Richfield Boron Gasoline jet aircraft?

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Well, I didn't know what to call this topic... Anyway, here's a picture found in a 1950s advertisement for Richfield Boron Gasoline. It depicts two imaginary jet fighters in flight, and although I suspect it must be a mere view of the artist's imagination, I was wondering if perhaps anyone here had seen that design elsewhere. What particularly puzzles me is the long, seemingly unfinished probe at the rear, behind the tail, for which I can see no function at all...

The image was a little enhanced from the original scan which was named "Escanear*", proof that it MUST have been saved from this very forum. So in advance please forgive me if the question has been answered before, but a search on "Richfield" produced no results...

Attachments

• Richfield Boron fighter.jpg
    Richfield Boron fighter.jpg
    735 KB · Views: 64
Actually it does. I'm attaching the original advertisement so you can see for yourself...

Attachments

• Escanear0013.jpg
    Escanear0013.jpg
    641.7 KB · Views: 42
Stargazer2006 said:
Actually it does. I'm attaching the original advertisement so you can see for yourself...
:) Thanks Stargazer2006. Didn't know it was used for motor gasoline. ???

I wonder if it was better or worse than lead as far as air pollution goes. :p

Another advert:

1681080228417.jpg

Upside, better than lead which, via TEL, is accumulatively toxic. Not quite as bad as Beryllium or Mercury, but still multi-generational...

Down-side, interesting contrails...

Off-topic: Wasn't until I researched Boron for a SciFi story detail that I learned the element is remarkably rare. Created atom by atom via cosmic-ray spalling of eg Carbon, leached from volcanic minerals and ash and concentrated by hydro-thermal processes...

IIRC, some's recently been found in the clay layers on walls of ancient Martian crater that once held a lake...

Another advert:

Nice!

I suppose this is typical of advert copy but Richfield seems to have intentionally blurred the distinction between boric acid as a lubricating additive - as Nik alluded - and boron as a propulsive fuel.

It is part of “white graphene” and Borazon harder than diamond with a much higher melting point. Just need the Twenty-mule team to carry it.

For a hybrid rocket with ablative nozzles, that can be less of an issue. Zip fuels are great for long term storage, and dice’ is found in the solar system:

This is why I have an interest in the idea of jacketed thrust…allowing gunk to slough off, etc.