Recent Films and TV Shows that were good...

Paints his own figures if you believe it.

It is perhaps disconcerting to imagine a celebrity having a regular-person hobby, but self-made celebrities started out as regular people. Given the usual celebrity options such as whoring and rampant drug use and stumping for idiot politicians and even more idiotic political causes... painting miniature armies of augmented space marines is downright refreshing.

It is perhaps disconcerting to imagine a celebrity having a regular-person hobby, but self-made celebrities started out as regular people. Given the usual celebrity options such as whoring and rampant drug use and stumping for idiot politicians and even more idiotic political causes... painting miniature armies of augmented space marines is downright refreshing.
It is a little disconcerting. You'd expect, him being a gazillionaire now, that he'd succumb to paying someone to do it for him. Most modellers here would know though, it's just not right to get someone else to paint your models. They're your space marine detachment god damn it and if their paint jobs are shit then they'll wear it with pride anyway for the honor of the emperor!

Speaking of Henry Cavill, the 2015, "The Man from U.N.C.L.E.", is a fun little movie.

220px-The_Man_from_U.N.C.L.E._poster.jpg

He definitely painted and collected them as a kid, whether he has time to do it now...? Either way, he will be a strong voice for sticking to the franchise material, as The Witcher production team found out.

Warhammer 40K is set for the TV show treatment with Amazon and Henry Cavill.

I look forward to seeing if Amazon does as good a job translating the world of 40K as they did Middle Earth.
Apparently Henry Cavill is also executive producer and has control over it. Unlike The Witcher, he isn't just a hired actor. And he's been a Warhammer 40k nerd for decades.
You really think he'd lie? Why?

Warhammer 40K is set for the TV show treatment with Amazon and Henry Cavill.

I look forward to seeing if Amazon does as good a job translating the world of 40K as they did Middle Earth.
Apparently Henry Cavill is also executive producer and has control over it. Unlike The Witcher, he isn't just a hired actor. And he's been a Warhammer 40k nerd for decades.
You really think he'd lie? Why?
LOL. Same as "would you believe it". Obviously a little too obscure.

he will be a strong voice for sticking to the franchise material, as The Witcher production team found out.

Imagine what we could have had if there were more franchise-sticklers in positions that mattered. Imagine a world with *good* Star Wars, Halo, Star Trek, LotR, Dr. Who. Instead... the best Star Trek out there right now are two *animated* shows (which are actually both pretty good Star trek, but being animated, they're B-tier).

What would be a blast is if Cavill somehow gets the guy behind the "Astartes" short film onboard. The 40K fandom would lose their minds.

Good TV series are rare . We get Garbage were studios put millions in hand of incompetent █████ morons...

My Personal selection on TV series i watch:

Star Trek despite Alex Kurzmann massacre
It got two good Series:
ST: Strange New World
ST: Prodigy

For All Mankind

Hell the Mother of Alternate History TV series, special it got no ██ in it !
I looking on you Amazon Prime...

The Orville
The far better Star Trek for moment
That is your fault Alex Kurzmann !

Star Wars or what is left over by Kathly Kennedy Feminism...
Mandalorian
a new hope
ANDOR a slow burner but give dam good inside view of the evil Imperium.

Wednesday
despite flawed and disastrous Finale, lovely dark humour and homage to Charles Addams work.

Good Old TV classics everyone hast to see or be dammed !

Babylon 5
Battlestar Galactica
(both series !)
Buck Rogers ( the 1930s serial and 1979 version)
Das Blaue Palais (learn German and see how terrifying Science become, if push to far )
Dr Who (everything, until 2017 as that woman arrived, from here is ██ junk)
Flash Gordon (the 1930 serial)
Ijon Tichy: Raumpilot (learn German and enjoy Stanislaw Lem in overtop humour satire)
Le Grand Secret (learn French to enjoy it)
Le Tribunal de l'impossible (learn French to enjoy french X-files, predating it by 20 years !)
Noires sont les galaxies (learn French to understand that first contact can be very gruesome)
Once Upon a Time... Space (yes it's animated but become dam good like Babylon 5)
Stargate and Stargate Atlantis
Star Trek
(everything - except STD, Picard, Lower Decks...)
Space: 1999.
Raumpatrouille
(learn German and enjoy it)
Telerop 2009 – Es ist noch was zu retten (learn German and be relieve the world became NOT like this)
Twilight Zone, the Classics Black and White warned us about today madness.
The Outer Limits, same warning, we ignored it.
UFO, still dam good Show !

