Republic Model 10, SST from 1963

Skybolt

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Just received from the Smithsonian... apparently it was designed for the 1963 FAA official National SST competition but never submitted (probably for too high level of investment required from companies side). It follows very strictly the initial specs of the competition: Mach 3.0 cruise, 150 passengers, 4000 miles max range. Derivation from the Republic TFX and D-24 Alliance configuration is apparent. And naturally, is a "never seen before by humans", to you by courtesy of Skybolt :p ;)

Attachments

• Republic.jpg
    Republic.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 438
  • Republic_2.jpg
    Republic_2.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 495
Damn cool stuff, thanks, Marco!

I like to see all the different contenders for a competition. Thanks a lot, Skybolt!

Ohhhh! Skybolt Real scoop. These are company's blue print! I like this design very much. Warp of wing is very sharp.

Looks a lot like a bigger version of their TFX proposal.

Looks a lot like a bigger version of their TFX proposal.
Sure, and wasn't the only project that draw from that.

Skybolt said:
Just received from the Smithsonian... apparently it was designed for the 1963 FAA official National SST competition but never submitted (probably for too high level of investment required from companies side). It follows very strictly the initial specs of the competition: Mach 3.0 cruise, 150 passengers, 4000 miles max range. Derivation from the Republic TFX and D-24 Alliance configuration is apparent. And naturally, is a "never seen before by humans", to you by courtesy of Skybolt :p ;)

Thanks!! WOW !!

http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/arch/findaids/pdf/Fairchild_Finding_Aid.pdf

[Box 414]
Folder 21 Republic SST REP-10, General Arrangement drawing, September 4, 1963
Folder 22 Republic SST REP-10, Landing Gear-Main drawing, September 4, 1963
Folder 23 Republic SST REP-10, Inboard Profile Supersonic Transport drawing, October 2, 1963
Folder 24 Republic SST REP-10, Structural Arrangement Fuselage – Schematic drawing, October 17, 1963
Folder 25 Republic SST REP-10, Nacelle-Landing Gear and Engine Arrangement, October 17, 1963
Folder 26 Republic SST REP-10, Fuselage and Cargo Space Arrangement drawing, October 21, 1963

overscan said:
http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/arch/findaids/pdf/Fairchild_Finding_Aid.pdf

[Box 414]
Folder 21 Republic SST REP-10, General Arrangement drawing, September 4, 1963
Folder 22 Republic SST REP-10, Landing Gear-Main drawing, September 4, 1963
Folder 23 Republic SST REP-10, Inboard Profile Supersonic Transport drawing, October 2, 1963
Folder 24 Republic SST REP-10, Structural Arrangement Fuselage – Schematic drawing, October 17, 1963
Folder 25 Republic SST REP-10, Nacelle-Landing Gear and Engine Arrangement, October 17, 1963
Folder 26 Republic SST REP-10, Fuselage and Cargo Space Arrangement drawing, October 21, 1963

What's irritating is that I will soon be located just a few hours drive from the NASM archive... but they're only open Tuesday through Friday.

overscan said:
When's your first day off work then Scott? ;D

The job I'll be going for - though I haven't actually gotten the paperwork making it official (this is irritating) is a 9 to 12 month contractor position. And since they are paying by the hour, there is no such thing as vacation or sick days... you don't work, you don't get paid. And that's fine... because if you work extra, you get paid extra. So if I can find a way to sleep in my car in the parking lot and get paid for it, you betcha that's what I'm going to do.

The result of that is that there will be no days off for me until one or more of the following:
1) The contract ends
2) I get fired (which, as a contractor, could come at any time and for any reason)
3) The plant is shut down for some reason
4) Work slows to a stop for some reason

It would be nice if #4 could happen once in a while, giving me a day off during the week. Barring that, assuming I don't get canned within the first couple of weeks, once the contract comes to an end I fully intend to raid the NASM archives, as well as NASA HQ, NARA, Martin archives in Baltimore, and others. All the museums can and will be visited on weekends, but the archives are only ever available during standard business hours.

I have the same issue here (weekdays only for archives), luckily I end work this friday and have a month off before I go to New Zealand. Hoping for some good archive raids...

Good news, everyone! The job was made official today. Also, found out that they take alternate Fridays off (work 5 9-hour days one week, 4 10-hour days the next). So it seems archvie raiding is in the realtively near future. Starting with NASM.

The engines seems to be P&W JTF17A from the drawing. I wonder horizontal tail stabilizer flutter.

Hi skybolt!

If it is possible write the project data: weight, speed,range......

I'll try to extract something meaningful from the drawings...

Are those engines mentioned based on any well-known engine or were they completely conceptual?

Don't tell me... the tube they were in took an infinite time to come along... someone must have scanned it searching for an AMRAAM... :D

Skybolt said:
Don't tell me... the tube they were in took an infinite time to come along...

Sadly, the drawings are kept folded, not rolled. Putting them on a regualr flatbed scanner or photocopier just ain't gonna happen, and even photography is sketchy. The only way to get this stuff would be to run it through a large format scanner... which I saw through an open doorway.

I'm to get high-speed internet access Sunday... if that comes to pass, I'll post more stuff. Assuming, of course, that doing so isn't judged neo-imperialist of me... :p

Attachments

• Img_3144a.jpg
    Img_3144a.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 220
sferrin said:
Are those engines mentioned based on any well-known engine or were they completely conceptual?

I think these engines have very similar shape to JTF17A(right side). Please compare this drawing with Model 10 side view drawing.

Attachments

• SST ENGINES.jpg
    SST ENGINES.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 191
If you cannot take hold on the large-format scanner, just drop a note, Scott...

One more to go, the D-24 "Alliance." Republic tried to get their money's worth out of this basic planform. VTOL fighter, fighter-bomber, SST and strategic bomber. And very likely more designs as well.

EDIT: One thing that occured to me after finished up the D-24 drawings: the D-24 seems to bear the same relationship to the TFX as the F-35 has to the F-22. The TFX/F-22 is the big air superiority monster, twin engined, balls-out for speed and power; the F-35/D-24 is the slightly smaller single engine slower VTOL-capable fighter. Hmmm....

Attachments

• rep10-Model.gif
    rep10-Model.gif
    91.5 KB · Views: 327
EDIT: One thing that occured to me after finished up the D-24 drawings: the D-24 seems to bear the same relationship to the TFX as the F-35 has to the F-22. The TFX/F-22 is the big air superiority monster, twin engined, balls-out for speed and power; the F-35/D-24 is the slightly smaller single engine slower VTOL-capable fighter. Hmmm....
An American version of Soviet-style design (use what you did till you can do it, and slightly further) ;)

Been locked down for a while.
Thank you all. BTW, the Republic three-engine surely isn't from 1966, despite what the caption on the Cradle of Aviation site says. Surely is post-1961, due to the VG wings. Maybe is contemporaneous or nearly to the AMPSS-derived Model 10. So probably 1963.