Restoring and Rearming HMS Caroline (1914)

nova10

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Greetings and salutations,

There has been talk that now the light C-class cruiser HMS Caroline has finally retired from her duties she is to become a full time tourist attraction. There is even speculation that she is to be moved to Portsmouth Dockyards and restored and rearmed to her configuration at the Battle of Jutland. Wikipedia mention that there are "a few 4" guns of that era that exist scattered around the UK available to be installed." Can anybody confirm this? Are there any 6" guns of that era that still exist that can be installed in her? To the best of my knowledge, at the Battle of Jutland she was armed with 3 BL 6in (152mm)/45 Mk XII guns (3x1), 6 QF 4in (102mm)/45 Mk V guns (6x1) and 4 × 21 in (533 mm) torpedo tubes. Let the search begin!!!

One suggestion I have read was for HMS Caroline to be kept in Belfast as an outstation of the Royal Navy Museum. This would follow a clean up and preservation effort, possibly to be carried out in Portsmouth.

I agree that re-arming her would make more sense and allow greater understanding of how she was used in action.