Note: on 06052023, i was forced by moderator to remove so called Trigger words.

Last edited:
he will be a strong voice for sticking to the franchise material, as The Witcher production team found out.

Imagine what we could have had if there were more franchise-sticklers in positions that mattered. Imagine a world with *good* Star Wars, Halo, Star Trek, LotR, Dr. Who. Instead... the best Star Trek out there right now are two *animated* shows (which are actually both pretty good Star trek, but being animated, they're B-tier).

What would be a blast is if Cavill somehow gets the guy behind the "Astartes" short film onboard. The 40K fandom would lose their minds.
Oh please let it be so.

I have watched and enjoyed the following in recent years.

Arcane (Netflix)
Who knew that a videogame that produces and has one of the most toxic fanbases would produce one of if not the BEST animated series. Knew nothing of this series until one of my friends mentioned that League of Legends new animated series had come out and was doing very well. A week later after asking him what its name was after forgetting I went ahead and watched it. Been so long since I have seen something that is so close to sublime and enrapturing. The depth and nuance of the writing, characters and story-telling, combined with gorgeous animation makes this a new classic and benchmark for storytelling and animation for the ages.

Chernobyl (HBO)
Another excellent series about a human disaster created by bureaucratic negligence and incompetence, all juxtaposed with the bravery of those who work to mitigate the worst of the damage and find out what happened. The scars of that disaster with last for centuries.

For All Mankind (Apple TV)
A decent alternate history series in which the Soviets win the race to the moon. What happens after is what happens when two superpowers devote the utmost to one-upping the other in space with the effects of the race and technology reverberating. All in all, pretty decent although Season Three is the most conventional (by Hollywood trope standards) and speculative, suffering from the weaknesses more inherit with trying to mine and force drama out of the characters and setting with mixed results.

There are undoubtedly more I need to watch but much competes for my time sadly.

Perhaps a bit beyond the time frame for this thread, but "Oblivion" (2013) retains perhaps the best ending ever. A guy faces down a cosmic horror, spouts Horatius at the bridge at it, gets backed up by one of the best soundtracks in all theatrical history, and goes out like a boss. With bonus Morgan Freeman Shit-Eatin' Grin right at the moment of truth, and backup character Nikolaj Coster-Waldau standing at his own bridge, also ready to go out like an absolute boss.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZEuYGAoq2I

When I'm positioned to force Hollywood to make my movies, the scene where someone comes face to face with a Lovecraftian space god will *have* to have a soundtrack like this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izE6CEELz-c

Just finished the 1st season of new (ish 2021) CSI Vegas and thoroughly enjoyed it. Nothing new really but well done with a good story to link them together. Vegas was always my favourite! 10x 40min episodes. Gil and Sara return!

Four or five episodes in and Tulsa King on Paramount+ is hilarious. Sly Stallone is a NYC mobster exiled to Tulsa after 25 years in prison.

Rogue Heroes a British series released this year, directed by Steven Knight creator of the "Peaky Blinders" and "Taboo" series. This is the story of the British Special Forces (S.A.S) during World War II. A plan to recruit brilliant soldiers for undercover operations based on the element of surprise and thus cause the enemy significant damage.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTWqFccBsgg

Didn't think much of it.

Jeremy Renner has been in the news lately. Fortunately, he survived his incident and will heal without too many complications and resume his acting career. Tragic actor runaway vehicle lesson: If your vehicle starts rolling away and doesn't look like it will hurt someone else, let it roll away. Cars get restored like new every day. Bodies are a lot harder to repair and sometimes can't be fixed at all.

