R-73 Missile variants?

lancer21

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
To me at least, seems to be a very confusing subject. I'm trying to figure out the evolution from the basic R-73/ Izd. 72 (RMD-1?) to the current variants R-74M/M2 Izd. 750 and Izd. 760. I've been trawling the net of course and this forum but like i said it's confusing.

So, what exactly is R-73M/ RMD-2? I keep reading that it was in testing in 1994 service from 1997, or 1999 according to a russian article (though even if true, perhaps it was built only in small numbers?)? What is the izdeliye number (Izd. 72M? something else?), and what seeker does it use (Mayak-80M/ MK-80M?)? One version says that the first 16 R-73M missiles (for testing) were ready in 1988-1989, the modernization program having been initiated in 1984.

Then there is the K-74ME shown at MAKS-1997, i've never seen a picture of it, but there must be one somewhere since articles keep mentioning it! Is this a renamed (and export) R-73M, or a further evolution (export version)? Again, what is the izdeliye number, is it Izd. 740 or something else? And what seeker (i have seen the designation MK-80ME)?

Finally, what is the relation between this K-74ME and the later RVV-MD/ R-74M/Izd.750 with the Impuls-90 seeker, is it the same missile just that it took over a decade to get it in testing and then production (due to the economic situation), or it's a further updated evolution. I have read that the IS-90 seeker was first shown in 2006, so it seems likely it couldn't have been part of the 1997 K-74ME. The russians have of course the habit of using designations repeatedly, there are two MiG-29Ks or MiG-29Ms or Su-35s etc. If that is the case with the current R-74MK/ML (re-using the name of the 1997 K-74ME) then what is the R-74 without suffix letter?

Lastly, some clarification comparing the MK-80, MK-80M and IS-90 seekers, i have read that the IS-90 is a two-colour seeker, but again the MK-80M is confusing, some source say it's still single colour, others that is two colour. As far as boresight angles it's 45 degrees for the MK-80, 60 degrees for the MK-80M and 60 or 75 for IS-90, not clear.

Many thanks!

'K-74ME'

Attachments

• R73_6.jpg
    R73_6.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 96
Many thanks Flateric! I knew i wasn't crazy, i've seen that K-74ME years back and was looking for it since! Is there a larger size available or that's what you have in your files?

As far as I have been able to figure out, R-73M = K-74M = RVV-MD as the "advanced R-73" development receded off into the distance.

Basically, much of the development and production facilities for AAMs were located in Ukraine, which complicated post-Soviet era missile development and production.

R-73 used the Mayak-80 (MK-80) seeker which is a single-block single-channel seeker. Lockon range is 8-12km, off-boresight capability +-45 deg, field of view +-45 deg. It still used to this day on R-73E missiles in production.

Mayak-80M (MK-80M) appears to be a version modified for use on the R-27T/ET, which replaced the earlier 36T seeker at some point, rather than an an upgraded seeker for the R-73.

1995-1996 Improved R-73M mentioned. R-73M1 and R-73M2 designations used by Janes (erroneously) for basic and improved R-73, with the latter having increased off-bore capability of +-60 deg. Trials said to have begun in 1994.

K-74M /K-74ME (Izdeliye 750) with Impuls-90 (IS-90) two band infrared seeker (developed by Ukrainian company Arsenal), increased off-bore (+-60deg) and digital signal processing shown at MAKS 97, and trials said to have started in 1994 which links it to R-73M.

K-74M is now designated RVV-MD.

RVV-MD passes state evaluations and is adopted for service as R-74MK (Izdeliye 750K, radar fuse) and R-74ML (Izdeliye 750L, laser fuse). The latter is known as RVV-MDL.

Russian company Duks get a contract for the first production batch of 153 R-74MK and R-74ML missiles for delivery by November
2015, using Ukrainian Impuls-90 seekers. Deteriorating relations between Kiev and Moscow after the Russian invasion of Crimea seems to have stalled progress however.

In April 2014, the Russian Radiozavod factory in Kyshtym was charged with production of the Impuls-90 seeker for the R-74M (the Ukrainians having handed over technical documentation of the seeker to Russia in the early 2000s). The first 12 test seekers were to be completed by October 2014. Reports suggest that Duks did not deliver a single R-74M missile by October 2016, because of the lack of Impuls seeker deliveries from Radiozavod. Reportedly, it was only in 2015 that the Radiozavod factory managed to master production of the older Mayak seekers for continued production (presumably Ukraine stopped supplying the Mayak-80 seekers)

However, Production RVV-MD missiles today (2023) are claimed to have two-colour seekers, so presumably the problems were solved.

Separately, Ukraine has offered an improved MK-2200 seeker which is two color infrared, lockon range increased to 14-16km, and off-boresight capability of +-60deg. This might be the same as Impuls-90 or a separate development.

