That was apparently the plan first time around (c2011) but with the new tankers coming with booms, more or less stock F-35As (with the Norwegian drag chute) are the plan this time.

It might actually be cheaper to add the booms on the tankers than to modify the F-35A to fit the probe.
I've heard that the space where the -C probe sits is just empty space with a fuel line at the back of it in the F-35A, so it wouldn't be a particularly difficult retrofit.

More info on each airframe. Via a post on another group;

002 is a stock A330-200 passenger aircraft. The only modifications before delivery is a coat of paint.

001 will be our VIP (air frame), and will be fitted with secure communication systems among other modifications.
When 001 enters service, 002 will be sent back to Spain for MRTT modifications.
It will receive the "hi viz government of Canada" livery.

002-009 will be operational MRTT. New and used aircraft will be sent to Spain for MRTT equipment installation.
All 8 should be painted tactical Grey (as far as I know, there's no plan for commemorative hi viz livery at the moment).

I've heard that the space where the -C probe sits is just empty space with a fuel line at the back of it in the F-35A, so it wouldn't be a particularly difficult retrofit.
The refit is probably still best done at the factory.
For comparison, which type of refuelling system is installed in the other F-35s exported to: Israel, Norway, The UK, etc.

Courtesy of Ottawa Aviation FB page

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_1015.jpeg
    IMG_1015.jpeg
    264.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1006.jpeg
    IMG_1006.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1007.jpeg
    IMG_1007.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1008.jpeg
    IMG_1008.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1009.jpeg
    IMG_1009.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1010.jpeg
    IMG_1010.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1011.jpeg
    IMG_1011.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1012.jpeg
    IMG_1012.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1013.jpeg
    IMG_1013.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1014.jpeg
    IMG_1014.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 15
The refit is probably still best done at the factory.
For comparison, which type of refuelling system is installed in the other F-35s exported to: Israel, Norway, The UK, etc.
Oh, definitely best done during initial construction or depot overhaul at the factory. My point was more that the space is already there for a refueling probe and there's not anything else in that volume that would need to be moved around.

I believe that the UK's F-35As have the boom receptacle, as do the Israeli and Norwegian planes.

Oh, definitely best done during initial construction or depot overhaul at the factory. My point was more that the space is already there for a refueling probe and there's not anything else in that volume that would need to be moved around.

I believe that the UK's F-35As have the boom receptacle, as do the Israeli and Norwegian planes.

I'm not aware of any F-35As with a probe instead of the boom receptacle.

Also, the UK has so far only ordered Bs, no As.

All F-35As have just the boom receptacle at this stage. I have it on good authority that it would be possible to fit the F-35B/C's probe but for someone to do that they would have to pay to be different.

All F-35As have just the boom receptacle at this stage. I have it on good authority that it would be possible to fit the F-35B/C's probe but for someone to do that they would have to pay to be different.
Which is why the Canadian F-35s have the boom receptacle, not the Probe.

I made the mistake of checking out a CBC reporter's X tweet (?) . The mistake wasn't reading what she had written about the aircraft.
It was the comments .
The utter hatred directed at Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and indirectly any purchase that may even indirectly provide transportation with anything approaching comfort .
Apparently the fact that we will be acquiring not not just improved troop transport and aerial refueling but an entirely new capabilities boom . On top of that more aircraft as well.
Conclusion ; People are stupid and vile.
Oh and by the way ,I despise our current Prime Minister...yeah.

Last edited:
Right then. Can't unsee that one. "Wedgie" it is.

(Sorry, still doesn't top EA-18G "Growler". Offensive on both sides of the pond. Offensive in Oz would make a trifecta. Maybe the "Drop Growler"?)
In Canada, a “Growler” means a pre-loaded, small beer keg.
“Growlers” would only survive in RCAF usage until the first arrest - for drunken driving - on the way home from squadron festivities.
Hah!
Hah!