Recent Films and TV Shows that were good...

Long review of Oppenheimer by Dr. Mark Schneider
Dr. Mark B. Schneider is a Senior Analyst with the National Institute for Public Policy. Before his retirement from the Department of Defense Senior Executive Service, Dr. Schneider served as Principal Director for Forces Policy, Principal Director for Strategic Defense, Space and Verification Policy, Director for Strategic Arms Control Policy and Representative of the Secretary of Defense to the Nuclear Arms Control Implementation Commissions. He also served in the senior Foreign Service as a Member of the State Department Policy Planning Staff.
That's a fairly devastating review of both the movie and the man... and of Hollywood in general.

Perhaps we might not be seeing so many in the near future.

Some of the reasoning behind cancellations and deletions isn't a world away from Mel Brooks.

Speaking of Mel Brooks, "History of the World: Part II" is now available as an eight-episode TV sequel on Hulu. We now truly live in Modern Times...

I agree with some of the technical points, but he should have noticed that the film is called Oppenheimer and not Trinity.

The casting of Matt Damon as Leslie Groves was odd, I thought - too short, too slim and far too nice. By most accounts he was not very likeable at all. Brian Dennehy was much better in HBO's Day One.

a dam good Show is SILO
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZYhuvIv1pA

People living in large underground Silo, why ? unknown.
Fact the Management not wanted that questions is ask or answered !
and send troublemaker in spacesuit to surface to died...

...but eventually every system either political or Technological starts to fail.

The Hugh Howley book trilogy Wool/Shift/Dust made for enjoyable and interesting reading, it will be interesting to see how Silo translates into visual media

I just watched this. It's a BBC documentary on the human factors aspects aspects of deep space/long duration missions. It deals mainly with the psychology of isolation but hibernation comes up near the end. There's also a little on how people might need AI 'companions' that can be confidants while not being part of the human crew in the case of ESA's CIMON. That led me to wonder if animal companions might be a good idea, despite the chaos they might cause... (I'm thinking more alongs the lines of Jonesy the ginger cat rather than 'This is Roger, my emotional support sperm whale. He can make sounds so loud that they will rupture your organs, but he's generally pretty good-natured.')

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIm65vNukHA

It's available on BBC iPlayer, but access could be restricted based on location. This is how you can watch it in New Zealand, and you might be able to do something similar elsewhere in the world.

Last edited:
Whether or not you think Foundation is good (it takes considerable liberties with Isaac Asimov's books), this might be of interest. The Imperial starships take inspiration from gyroscopes, and in the case of the Invictus, the angels or Ophanim described in Ezekiel.

Attachments

• 124156346_208435340696866_6479301944494378823_o.jpg
    124156346_208435340696866_6479301944494378823_o.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 8
  • Ophanim 2.jpg
    Ophanim 2.jpg
    804.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2023-10-01 at 12.50.55 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-01 at 12.50.55 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • paul-chadeisson-asset (4).jpg
    paul-chadeisson-asset (4).jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 8
Coming on Apple TV+ on 1/26/24: Masters of the Air, a series about the 100th Bomb Group, 8th Air Force, in WWII, produced by Spielberg and Hanks. Might be worth a watch.

Coming on Apple TV+ on 1/26/24: Masters of the Air, a series about the 100th Bomb Group, 8th Air Force, in WWII, produced by Spielberg and Hanks. Might be worth a watch.

Pictures from the production and a short article

I liked Silo.

The live action version of the Manga/Anime classic One Piece however is AWESOME.

Back
Top Bottom