The K-74M2 (Izdeliye 760) was intended to match or exceed modern Western IR AAMs such as ASRAAM and AIM-9X. It features the Karfagen-760 seeker by Russian AOMZ, improved 516-1M rocket motor, inertial control system and mid-course correction as well as reduced-span fins to fit into 320 x 320mm cross-section for internal carriage.

Firing tests started in April 8, 2016, and in July 2019 it was submitted for state evaluations. No news I am aware of regarding service entry and no pictures I am aware of.

Last edited:
As far as I have been able to figure out, R-73M = K-74M = RVV-MD as the "advanced R-73" development receded off into the distance.

Basically, much of the development and production facilities for AAMs were located in Ukraine, which complicated post-Soviet era missile development and production.

R-73 used the Mayak-80 (MK-80) seeker which is a single-block single-channel seeker. Lockon range is 8-12km, off-boresight capability +-45 deg, field of view +-45 deg. It still used to this day on R-73E missiles in production.

Mayak-80M (MK-80M) appears to be a version modified for use on the R-27T/ET, which replaced the earlier 36T seeker at some point, rather than an an upgraded seeker for the R-73.

1995-1996 Improved R-73M mentioned. R-73M1 and R-73M2 designations used by Janes (erroneously) for basic and improved R-73, with the latter having increased off-bore capability of +-60 deg. Trials said to have begun in 1994.

K-74M /K-74ME (Izdeliye 750) with Impuls-90 (IS-90) two band infrared seeker (developed by Ukrainian company Arsenal), increased off-bore (+-60deg) and digital signal processing shown at MAKS 97, and trials said to have started in 1994 which links it to R-73M.

K-74M is now designated RVV-MD.

RVV-MD passes state evaluations and is adopted for service as R-74MK (Izdeliye 750K, radar fuse) and R-74ML (Izdeliye 750L, laser fuse). The latter is known as RVV-MDL.

Russian company Duks get a contract for the first production batch of 153 R-74MK and R-74ML missiles for delivery by November
2015, using Ukrainian Impuls-90 seekers. Deteriorating relations between Kiev and Moscow after the Russian invasion of Crimea seems to have stalled progress however.

In April 2014, the Russian Radiozavod factory in Kyshtym was charged with production of the Impuls-90 seeker for the R-74M (the Ukrainians having handed over technical documentation of the seeker to Russia in the early 2000s). The first 12 test seekers were to be completed by October 2014. Reports suggest that Duks did not deliver a single R-74M missile by October 2016, because of the lack of Impuls seeker deliveries from Radiozavod. Reportedly, it was only in 2015 that the Radiozavod factory managed to master production of the older Mayak seekers for continued production (presumably Ukraine stopped supplying the Mayak-80 seekers)

However, Production RVV-MD missiles today (2023) are claimed to have two-colour seekers, so presumably the problems were solved.

Separately, Ukraine has offered an improved MK-2200 seeker which is two color infrared, lockon range increased to 14-16km, and off-boresight capability of +-60deg. This might be the same as Impuls-90 or a separate development.

The K-74M2 (Izdeliye 760) was intended to match or exceed modern Western IR AAMs such as ASRAAM and AIM-9X. It features the Karfagen-760 seeker by Russian AOMZ, improved 516-1M rocket motor, inertial control system and mid-course correction as well as reduced-span fins to fit into 320 x 320mm cross-section for internal carriage.

Firing tests started in April 8, 2016, and in July 2019 it was submitted for state evaluations. No news I am aware of regarding service entry and no pictures I am aware of.
Thanks for your insight Overscan. I have been further digging out on the www for more info, and collating everything i've read, there seem to be 4 R-73 stages:

1. R-73/RDM-1/ izd 72, basic version, MK-80 seeker, no need to dwelve into it further.

2. R-73M/RDM-2, Izd. 72M?, izd. 740?/R-74?/K-74ME, range 40km, first modernization ordered in 1984, first 16 missiles ready 1988-89 (ballistic testing?), in testing (guided?) in 1994, said to be ready for production in 1997, possibly a small series built and in service from 1999? Seeker is Mk-80M (or ME for export), based on everything i've read this seeker was initially indeed meant for R-73 modernization, that later might have been offered by Arsenal for R-27T/ET. Is there any evidence of any sort that anyone (most likely an export customer) got Mk-80M seekers on the R-27T/ET? Genuinely interested.
I have found an article in Vzlet 5/2006 that clearly says K-74ME has a MK-80M seeker, and also the K-74ME picture from Flateric (aparently by Piotr Butowski), there is no mention at all of the IS-90/MM-2000 seeker. Since as i understand the MM-2000 it was first unveiled in 2006 (as per the UDR 2013 article available on the www) that of course makes sense. Is there any mention in literature from late 1990s to early 2000s of the Impuls-90/MM-2000 seeker? Or indeed any other articles on/mentioning the K-74ME in that timeframe?

