"Red Dawn" re-make

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Trailer for the re-make of Red Dawn

http://youtu.be/9dAwgPpv37U

Release delayed because of the financial problems of MGM.

It would have made more sense if the film's original antagonist was the People's Republic of China. Due to vocal complaints by the state-run Chinese press and fearing that the film would be banned from the Chinese cinema market, MGM wimped out and changed the antagonist from the PRC to North Korea. This required a $1 million CGI modification of the film to replace insignia, posters, and flags from the PRC to North Korea.

I understand that in the original version of the film the People's Republic of China invades the United States because it has become insolvent to its Chinese creditors. This original version has been denounced as racist xenophobia akin to the "Yellow Peril" propaganda of the 1930's and potentially harmful to relations between the United States and the People's Republic of China. However, I am reminded of the Franco-Mexican War that followed Mexican President Benito Juárez's suspension of interest payments to foreign countries on 17 July 1861, that angered creditors in Spain, the United Kingdom, and France. Do we denounce alternate history mass entertainment because it is politically incorrect, yet it reflects very genuine fears generated by the world-wide financial collapse? Are techno-thrillers, war games, and video games featuring the PRC as the antagonist racist xenophobia and harmful to relations between the United States and China? Should these products be censored, or re-written, because of the risk of offending the Chinese government or being denied access to the Chinese market?

Attachments

• reddawn4.jpg
    reddawn4.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 232
  • reddawn5.jpg
    reddawn5.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 231
  • red-dawn-2010-remake-propaganda-posters.jpg
    red-dawn-2010-remake-propaganda-posters.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 232
  • DSC_4255.jpg
    DSC_4255.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 227
  • red-dawn-freedom-lie.png
    red-dawn-freedom-lie.png
    141.4 KB · Views: 227
  • poster4.jpg
    poster4.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 13
  • xlargea.jpg
    xlargea.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 25
  • xlarge.jpg
    xlarge.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 32
This is not a re-make of the movie Red Dawn from 1984, IMHO this is more a movie of the computer game "Homefront". :-\

This belong in the category: "Movies, the world don't need"

The revised Red Dawn re-make and the video/computer game Homefront seem to deal with similar themes, such as an invasion of the United States by North Korea (or the fictional Greater Korean Republic led by Kim Jong-un.) I am not certain of a connection between the two projects, but it seems likely. Perhaps the title of the video/computer game was changed because the release of the movie was delayed by the financial problems of MGM?

What pure unadulterated crap. That's the actor from Thor would have made the movie interesting if he became Thor to fight the Norks ;D

bobbymike said:
What pure unadulterated crap.

Indeed. China invading the USA is at least not a whoilly ridiculous concept... nearly two billion taking on 310 million is fair odds. But Nork? Sorry, but the west coast gangbangers and bitter-clingers would reduce their invasion force to tattered shreds.

Alternate Reality Yamamoto was right when he fictionally said: "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

Laughing at the irony of China being considered the enemy in the remake, given that the were America's ally in the original.

"Yeah, we've got six hundred million screaming Chinamen on our side."

"I thought there were eight hundred million screaming Chinamen."

"There were."

I still remember my best friend turning to me at that point and saying "You know what that means, don't you?"

Oh yeah. I knew what that meant.