Rheinhold Tilling's launcher and rocket 1932.

klem

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Burakowski and Sala in their book "Rakiety bojowe 1900-1970", quote Rheinhold Tilling's 1932 launcher and rocket with the following description: "propulsion - smp rocket engine. Launcher: 1-missile, tubular, winged under a Klemm type sports plane. The launcher was not used in combat, it was an inspiration for the subsequent use of the 21 cm WGr (R. 100M) missile ". Is there any other information or pictures about this device ?

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
"smp" in this book is an abbreviation of "stały materiał pędny" or solid propellant. ;)
The image itself, as many of the images and often very incorrect information included in "Rakiety bojowe", comes from Ordway's book and majority of the description accompanying it in "Rakiety..." is just an unsupported interpretation by Burakowski and Sala.

Attachments

• mdp.39015011128397-seq_150_800.jpg
    mdp.39015011128397-seq_150_800.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
"smp" in this book is an abbreviation of "stały materiał pędny" or solid propellant. ;)
The image itself, as many of the images and often very incorrect information included in "Rakiety bojowe", comes from Ordway's book and majority of the description accompanying it in "Rakiety..." is just an unsupported interpretation by Burakowski and Sala.
What do you mean by "is just an unsubstantiated interpretation by Burakowski and Sala". If the information reported on the Tilling device is erroneous at Ordway and/or at Burakowski and Sala. It's not clear. Can you be more explicit, What is the error and who is wrong? Thanks.

I just mean, the only information on the rocket given by Ordway is the one in the caption above: "In 1932 a Klemm sports plane was fitted to fire Tiling's rockets". Everything else comes from Burakowski and Sala.
The book "Rakiety bojowe" is full of pictures and information copied directly from Ordway, Ordway in turn, while including a lot of interesting information, is plagued with numerous mistakes - as e.g. PWM 1 (L) hand grenade and a body of an SC 500 bomb described as rockets or a carriage of a Skoda heavy gun identified as a rocket launcher.

I just mean, the only information on the rocket given by Ordway is the one in the caption above: "In 1932 a Klemm sports plane was fitted to fire Tiling's rockets". Everything else comes from Burakowski and Sala.
The book "Rakiety bojowe" is full of pictures and information copied directly from Ordway, Ordway in turn, while including a lot of interesting information, is plagued with numerous mistakes - as e.g. PWM 1 (L) hand grenade and a body of an SC 500 bomb described as rockets or a carriage of a Skoda heavy gun identified as a rocket launcher.
Well then the information of Burakowski and Sala is very faithful to the text of Ordway but the origin of the information of Ordway remains unknown because in all that I read on the development of rockets in Germany and even on the rockets from Tilling, I have never come across this device in my readings so if there is something to attribute it would not be on the side of Burakowski and Sala since they only reported information by a intermediate source.

Nice find Luftfahrtsammler. Thanks.

There is this book about Reinhold Tiling, maybe some of the forum's members have it on the shelf or can borrow it from a library to check if contains info about these rockets:

Klaus Tiling, Martin Frauenheim

Reinhold Tiling - Flieger und Forscher, Erfinder der Kammerrakete

Gnt- Verlag, 2013
Language : ‎ German
ISBN-13 : ‎ 978-3862251063

I suppose most of the book is about the postal rockets. After a short search on the web I found here the index:

Anstelle einer Widmung -- Flieger im Ersten Weltkrieg -- Aus dem Kriegstagebuch des Oberleutnants Dr. Adolf Sonnenschein (1916-1917) -- Berufung nach Osnabrück -- Flugleiter und Kunstflieger auf der Netterheide -- Luftverkehr auf der Netterheide 1925-1934 -- Die Segelfluggruppe 1925-1939 -- Die "Fliegerortsgruppe Osnabrück" im "Deutschen Luftsport-Verband" 1933-1937 -- Die "Motorfluggruppe" im Osnabrücker Verein für Luftfahrt 1928-1933 -- Die Raketen -- Die Flugmodelle -- Zeitlicher Ablauf der Entwicklungen -- Die Tilingsche Flugrakete -- Raketenschießen auf der Insel Wangerooge, Schriftverkehr mit den Behörden 1931-33 -- Explosionsunglück am 10. Oktober 1933 -- Zeitliche Ubersicht der Arbeiten von Reinhold Tiling -- Nachwort -- Anhang -- Literatur -- Die Autoren

Google translation:

Instead of a dedication -- Airmen in World War I -- From the war diary of Lieutenant Dr. Adolf Sonnenschein (1916-1917) -- appointment to Osnabrück -- flight controller and aerobatic pilot on the Netterheide -- air traffic on the Netterheide 1925-1934 -- the gliding group 1925-1939 -- the "Fliegerortsgruppe Osnabrück" in the "Deutscher Luftsport-Verband" 1933-1937 -- The "Motorfluggruppe" in the Osnabrück Aviation Association 1928-1933 -- The rockets -- The flight models -- Chronological sequence of developments -- Tiling's flight rocket -- Rocket shooting on the island of Wangerooge, correspondence with the authorities 1931- 33 -- Explosion accident on October 10, 1933 -- Chronological overview of Reinhold Tiling's work -- Afterword -- Appendix -- Literature -- The authors

EDIT: there is a youtube video with some pictures of the tests of the air-to-air rockets (form 3:22):

Tiling Rockets

Some screenshots from this video:

Attachments

• Tiling AA rocket 1 .jpg
    Tiling AA rocket 1 .jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Tiling AA rocket 2 .jpg
    Tiling AA rocket 2 .jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Tiling AA rocket 3 .jpg
    Tiling AA rocket 3 .jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 13