3. RVV-MD/R-74ML/MK /Izd.750, second modernization, first mentioned in 2006-2007? IS-90 seeker (or whatever it ended up using after 2014) etc etc., the rest is as you detailed in your post above.

4. RVV-MD2/R-74M2/ Izd.760, third modernization, unveiled few weeks ago, Karfagen-760 seeker, compressed for Su-57 carriage, range 50km etc.etc.

Regarding Arsenal seekers, this is what i found on the www, see images below.

Corrections and comments to the above are most welcome.

Attachments

• BSWJI7m.jpg
    BSWJI7m.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 84
  • C4h8grJWQAA0hj5.jpg
    C4h8grJWQAA0hj5.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 79
  • C4h8hZYWMAEynSh.jpg
    C4h8hZYWMAEynSh.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Optychni-GSN-dlya-aviatsijnyh-raket-klasu-povitrya-povitrya-rozrobky-ta-vyrobnytstva-KP-SP-Ars...png
    Optychni-GSN-dlya-aviatsijnyh-raket-klasu-povitrya-povitrya-rozrobky-ta-vyrobnytstva-KP-SP-Ars...png
    70.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
According to Piotr Butowski, K-74ME was presented at MAKS 97. I haven't been able to validate that yet, but he's pretty reliable. He did go to MAKS 97...

The only mention I found so far of an Arsenal seeker MK-80M in original Arsenal material is about fitting it to R-27T/ET which specifically suggests it is a single band MK-80, modified to fit the R-27.

The first picture of the MK-2000, This could be Mayak-2000 i.e. upgraded two colour MK-80 aka "MK-80M". This might be the same seeker as the IS-90 or an alternative to it. Specs are pretty similar.

Nothing I've seen suggests IS-90 was MM-2000. IS-90 was no more than a 2 colour, slightly improved MK-80. MM-2000 is more like Karfagen-760 in capability.

The only difference of opinion is the existence or not of production of a batch of improved R-73 (R-73M?) with 2 colour seeker prior to 2016, possibly 1999.

Which factory built them? Test missile batches may be made by OKB, but production is usually assigned to a factory, I think original R-73 production was in Ukraine like R-27, and the seekers were built in Ukraine. When did Russian production of R-73 start? Did Ukraine built them?

I'll do a bit more digging later.

Last edited:
Serial production of R-73 missiles began in 1983 and until 1992 was carried out by the Tbilisi Aviation Plant (Tbilisi, Georgia), and at the Moscow Kommunar plant [This is Duks, as below] (east - Tymchuk D.). A total of 6,000 missiles were produced in Tbilisi. In the 1990s, the production of missiles for export and, possibly, for the Russian Air Force was probably carried out by pilot production of the State Design Bureau "Vympel"

According to the company history they had a bit of hiatus in the 1990s with no missile production and only started production again in 1998-1999.
In the 1990s, the economic conditions for the functioning of the oldest aviation enterprise in Moscow, located in the very center of the capital, also changed.

Having analyzed the real situation and trends in the industry, the company’s staff decided to become a corporatist and managed to bring it to life in 1993. The historical name “DUKS” was returned to the plant. But the company returned to its leading position in serial supplies of aviation weapons only in 1998–1999, having stabilized its financial position.
According to all documentation on launchers compatibility, etc, the production R-73 versions were R-73E, R-73EL, and currently RVV-MD.

So if there was an R-73M in the 1990s, it would have been limited production from Vympel's pilot production facilities.

Last edited:
All-Weather Archer
Russian guided-weapon and radar manufacturers offer further variants of AA-11 dogfight missile
DOUGLAS BARRIE/LONDON

Russia’s Vympel is touting an active radar-guided version of the R-73 (AA-11 Archer) air-to-air missile, overcoming some of the limitations of its present infrared seeker.

Vympel and radar-seeker manufacturer AGAT are discussing fitting either a centimetric- or millimetric-wave band radar seeker to the basic R-73 missile body. Infrared seeker performance is degraded by atmospheric humidity and cloud. The Archer was the spur to Western short-range missile development when it first emerged in the late 1980s, since it completely outclassed even late model AIM-9 Sidewinder variants.

Some preliminary design work on fitting a radar seeker has been carried out, according Gennady Sokolovsky, Vympel’s general designer. Josef Akopyan, head of AGAT, says the seeker has been tested in the laboratory, but has yet to undergo trials in an anechoic chamber. Western missile designers have also considered the use of a radar seeker on a “short-range” missile to overcome issues associated with IR and, to a lesser extent, imaging-IR seekers (IIR).

Comparatively early in the British Advanced Short-Range Air-to-Air Missile (Asraam) program, preliminary study work was carried out on a radar guidance
option. Italy also looked at this area with its TA20 project. This weapon was intended to use a wide-band seeker.

Fitting the Asraam missile, which has a clean airframe, with a far more aerodynamically efficient radome, rather than the blunter ITR dome, also offered a range extension to the missile’s already considerable launch envelope.

