Royal Aircraft Factory Projects

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

before my computer crashed,I had a drawings to S.E.6 and S.E.7,but loss them,has
anyone a drawings for them ?.

Here is early sketches for S.E.4 single seat fighter.

The Aviation Historian 05

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    179.9 KB · Views: 522
  • 2.png
    2.png
    202 KB · Views: 467
Hi,

here is some Aerial Targets to R.A.F.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205315380

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 355
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 349
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 348
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 348
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 317
Hi,

there is also the RAM.II,what was it ?.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205315373

Attachments

• RAM.II.jpg
    RAM.II.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 303
  • RAM.II.jpg
    RAM.II.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 316
The 'Farnborough Ram'.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Aircraft_Factory_A.E.3

The Royal Aircraft Factory A.E.3 (Armed or Armoured Experimental), also known as the Farnborough Ram, was a prototype British armoured ground attack aircraft of the First World War. The A.E.3, which was a development of the Royal Aircraft Factory's N.E.1 night fighter, was a two-seat single-engined pusher biplane. Three were built in 1918, but the type was unsuccessful, with no further production ensuing.

[...]

The first A.E.1 flew during April 1918, with the second prototype following on 1 June 1918, while the third prototype, which was powered by an Arab engine, and fitted with face-hardened armour, was finished later that month. By this time the Royal Aircraft Factory had been renamed the Royal Aircraft Establishment, and the A.E.1 was given the name Farnborough Ram, the only Royal Aircraft Factory designed aircraft to be given an official name, with the Arab powered aircraft being named Ram I and the Bentley powered aircraft Ram II.
More at the link.

And a 3-view;

http://geographicalimaginations.com/tag/thomas-raymond-phillips/

From Aeroplane Monthly,here is the RAE Larynx.

Attachments

• 116.png
    116.png
    628.9 KB · Views: 126
With its slab-sided fuselage, it looks most like the inline-powered S.E.5. As the caption says, the cowling was meant for a radial engine. Curious.

This snippet - "... the tunnel at the R.A.E. on a body with fixed radial engine in 1917." - suggests that this 'shape' was a portion of existing S.E.5A wind tunnel model modified to test a radial engine cowling concept.

From: The Cowling of Air‐Cooled Engines: A Summary of Wind Tunnel Tests of the Effect on Performance of Various Types, WGA Perring, RNC, AFRAeS, Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, 01 May 1932. The author was an Assistant Superintendent (Research) at the R.A.E.

My dears,

can we just imagine if it was S.E.7,because the drawing for S.E.5
with radial engine differs a little ?.

Attachments

• 14.png
    14.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 16.png
    16.png
    32 KB · Views: 58
We can imagine it, sure. That doesn't make it more than speculation.
True. My view is that any design features of a speculative SE7 would more than likely have been taken forward by the ex-RAF designers Folland, Lloyd and Green and appear in their Siddeley S.R.2 and Nieuport Nighthawk fighters.

From Aeroplane magazine 1930,

what was this ?.
Aeroplane March 12th 1930 reporting on lectures given at the Royal Aeronautical Society by Townend and Green.
The caption of the photograph appears to be a mistake, the text refers to the wind tunnel tests having been carried out in 1919. Probably part of the series of tests at the RAE to determine the main components of drag using modified models of the SE5, and others.

If it was not S.E.7 (although different front part of fuselage between it and
S.E.5 ?),how to obtain a drawings to S.E.6 & S.E.7 ?.

You read through the secondary literature to find them, or you go to consult the Royal Aircraft Factory's surviving papers.

My view is that any design features of a speculative SE7 would more than likely have been taken forward by the ex-RAF designers Folland, Lloyd and Green and appear in their Siddeley S.R.2 and Nieuport Nighthawk fighters.

Oh . . . :oops:
I was under the impression that the Siddelely S.R.2 WAS the SE.7 . . . :rolleyes:

cheers,
Robin.

before my computer crashed,I had a drawings to S.E.6 and S.E.7,but loss them,has
anyone a drawings for them ?.
Is this book contain a drawings to them ?.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 37
My view is that any design features of a speculative SE7 would more than likely have been taken forward by the ex-RAF designers Folland, Lloyd and Green and appear in their Siddeley S.R.2 and Nieuport Nighthawk fighters.

Oh . . . :oops:
I was under the impression that the Siddelely S.R.2 WAS the SE.7 . . . :rolleyes:

cheers,
Robin.
Yes, pretty much. I took the cautious approach with my phrasing ;)