Renner is known for being Hawkeye, Dahmer, and an explosive ordnance officer in The Hurt Locker, but he was also in a little known cop show called "The Unusuals": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Unusuals

Its 10 episodes are available free on the Crackle network: https://www.crackle.com/details/b797acdb-3449-42ee-a66c-10b71743325b/the-unusuals

You have to sign up for a free account to watch.

Attachments

• The Unusuals.jpg
    The Unusuals.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 13
Devotion(2022) narrates the story and struggles of Jesse Brown, the first USN black aviator during the Korean War.
In their first mission, while peppered by AA fire, a daring atack on a bridge across Yalu river is attempted, with success, causing China to declare war on the US, even thou not a single of their men were harmed ...

Slow Horses on Apple TV. Modern spy series. MI5 agents who have been exiled to Slough House (their nicknames being The Slow Horses) for “screwing up” find themselves in the middle of various national security incidents.

Great cast led by Gary Oldman as Jackson Lamb the older cynical former spy who knows where all the bodies are buried.

Read a few of the books by Mick Herron series is based on.

Slow Horses on Apple TV. Modern spy series. MI5 agents who have been exiled to Slough House (their nicknames being The Slow Horses) for “screwing up” find themselves in the middle of various national security incidents.

Great cast led by Gary Oldman as Jackson Lamb the older cynical former spy who knows where all the bodies are buried.

Read a few of the books by Mick Herron series is based on.
Speaking of definitely-not-Bond spies, (much as I like Bond), there's this one where Obi-Wan Kenobi met Jean-Luc Picard (Gary Oldman has also played George Smiley of course).

Attachments

• Dndi6PkW0AEhSKb.jpg
    Dndi6PkW0AEhSKb.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 13
on Netflix ...

Expanse, a slow start but becomes addictive

Altered Carbon, first season better than second watchable

Another Life, again watchable

Pine Gap, short run Aussie series set at the NSA. site

Apple TV ...

For All Mankind, first 2 seasons excellent, definitely looking forward to season 4

Last edited:
For all Mankind is my favourite; almost as if it were written JUST FOR ME! I don't own a TV so I can only watch it at my Sister's house when I'm baby-sitting or house-sitting :(

Terry (Caravellarella)

Last week I went and saw "Puss In boots: the Last Wish" and, apart from the *insanely* high cost (nearly twenty bucks for a seat and a soda, nothing else), it was a damned fine show. The depiction of Death was freakin' *awesome.*

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAZy4Un5ipo

I wonder what would happen if you allowed billionaires without a lick of talent the ability to create TV shows.

:)

Pine Gap, short run Aussie series set at the NSA. site
I enjoyed this one as well. They take some pretty big liberties with some of the capabilities but it was a pretty amusing show.

My kids went to see it on their own - seems like I should have tagged along.

If you could afford it (debatable these days... it's available *NOW* not only for streaming, but the 4K disk is $20... barely more than I paid for one seat and a medium soda). It was very much an adult movie in a kid-movie wrapper.

A lot of people are overflowing with praise for its depiction of a panic attack when Puss feels fear for the first time. Never had one of those, so It's outside my area of expertise... but the whole scene was *damned* effective.

A Spy Among Friends, Amazon Prime.

The Kim Philby story with Guy Pierce as Philby (like him since LA Confidential) and Damien Lewis (liked him since Band of Brothers)

The Swarm or Der Schwarm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Swarm_(TV_series)

Of course it's got all the pulpy stuff you need to get funding but ideologically I like it because it shows scientists being scientists throughout working to a solution, not just to provide exposition or some hand-wavey magic solution at the end. Good cast and characters, interesting ideas about meeting a powerful non-human intelligence.

Alice in Borderland (Netflix)

I really enjoyed this. A surreal, very inventive Hunger Games/Battle Royale style 2 season thriller from Japan based on a Manga comic.

While watching i was intrigued as to how it was going to be resolved as the premise was so extreme but it all came together really well with a satisfying ending. Highly recommended.

I really enjoyed the TV show The Last of Us. Of course, I would have liked more action. I hope they fix that in season 2. I also started watching the Luke Cage series. It's a little raw, but if you don't think about it and just watch it, it's not a bad series.

Back
Top Bottom