The R-73 design is optimized for maneuverability, using both aerodynamic control surfaces and thrust vectoring of the rocket efflux. Sokolovsky says there would be a minimum modification of the airframe for the radar-guided version. The R-73 has a 170-mm. body diameter, while the AGAT seeker has
been sized for a 150-mm.-dia. weapon. Neither AGAT nor Vympel would comment on why the radar seeker was sized for a 150-mm.-dia. body.

Vympel has been working on a successor design to the R-73, designated the,K-30, for more than a decade but will not discuss its status. The use of the K designation denotes a developmental program.

The extent of any Russian air force interest in a radar-guided R-73 derivative is unknown. However, a priority—if it can be funded—is likely to be the acquisition of a counterpart to the AIM-9X, Asraam or Python 5, rather than an Archer upgrade.

Sokolovsky uses the R-73-1 designation when discussing a radar-guided version of the basic Archer. Besides removing the angle-of-attack indicators
mounted immediately after the IR seeker dome, and fitting a collar reducing the diameter by 20 mm. to 150 mm., he says nothing else is modified.

Two variants of the 9B- 1103M-150 seeker are being examined, one centimeter- and the other millimeter-wave, according to Akopyan. The latter wave band provides the desired target resolution. The seeker, which is also being proposed for surface-to- air applications, weighs 8 kg.
(17.6 lb.). An acquisition range of 5 mi. is claimed against a standardized target with a 5-sq.-meter radar cross section.

According to Sokolovsky, Vympel is also working on upgrading the infrared seeker of the R-73. He says it is looking at fitting some form of staring array
imaging-IR seeker. The source of the seeker remains to be clarified. One option would be to look to Arsenal, a Ukrainian manufacturer. Arsenal was one of the main IR seeker design and production companies during the Soviet era. However, the extent to which the two companies are continuing to cooperate is uncertain.

Vympel may be looking for an indigenous Russian capability. The two previously worked on an improved variant of the Mk. 80 seeker originally developed for the R-73. This project was associated with the K-74ME designation.
AWST July 11 2005

Last edited:
NEW VERSIONS OF THE trend—setting, thrust—vectored R—73 or AA-11 “Archer” designed for close combat were also revealed by Vympel for the first time, including the production R—73EL, being released for export, and an upgraded K—74ME. These differ only in detail from the current AA—11 with the R—73EL substituting a laser proximity fuze in a lateral window behind the forward guide vanes for the original active radar fuze.

As its designation indicates, the K—74ME is still experimental although fully developed. It is identical to earlier R—73s, except for a more sensitive digital infrared seeker head made by the Arsenal bureau. Although non-imaging, this new seeker increases target acquisition range from 30 km. (16 naut. mi.) to 40km. (22 naut. mi.). Off-boresight target detection angles of up to 75 deg. are claimed for both missiles.
AWST 1 Sept 1997

Loads of RVV-MD (R-74) production pics here, from 2019, from Joint Stock Company "Special Design Technological Bureau "Kurganpribor" - this factory opened in 2015 apparently.

The new missile has been supplied to the troops in small quantities since 2015. The photographs from Syria, distributed by the Ministry of Defense, show that the new ammunition was tested there on Su-30SM multirole fighters. The increase in deliveries was made possible by the commissioning in 2018 of a serial plant for their production in Kurgan.

Where was the R-74M2 unveiled? I must have missed that.
See here:

They only used the export RVV-MD2 designation, but that must be for all intents and purposes the R-74M2.

From the link, article with lots of pictures, data etc.

Cheers!

Previous info was R-74M2 fitted into 320 x 320 square box. The diagonal distance from corner to corner of this box is 453mm, this missile is 434mm wingspan.

For what it's worth, this is the article i found that says the R-73M RMD-2 was in service since 1999. The translation seems to say it has a two-colour seeker, range 18,5km, 60 degrees boresight.

But from what i read on MK-80M, in some places it says it's still single colour, in others that is two colour.

And i woldn't even try to make head and tail of the Arsenal designation mess, there is MM-2000, MK-2000, MK-2200, MR-2000, I33, A3 and so forth.

Re the association between IS-90 and MM-2000, i found that online in couple of places, now whether accurate or not i don't know. But it kinda fits with the timing, MM-2000 was unveiled in 2006, about the time work on the RVV-MD was getting started.

In summary -

R-73 produced until 1992 at Duks factory in Russia and Tbilisi Georgia. Hiatus in production until 1998-1999 (possibly filled by production from Vympel's pilot / test facilities) when R-73 production resumes at Duks, Moscow. R-73E and R-73EL versions produced for export.

K-74ME is shown at MAKS 1997 but in 2005, Vympel still don't know what seeker it will use yet.

K-74M gets RVV-MD designation about 2008.

Testing of RVV-MD completes in 2012. In 2013 Duks get a contract to build some. Lack of seekers from Ukraine causes hiatus in production. Small quantities produced in 2015/2016. Seeker issues resolved. New factory in Kurgan opens and starts mass production. Offered for export.

K-74M2 - first tests in 2016. Production underway in 2023.

I don't see any proof of R-73M ever getting to production, its just test missiles and export hopes leading eventually to the R-74M.

IS-90 iseeker s from 1997, not 2006. The specs makes it probably the same as MK-2000. MM-2000 is a much more modern seeker.

That article is quoting the Duks person talking about their factories' resumption of an 'improved' R-73 in 1998-1999 (as discussed above) but much of the other detail is I think speculation. Improved could have many meanings in this context, and the designations used for the different versions in the article seem to follow Janes rather than anything else.

Ukraine has jeopardized the export of Russian combat aircraft by stopping the supply of thermal homing heads for the Mayak seeker for the R-73E close-in missiles, which are equipped with all Russian combat aircraft. The promising missiles that are being developed to replace the R-73 are not yet ready even for the Russian Air Force. When they will be exported, it is even more unknown.

Buyers of Russian aircraft may soon be left without R-73 close-in missiles, which “catch up” with enemy aircraft using an infrared homing head. These missiles operate on the “fire and forget” principle and remain one of the most formidable weapons against aircraft. The latest modifications of the missile (RMD-2) have an all-angle multi-site homing head with a dual-band cooled photodetector, the sensitivity of which is twice as high as the basic version. These devices, called MK-80 “Mayak”, have been produced by the Kiev Arsenal plant since Soviet times.

As a representative of the military-industrial circles told Gazeta.Ru, deliveries of these devices from Ukraine ceased in March 2014, and the stocks that the manufacturing plant has are practically exhausted.
https://www.gazeta.ru/politics/2015/02/19_a_6418029.shtml

“Homing heads for the R-73 are made by the Arsenal plant in Kiev; since March last year, all deliveries of these products have been stopped. If we do not establish production of similar products in Russia in the next six months, the combat aircraft that we offer for export may be left without close-in missiles. What is available is designed for 2-3 years,” explained a representative of the military-industrial complex.

The rocket can only be in operation for a couple of years, since the infrared sensors need constant cooling with liquefied gas. It is thanks to them that the rocket is able to see a target in a sector of 120 degrees, and due to supersonic speed, it can reach objects flying at an altitude of 20 m to 20 km.

The R-73 was created at the Vympel design bureau in 1983 and is still the main close combat weapon for all modifications of the MiG-31 interceptors, MiG-29 and Su-27 front-line fighters, Su-34 front-line bombers, Su- 25TM and combat training aircraft Yak-130.

The leadership of Vympel told Gazeta.Ru that they were aware of the problem of the shortage of Ukrainian GOS, but refused to discuss it, citing state secrets.

The design bureau stressed that work is underway on another promising short-range missile, which should be ready just in the next few years.
In turn, the Air Force command told Gazeta.Ru that although the R-73s are used in combat mode for a maximum of 2–3 years, they can be stored much longer: “We have a lot of these missiles stored, and in storage mode they can be in working condition up to 30 years. So it will be enough for our century, ”the representative of the Air Force assures.
However, stopping supplies from Ukraine could jeopardize the export of Russian combat aircraft.

At various times, the missile was supplied to Algeria, Bangladesh, Bulgaria, Hungary, Vietnam, Germany, Egypt, India, Iran, Iraq, Italy, Kazakhstan, China, North Korea, Cuba, Peru, Poland, Serbia, Syria, Slovakia, Eritrea, Ethiopia and SOUTH AFRICA.

A representative of the Dux plant, which produces the R-73, told Gazeta.Ru that production of the missile continues to ensure export supplies and has a stock of seekers for the next few years, but also declined to make other comments.

Another representative of the plant explained that the production of the Mayak GOS was launched at one of the Russian enterprises from modern components, but large-scale orders are required for the project to pay off.

“You need to understand that Arsenal assembled these “heads” from Russian components, so there were no special problems with organizing production. Now this production has been recreated in Russian conditions using modern element base. Therefore, in order to recoup this project, serious volumes of orders are needed. The higher the production volumes, the cheaper the price for each product will be,” explained the interlocutor of Gazeta.Ru.
The interlocutor acknowledged that the demand for R-73 missiles remains "stably high." “We supply these and other missiles to several countries of the world, so there should be no problems here,” a Dux spokesman said.
Viktor Murakhovsky, a member of the public council of the government's Military-Industrial Commission , believes that the Air Force has enough reserves to manage the mass production of new Russian next-generation missiles. “In my opinion, the stock of such missiles is quite sufficient to resolve local issues. Newly developed missiles, which are made by the Tactical Missiles Corporation, are supplied exclusively by Russian manufacturers. The fact that they have not yet passed state tests is another matter. But we have a fairly large overlap in reserves,” Murakhovsky said.

