210406-F-ZS999-0012.jpg
    854.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 210406-F-ZS999-0013.jpg
    210406-F-ZS999-0013.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 86
  • 210406-F-ZS999-0014.jpg
    210406-F-ZS999-0014.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 116
Thank you a billion times Flateric for that gem ! There is even a brief mention of HIRES - Hypersonic Inflight Refueling System !

(makes a mental note to comb the web for more Tony Landis stuff).

Last edited:
Warning: I never, ever pretented to be smarter than the lot. It is not my kind of arrogance or siliness.

This carefully noted

I can't help thinking that most of the designs in that document are
a) aerodynamic quagmires
b) overly complicated (engines, separated stages)
c) few if none of them could actually be build - in their times as much as today.

What I wanted to say is the following. I kind of embraced suborbital refueling as a rejection of what's shown in that document.

I do acknowledge that the said refueling is probably tricky.

But, one of the advantages of going this way is - the simplicity of the basic rocketplane.
Just jets-and-rockets, both with kerosene, plus the oxidizer - out of a very ordinary runway.
Takeoff on the jets, accelerate as fast as it reasonably possible (mach 3 on jets alone, perhaps mach 4 using MIPCC) and then boom, light the rocket - and go into orbit with a single suborbital pit stop: by an identical rocketplane configured as a tanker with a refueling kit.

Looking at the document, I can't see any other way of achieving USAF old RASV-TAV-ALSV dream of the late 70's.

"Runway to orbit !"

To me the most interesting tidbit is the "Titan II recoverable booster".
See attached, plus my little calculations (and my feelings about the rocket equation, too).

Attachments

• Titan II R.PNG
    Titan II R.PNG
    38 KB · Views: 99
Hazegrayart said:
Boeing Recoverable Launch Booster
The Boeing doublebody, winged booster, known as Model 832-40 made use of a Dyna-Soar glider as the crew module and escape capsule.
Powered by twin clusters made up of 4 Rocketdyne J-2B rocket engines for vertical boost and 3 hydrogen-fueled, General Electric MF239C Turbofan engines for horizontal flight and landing. Designed for use with a variety of upper stages.
Source: https://media.defense.gov/2021/Apr/06/2002615086/-1/-1/0/RECOVERABLE BOOSTERS.PDF
Video:
View: https://youtu.be/cbklYfuXEBo?si=TVq44XfhUhp1vuJy

Link:
Code:
https://youtu.be/cbklYfuXEBo?si=TVq44XfhUhp1vuJy
Dear members and mods, if this post is in the false topic, please let me know, so I can delete or move this post to a more suitable topic.

Boeing went the pragmatic way and would use a Dynasoar a) as a makeshift cockpit and b) as an escape vehicle in case of KABOOM. If no problem, then the DynaSoar is just like an airliner cockpit: not detachable.

What goes into orbit is the black spaceplane on the flank of the weird booster.

Last edited: