Raytheon Peregrine MR AAM

GeorgeA

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score

Length 6 ft., weight about 150 lb., vs. 12-ft., 335-lb. AIM-120. "Multi-mode" seeker and "high-performance propulsion", no other details. Blast fragmentation warhead vs. hit-to-kill (e.g., CUDA).

The Peregrine missile is being pitched to U.S. and international customers that want AIM-120 performance in a smaller package to double missile loads in the internal weapon bays of stealth fighters or triple the magazine depth on the external weapon stations of nonstealth aircraft, says Mark Noyes, vice president of business development and strategy for Raytheon Missile Systems.

“What we see it as is a complement to our [AIM-120] Amraam and AIM-9X,” Noyes says.

If I were running marketing for this, I'd have a model F-15EX with a loadout of these things on display today.

Peregrine “combines the range and the autonomy of the AMRAAM with the maneuverability characteristics of the AIM-9X” with extreme maneuverability as it approaches its target. The weapon will cost “significantly less" to buy and maintain than the AIM-120 or AIM-9X, and is faster to develop, thanks to ready-made components and additive manufacturing.

The Peregrine will have a multi-mode, autonomous seeker that includes infrared imaging. It uses a “new, high-performance propulsion system" to boost speed, Noyes said. He would only characterize the missile's range as “from visual range to within medium range” but said Peregrine is a supersonic munition.

The all-weather, day or night weapon has a blast fragmentation warhead and a “new lightweight airframe and high-performance modular control system” that allows for highly accurate targeting, Noyes said.

Peregrine is meant to complement, not replace, the AMRAAM and Sidewinder. The AIM-9X will still be the world’s best close-in dogfighting missile, Noyes said. It remains to be seen if the Peregrine will match the Sidewinder in close-range maneuverability.

If I were running marketing for this, I'd have a model F-15EX with a loadout of these things on display today.

Or an internal bay of an F-35 stuffed with these things given the customer base and the fact that the global fleet is growing at about 150 a year

Since it's a dual mode missile would assume it could replace the AIM-9X if needed. That would make the max internal load for a F-22 of 14 Peregrines. A more likely scenario might be 4 AIM-260's and 6 Peregrines. Think they could get a lot of traction with the AF for those combinations.

they continue the tradition of using animal/bird/reptile/fish nicknames, HAWK, Sidewinder, Griffin, Coyote, Sparrow, Maverick, Phoenix, Falcon, Shrike, Pike :cool:

Last edited:
AW&ST's report:

" ... A “new, high-performance propulsion section” will accelerate the Peregrine to supersonic speed to achieve potentially slightly better range than the AIM-120, but Noyes declined to describe the specific type of propulsion technology selected for the new missile.
...Even at a range equivalent to that of the AIM-120, the Peregrine should provide similar endgame maneuverability as the super agile AIM-9X, Noyes says. “It will go supersonic and that’s attributable to that new lightweight airframe and high-performance modular control system,” he says. “That permits it [to] go and do incredible maneuvers, especially at the endgame where it’s needed most.” ..."

EEmGx9WWsAA3Q8r.jpg:large

EEmGx9WWwAERaFP.jpg:large

If it can do what they claim it will be a game changer. Can it be used by aircraft without A2A radar?

At that size, you can add a pretty significant booster and get some serious range out of it, or add a ground-launch booster and use it for SHORAD.

If it can do what they claim it will be a game changer. Can it be used by aircraft without A2A radar?

At that size, you can add a pretty significant booster and get some serious range out of it, or add a ground-launch booster and use it for SHORAD.

Depending on the cost, it should be a very capable ground launched CM point-defense system without the booster.

Last edited:
They say it is not an AIM-120 replacement, but if it has a dual mode seeker and similar range, how is it not? I'm quite skeptical it could have anything like that range while still containing a warhead. Also the mock up doesn't have any apparent EO/IR sensor on it. I'll believe it when I see it.

Maybe they are comparing it to the AIM-120 A/B? Say a 20 lb warhead vs the 40-50 lb on AMRAAM and say 50 nmi range vs 40 nmi (A/B) or ~86 nmi (D)?

They could be targeting the export market, lots of countries out there with older model Sidewinders and AMRAAMs. If I was Boeing, I'd be loading up a model of the T-7A with them.

Is there any chance that this system has some kind of ducting that pops open and that this a ramjet? That's the only way I see such a small airframe having a range approaching AIM-120.

Is there any chance that this system has some kind of ducting that pops open and that this a ramjet? That's the only way I see such a small airframe having a range approaching AIM-120.

Hit-to-kill means a much smaller warhead. Seeker electronics have also shrunk somewhat. And rocket propulsion has improved a lot. Hence the radical improvement in AIM-120 over its life, and the even newer AIM-260 being billed as having significantly better range than AMRAAM in the same basic footprint.

They say it is not an AIM-120 replacement, but if it has a dual mode seeker and similar range, how is it not? I'm quite skeptical it could have anything like that range while still containing a warhead. Also the mock up doesn't have any apparent EO/IR sensor on it. I'll believe it when I see it.

Not just similar, Raytheon states that it has greater range and higher speed than AMRAAM.

"Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) is developing a new medium-range, air-launched weapon called the Peregrine™ missile that is half the size and cost of today's air-to-air missiles, yet delivers greater range and effect.

Developed to strengthen the capabilities of current fighter aircraft, the new, smaller Peregrine missile is faster and more maneuverable than legacy medium-range, air-to-air missiles, and doubles the weapons loadout on a variety of fighter platforms. Its sophisticated, miniaturized guidance system can detect and track targets at any time of day and in any weather condition."

AW&ST also reported Peregrine has potentially slightly better range than the AIM-120.

Raytheon's missile family certainly is embracing a look, those look like scaled down ESSMs or mini-Standards.

Hit-to-kill means a much smaller warhead. Seeker electronics have also shrunk somewhat. And rocket propulsion has improved a lot. Hence the radical improvement in AIM-120 over its life, and the even newer AIM-260 being billed as having significantly better range than AMRAAM in the same basic footprint.
One article specifically stated it is NOT hit-to-kill. That, and just eye-balling it, I would think it would be both draggier and have less endgame maneuverability than CUDA.
e5318b56b1da5ff3a1c93190a6699612.jpg

Whoops, you're right that it's not hit-to-kill. Warhead still smaller though, suggesting smaller miss distance.

This might be a mock worthy comment but could you have a small pivoting/rotating (depending on the angle of miss) EFP type warhead? A copper slug moving at 3km/s would wreck someone’s day.

I think that would be needlessly complex compared to annular blast/frag. Certainly heavier if had to rotate inside the missile body.

I'm not convinced this weapon is everything they say it is - because if is, the US should just be buying it now. It is described as a multi-spectral seeker with more range and maneuverability than AIM-120 at half the price and size with less maintenance. If that's true then I'm sure it will be purchased by someone.

The configuration here resembles that of the Standard missile, although that airframe dates all the way back to the Terrier from the late 1950s. Interestingly, the mock-up doesn't appear to have thrust vectoring nozzle vanes, so I'm a bit skeptical that it can really match the AIM-9X's maneuverability at close range.

The configuration here resembles that of the Standard missile, although that airframe dates all the way back to the Terrier from the late 1950s. Interestingly, the mock-up doesn't appear to have thrust vectoring nozzle vanes, so I'm a bit skeptical that it can really match the AIM-9X's maneuverability at close range.
I honestly wouldn't expect that level of detail on a mock-up.

This might be a mock worthy comment but could you have a small pivoting/rotating (depending on the angle of miss) EFP type warhead? A copper slug moving at 3km/s would wreck someone’s day.
Some warheads already have EFP rings over their section. Not rotating tho.

As for missile - itis described as all in all being better than everything and also smaller and cheaper. I don't buy it.

Since the article left out which version of the AMRAAM they are talking about, I assume it was deliberate by Raytheon. This missile could very well be better than the A/B versions of the AIM-120 while still being less capable than the D version, so statement is still true but misleading. So the AIM-120D and AIM-9X combo would still be better than this missile, but this missile would be better than the earlier model AIM-9 and AIM-120s. A do-it-all missile, smaller than the Sidewinder, with early AMRAAM range, would be quite valuable in the export market and be a nice complement to the AIM-120D and AIM-9X while not directly competing with either.

Since the article left out which version of the AMRAAM they are talking about, I assume it was deliberate by Raytheon. This missile could very well be better than the A/B versions of the AIM-120 while still being less capable than the D version, so statement is still true but misleading. So the AIM-120D and AIM-9X combo would still be better than this missile, but this missile would be better than the earlier model AIM-9 and AIM-120s. A do-it-all missile, smaller than the Sidewinder, with early AMRAAM range, would be quite valuable in the export market and be a nice complement to the AIM-120D and AIM-9X while not directly competing with either.
Not sure this would be primarily export driven.
Would the US really sell this to countries they wouldn’t at least sell AIM-120Cs to?
Wouldn’t a lot of US export clients have already bought later AIM-120Cs and AIM-9X (or equivalents re: the later) and may not be especially keen to have a 3rd missile that sits between them?
The logical driver is (1) internal carriage of larger numbers in F-35s and F-22s and/or (2) as an alternative to the AIM-9X if convinced it’s going to to be BVR all the way and happy to sacrifice a bit of end game close in maneuverability for extra reach.
I suppose there is 3rd; (3) 1st day of war against superior numbers of less significantly less capable BVR opponents, but that at least appears to be more of a US-centric requirement for now.
I would have thought that the operators of the likes of Typhoons, Rafales, Gripen etc would be happier with the significantly longer reach of Meteors and then plan to run away....

Maybe not EFP, but Raytheon has experience with that general idea. SM2 Block IIIA already has a directional blast-frag warhead that focuses its fragmentation toward the target. (Based on many public statements.)

Can it be rail mounted like the sidewinders and amraam? 14 on a raptor is a heck of a force multiplier. Or a hypothetical pca designed to carry 16.

Defense & Aerospace Report said:
Raytheon's Noyes on New Peregrine Missile to Replace Sidewinder, AMRAAM; Joint Strike Missile
Col. Mark "Maybe" Noyes, USAF Ret., vice president for business development and strategy at Raytheon Missile Systems, discusses the company's new Peregrine air-to-air missile, a small weapon that could replace both the AIM-9X Sidewinder and AIM-120 Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missile that would allow stealthy combat aircraft to carry more anti-air weapons internally, and the market outlook for the Joint Strike Missile by Raytheon and Norway's Kongsberg with Defense & Aerospace Report Editor Vago Muradian at the Air Force Association's 2019 Air Space Cyber conference and tradeshow outside Washington, DC. Our coverage was sponsored by L3 Harris and Leonardo DRS.
Video:
Code:
https://youtu.be/Ttn1iUQRliU

I find it strange that Raytheon is planning to replace the Sidewinder and Joint Strike Missile with the Peregrine. I would think that it would be better to replace both the Sidewinder and the Joint Strike Missile with their own dedicated replacement.

I find it strange that Raytheon is planning to replace the Sidewinder and Joint Strike Missile with the Peregrine. I would think that it would be better to replace both the Sidewinder and the Joint Strike Missile with their own dedicated replacement.
Isn't the JSM an anti-ship missile essentially?

By JSM do you mean AMRAAM? Peregrine has nothing to do with JSM / NSM other than Raytheon's ownership / partnership.

As for replacing AMRAAM and AIM-9X with one missile though; it's definitely possible that an AIM-9X will be more agile than the Peregrine (the mock-up is simplistic and subject to change, but currently doesn't show indication of thrust vectoring or any divert thrusters), but ultimately having AIM-9Xs and AMRAAMs as separate missiles really limits your ability to adapt to changes in threats, and it can place somewhat silly limitations on aircraft design.

Consider the F-22's AIM-9 bays for example - if an F-22 can't or doesn't want to enter WVR of an enemy, those AIM-9s and the airframe compromises made to house them are useless, whereas Peregrines could still be employed from BVR. Or consider the F-35, which can't employ AIM-9s from its internal bays due to the Sidewinder's rail-launch requirement; if an F-35 finds itself in a WVR fight it'd like to have AIM-9Xs, but won't be able to carry them other than on external pylons (which regardless of how low observable they may be, are definitely not ideal if facing high-end threats); with Peregrine it'd simply be able to launch AIM-9X equivalents / near-equivalents from its internal bays, and without really trading away its ability to take out threats at BVR.

Even for 4th gen fighters, something like a Super Hornet carrying EFTs, an ATFLIR and some bombs will be limited to something like 1x AMRAAM (on a hip hardpoint opposite of the ATFLIR) and 2x Sidewinders. If Peregrine is integrated onto the wingtip Sidewinder rails (which I expect it would be) then the Super Hornet will be carrying 3x as many BVR missiles / 1 more WVR missile.

Edit: Also I forget to mention the AIM-260 JATM. Think of Peregrine like the AIM-9X's replacement and the AIM-260 as the AMRAAM's replacement, but with both missile types / categories simply getting longer ranged thanks to new / refined technologies.

Edit: Also I forget to mention the AIM-260 JATM. Think of Peregrine like the AIM-9X's replacement and the AIM-260 as the AMRAAM's replacement, but with both missile types / categories simply getting longer ranged thanks to new / refined technologies.

This. And let's not forget CUDA is still in the mix.

For now, but I see one missile being dropped realistically. CUDA is roughly Peregrine but with DACT. The DACT will take up space and cost range and the added manoeuvrability probably isn't necessary.

Little is known about the Peregrine and where it is in its development life-cycle, or whether it has been taken up by the USAF/USN for further testing. On the CUDA, which appears to be a much more mature effort, we know, for example, that the missile has been ground tested under the M-SHORAD effort at Lockheed and that the USAF has committed to a flight demonstration of its capability.

For now, but I see one missile being dropped realistically. CUDA is roughly Peregrine but with DACT. The DACT will take up space and cost range and the added manoeuvrability probably isn't necessary.

As opposed to hauling a blast/frag warhead the entire distance while losing endgame manuverability?