Thanks for these very interesting articles, and do please post if you have more, either AWST, Jane's, russian sources, ukrainian sources re those Arsenal seekers etc. You mention the IS-90 is from 1997, have you found any contemporary source to mention it by that name back then?

No, that's from a recentish Piotr Butowski article.

I have Janes Air Launched Weapons 40 (2002) and 35 (1997). Janes seem to have just repeated the same slightly confused stuff, confusing features of planned new versions with the earlier models.

Last edited:
Here is what i found on Keypub, MM-2000 article from 2006
The Kiev Arsenal central design bureau has presented for the first time ever an optic homing head of the new generation MM-2000 at the Aviasvit-XXI airshow. The head is designed for newly developed short range aircraft-based missiles for close mobile air fight, as well as for the modernization of existing missiles.
A distinctive feature of the MM-2000 head is a highly sensitive multielement two-spectra receiver of infrared radiation, programmable antijamming algorithms suitable for the new generation of targets and interference, an option for external target indication from helmet-mounted target indication system and an optic or radar station. The head also has an extended, up to 60 degrees, target indication range.

As it is well known, Arsenal is the developer and the serial manufacturer of thermal radiation homing head Mayak-80 and its modifications for short range missile R-73 (AA-11 Archer, according to NATO classification). This missile is the principle weapon in a close air fight for Russian fighters and for aircraft produced for export. As of today, there are two major types of P-73 missile produced for Russian aircraft and for export: one with non-contact radar detonator Krechet and another one with laser non-contact detonator Yantar. Both types of the missile were designed during Soviet time. The Moscow-based plant Kommunar, now joint-stock company Dooks, produces the missiles serially. Missile control during its operation, as well as preparation for application in action are performed at a support station Gurt designed by the Ukrainian state-owned joint-stock holding company Artem.

It is likely that the homing head of the new generation MM-2000 presented by the Arsenal Central Design Bureau will be used for the serious modernization of the R-73 missile. The Russian Vympel design bureau, a member of the Tactical Missiles Armament Corporation, is cherishing plans for this, what is quite in line with the Russian state programme for armament. Again it is Vympel which develops perspective air-to-air missiles of short, medium and long range, increasing their combat effectiveness gradually in order to equip with them the fighter of the fifth generation.

Earlier, in late 2005, representatives of the Vympel deign bureau said that R-73 missile would be equipped with Russian infrared homing head, but it appeared that they were speaking about an improved monochrome infrared receiver. It was not any better than a serial MK-80 homing head for regular R-73 missile from the Ukrainian supplier. Moreover, after the collapse of the Soviet Union there appeared a variant of the R-73 missile with improved thermal radiation homing heads produced at the Arsenal Central Design Bureau. The head has an extended up to 60 degrees target indication range (for a standard R-73 missile this value was only 45 degrees) and better energy characteristics.

Nevertheless, the management of the Vympel design bureau said that the modernized missile would be ready for serial production in late 2006. This missile will have a completely new digital hardware (earlier it was equipped with analogue hardware) and new software for homing head and flight control. Thanks to this, all its performance will improve including a flight range, sensitivity, manoeuvrability and jamming resistance. Although a solid fuel missile engine will not undergo any changes, the effective flight range of R-73 will increase by 40 per cent and reach 40 km, the developers say. This result will be achieved due to an improvement in the missile control system that would enable it to select the best path.

Nevertheless, there is no information about serial production of the Russian homing head and the new version of the R-73 missile. This may indicate indirectly that Russians have failed to solve all the problems to begin producing thermal radiation homing heads on their own.

Last edited:
Interesting stuff about a connection between Arsenal seekers and China from 2017:

And just the other day, the State-owned Special Instrumentation Enterprise (KSP) Arsenal, together with the Artem State Chemical Company, announced its readiness to begin production of modernized missiles of the R-27 and R-73 types. It is worth noting here that Arsenal produces homing heads (GOS) for these missiles, which are the main weapon of the MiG-29 and Su-27 fighters (and their modifications).

After the collapse of the USSR, the production of GOS remained in Ukraine, and throughout the entire period of independence, all Russian export contracts for the supply of these missiles, complete with batches of aircraft around the world, were provided precisely by our enterprises. Exports flourished in the 2000s - according to incomplete data only for 2002–2006. sold 1,343 R-27 units to foreign customers. Moreover, the main customer was the Chinese military.

At the same time, the PRC paid attention to the production of GOS at Arsenal. With Chinese money, a special design bureau was created, which began developing new seekers. And at once in several directions. Our specialists went to the Celestial Empire to teach for a year or two, and a large amount of documentation was exported.

Only the customer knows the specific results of this work and the invested funds, but the directions of work are known from open sources - the modernization of the R-27 and R-73 missiles, the modernization of the Strela and Igla MANPADS, as well as the development of the seeker for a new air-to surface missile. What else happened is unknown.

In addition to the purchase of the missiles themselves, 590 units were supplied from Ukraine in 2006 alone. R-27 – modernization was also carried out by replacing the seeker. This is how homing heads were born, now known to us as I33-12 for the R-73 and A3-10 for the R-27T (the Chinese designation is unknown). Thus, the characteristics of the I33-12, among other things, make it possible to increase the acquisition range of an air target by one and a half times. The characteristics of the A3-10 are also impressive - in particular, the range of the missile against a typical target increases from 18 to 30 km (according to Soviet traditions, this is the F-15 fighter).

Under what conditions the work was carried out is again unknown, but if Arsenal has now announced the start of modernizing missiles for its own Air Force, then it is likely that the Chinese do not own full ownership of our developments. This is indirectly confirmed by the fact that the plan for the development of air defense of Ukraine also includes such a program for the modernization of the Igla MANPADS and the Strela-2M MANPADS under the factory index "336-24".

And here the new infrared homing head, which “suddenly” appeared at the Arsenal Central Design Bureau, was taken as the basis for the modernization of the complex. It is expected that the new complex will be superior to such a complex as the Stinger in a number of parameters.

Moreover, it is already known that a new solid fuel developed by the same Pavlograd Chemical Plant has been developed for the missiles of these MANPADS. Military tests of launch complexes are already underway, which are combined into blocks of 4-6-8 pieces and can be installed on wheeled armored vehicles. Considering that in this case the weight limit for a separate launcher will no longer be as critical as for a portable complex, the missile range can be increased by installing a more powerful engine.

Thus, subject to the establishment of serial assembly, Ukraine will be able to fill the vacuum that has formed in the Ukrainian army in the short-range military air defense segment, as well as significantly strengthen the capabilities of the fighter component of the Air Force.

And there, you see, we may soon see corrected air bombs or guided air-to-surface missiles. Who knows what Ukrainian scientists have come up with for Chinese money over the past fifteen years...​

That is very, very interesting. So likely PLAAF has modernized R-27T/ET and R-73 missiles. And i would not be surprised if the Gran AAM has something to do with PL-10.
In parallel to all this, there is also a belarussian R-73 upgrade, called R-73BM. Any details of the seeker, what would be called?

Article by Douglas Barrie and Piotr Butowski. The Russian stuff is Butowski.

The R-73 (AA-11 Archer) remains the standard Russian close-air combat missile and was developed together with, and especially for, the MiG-29 and Su-27 fighters. Securing and delivering a successor project, however, has so far proved elusive.

The Molniya (lightning) and Vympel (pennant) missile design bureaux competed for the original requirement in the latter half of the 1970s, with the former’s proposal being preferred. The Molniya project was the more technically challenging, using a combination of aerodynamic surfaces and thrust-vector control to provide the required manoeuvrability.

The R-73 was to be Molniya’s last air-to-air missile (AAM) design. In April 1982, after the design bureau was assigned to develop the Buran space shuttle orbiter, a group of 300 missile technologists from Molniya transferred to Vympel to complete work on the R-73. The missile entered production in 1982 and went into service in late 1983. Production to date is likely to have exceeded 50,000 missiles, including exports.

The R-73 has, and continues to be, the focus of a handful of upgrade projects, in part because of the lack of an available follow-on. As far back as the 1980s the then Soviet Union began to consider a successor as part of the AAM inventory for the air force’s MFI fifth-generation fighter programme. Known as the Vympel K-30 (izdeliye 300), the design was to be fitted with a new imaging infrared (IIR) seeker enabling target identification and aim-point selection. The intended seeker would offer more than twice the lock-on range and would be allied with a more powerful double-pulse solid-propellant motor and an all-moving nozzle for thrust-vector control. The missile project was never completed.

The collapse of the Soviet Union and the ensuing economic turmoil undoubtedly impacted the development of a follow-on to the R-73. This difficulty has been only compounded by the breakdown in relations with Ukraine – part of the former Soviet Union until 1992. Within the Soviet Union, Ukrainian industry played a central role in AAM development and production including producing infrared seekers.

It’s likely the K-30 was originally intended for service entry in the late 1990s, but by 1997 Vympel was showing a mock-up of what was called the K-74M at the Moscow International Aviation and Space Salon (MAKS). The K-74M (izdeliye 750) design replaced the previous Mayak (lighthouse) seeker with the two-band infrared Impuls-90 seeker. The Impuls-90 (impulse; IS-90) seeker is more sensitive (maximum range is 9.3- 12.4 miles, 15-20km) and it has an increased offbore- sight angle of +/-60°. The K-74M also introduced digital signal processing. Apart from minor changes in the dimensions of the seeker, the external appearance of the missile is unchanged. The new Impuls seeker, like the previous Mayak, was developed by the Ukrainian Arsenal Company of Kiev.

