 10.6
2010 13.1 18.6 15.4 7.9 8.8 13.5 16.1

FORECAST SOLAR CYCLE 24
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cycle Sol. Start Sol. Max Max SSN Length Rise to Max Max to End
Year Mth Year Mth Yr Mth Year Mth Year Mth
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
24 2010 Apr 2013 Oct 90.2 10.8 129 3.5 42 7.3 87

it's gonna get hotter in a few years...