The programme, however, then disappeared from public view for more than a decade, only for the missile to be displayed again in 2009 with the export designation RVVMD (Raketa Vozdukh-Vozdukh Maloy Dalnosti, short-range air-to-air missile).

The K-74M missile completed state evaluation in October 2012 and was officially commissioned into service with the Russian Air Force with the military designation R-74M (the letter K denotes a missile in the development phase; after entering service it receives the R designation). It is fielded in two sub-variants: the R-74MK (izdeliye 750K) with radar proximity fuse and R-74ML (izdeliye 750L) with laser fuse; the latter is offered for export as the RVV-MDL.

On June 7, 2013, the Duks Company of Moscow secured an order from the Russian defence ministry to produce the first batch of 153 R-74MK and ML missiles by November 2015. Accordingly, in August 2013, Duks signed a follow-on contract with Ukraine’s Arsenal to deliver Impuls-90 seekers. Yuri Klishin, the general manager of Duks, told Russian reporters in June 2016 that since the previous year his company had been delivering a new missile developed from the R-73; undoubtedly, he meant the R-74. However, other Russian media reports suggest production of the R-74M is at a standstill because of the lack of components produced in Ukraine.

The current conflict between Russia and Ukraine has severed military co-operation between the countries, including deliveries of Mayak and Impuls infrared seekers from the Arsenal Company. Despite their efforts, the Russians have not managed to replace the Ukrainian seekers with an indigenous development; the Karfagen seeker from the AOMZ company (see below) is not yet ready for production. In April 2014, the Russian Radiozavod factory in Kyshtym was charged with mastering production of the Impuls-90 seeker for the R-74M (the Ukrainians had handed over the missile documentation to Russia in the early 2000s). The first 12 test seekers were to be completed by October 2014.

However, reports suggest that Duks did not deliver a single R-74M missile by at least October 2016, because of the dearth of Impuls seeker deliveries from Radiozavod. Reportedly, in 2015 the Radiozavod factory mastered production of the older Mayak seekers only.

Internal requirements

The Russian Air Force still required a short-range missile – aside from failing to fully develop an R-73 successor – for internal carriage needs as part of the AAM weapons inventory for the PAK FA fifth-generation fighter. The Sukhoi Su-57 (T-50) design has two small supplementary bays each capable of carrying a single AAM.

The K-74M2 (izdeliye 760) is intended for release from these two ‘quick launch’ weapons bays on the Su-57 (the R-73 and R-74M can only be carried externally). To meet the internal carriage specifications, the missile’s crosssection dimensions are reduced to 12.6 x 12.6in (320 x 320mm). Moreover, the K-74M2 has the new Karfagen-760 (Carthage) seeker made by the Russian Azov AOMZ company and an improved 516-1M rocket motor from the Kartukov Iskra company with increased specific impulse and a longer burn time.

Thanks to an inertial flight control system with radio data link for mid-course correction (absent on the previous missiles) the K-74M2 can be fired in a lockon- after-launch (LOAL) mode, initially flying under inertial control before achieving in-flight lock-on. The K-74M2 is intended to match the performance of the MBDA ASRAAM and the Raytheon AIM-9X Sidewinder (see part one, May, p62-65). Judging by the information available, the K-74M2 missile is currently undergoing flight tests. According to other reports, the first examples of the Karfagen-760 seeker are still in construction; it’s possible the missile is now being tested with another, provisional seeker. The K-74M2 missile has not yet been displayed in public.

That is very, very interesting. So likely PLAAF has modernized R-27T/ET and R-73 missiles. And i would not be surprised if the Gran AAM has something to do with PL-10.
In parallel to all this, there is also a belarussian R-73 upgrade, called R-73BM. Any details of the seeker, what would be called?
Air-to-Air Missiles with Belarusian Accent

Belarusian company “Belspetsvneshtechnika” has performed an upgrade of R-60 and R-73 missiles. The air-to-air missiles are used by all Soviet and Russian fighter aircraft. Belarusian specialists have developed an upgrade program that significantly extends service life of the ammo and enhances its combat capabilities.

Belarusian R-60BM and R-73BM missiles can be launched not only from aircraft, but also from ground-based systems, which makes them a versatile means of air defense. By the way, using air-to-air missiles with ground-based air defense systems is a standard procedure. For instance, this is exactly how Israeli Spyder SR system operates.

The missiles have also received a new autopilot control unit with modern algorithms of missile homing, new proximity laser fuse that ensures reliable detonation of warhead in pre-determined area, new engine and other upgrades.

This doesn't mention seeker upgrades.

This article does, and it sounds like the RVV-MD seeker, which is likely what it has.

Attachments

• IMG_20231122_181725.jpg
    IMG_20231122_181725.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20231122_181752.jpg
    IMG_20231122_181752.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20231122_182011.jpg
    IMG_20231122_182011.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20231122_183012.jpg
    IMG_20231122_183012.jpg